Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2001 2:41:13 PM EDT
If the SHTF!  Yup, three of my friends have said that to me.  Do you call get the same?  Have I somehow become the protector of Chicagoland?  
One dude does have a Glock 19, with 300 rds.  One gave me his grandpa's .22 pistol, cause his new wife ordered him to give it away.  He was the first to say it.  
The other is Jewish, and still will not buy or touch a gun!!  So, why come to me for protection?  

Anyways, lets here some good stories from this past week!!
c-rock
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 2:51:09 PM EDT
[#1]
YEP! Not so crazy now are we? I had one girl at work offer to buy any gun I would sell. I told her they are not for sale. But I would give her one if it came to that. I got a pretty smile from her today.[:D] That was worth the payment but I won't tell her that.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 2:59:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 3:04:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Hah, the reason I would have for coming to your house is simply because I loved the way those pop cans exploded with your shotgun when I threw them for ya at the pit, and would love to see how good you are if I get the honor to launch some terrorist's heads for ya to shoot mid-air.

Hell, my dad and I just ordered 4000 rounds of 9mm, and are looking for some good .223 cause I think hes "biting the bullet" and gonna let me get a nice AR15.  I am even offering to pay for the damn thing.

Anyone know the best place to get some nice 30 round USGI's?  I dont even know where to start...
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 3:06:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I have been asked to suggest firearms, I have been asked to watch out for chrildren and wives. No one in there right mind will ask me to sell one of mine. Seems the crazy guy on this block now is being asked for a lot of advice.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 3:08:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
No stories per se, although I did have a couple of Anti acquaintances ask if I would loan them some kind of gun.  I replied that as I did not have the time to do a background check, and lacked the time to train them, doing so would be irresponsible at best.  One of them got the message, but the second started to beg a little.  I held up my hand, palm out, and told him that if just one child's life was made safer, it was worth it.  He then got the message too.
In a related vein, I handed out 4 applications for my gun club this week.
View Quote

[b]EXCELLENT[/B]

that just made my day.  way to stay on the toes.  i seriously think a lot of them will see the error of their ways when the violence starts hitting close to home.  "hmmmmm, very unlikely death of my children if i practice smart and safe gun handling and storage procedures or highly likely but incredibly unpredictable death of my children by the violence that's hitting our nation from outside its borders?"  seems to the answer to that one is easy enough.

good job.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 3:11:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 3:14:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I always tell these "foul weather friends" that they had better be sure I want to be found. Then I ask them what supplies they are bringing to help out. They usually get real quiet after that.

I have never been asked for a gun. That would be funny!

-elliott
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 3:18:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Too funny !  I have had 2 of my friends say the same thing...  "if things get bad I AM coming to your house..."
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 3:18:25 PM EDT
[#9]
None of my friends would ask to come to my house if the SHTF. With [i]only[/i] 100-150 guns in my personal collection most of my friends consider me under armed. All my friends are [i]serious[/i] firearms enthusiast.[;)] I do not associate with anti's.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 3:19:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Have had a little bit of that, but not from too many anti's.  Mostly people that are pro-gun, but don't have their own.  Although, the guy that said it the most did finally break down and got something.

He's pretty cool.  People that have ever told me that I never needed to have guns.  I would tell, "I got rid of them all, you told me I did not need them."
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 3:20:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Talking at lunch today with an anti. I said I was prepared to defend my wife and I. That I did not expect to be able to call 911 ad survive a home invasion without a firearm. He said after last Tuesday he's thinking about getting a gun to protect his family. People are starting to realize that they need to protect themselves. He is what I consider an extreme liberal.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 3:30:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I always tell these "foul weather friends" that they had better be sure I want to be found. Then I ask them what supplies they are bringing to help out. They usually get real quiet after that.

I have never been asked for a gun. That would be funny!

-elliott
View Quote

Mind if I use those comments?
I've been asked, "...got any guns for sale?"
I think that's a freakin' rude question to ask anybody, anyway.
They ask because during the Klinton years, I made no bones about my stance on our Constitutional Rights and gun ownership.
Now, I'm one of the "gun guys".
My answer to the rude question was, "...what?  I don't even LIKE guns.  Why would you ask me THAT?"
The look on this person's face was priceless.
I try not to talk about things like guns around certain people after that.

Another person said the "...I'm coming to your house" and I told them to call first, knock loud when they get there.
One gal is a "stew" with American Airlines and was NOT flying on 911/Tuesday; I told her she was welcome to come by in a crisis.
Never know.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 3:36:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
No stories per se, although I did have a couple of Anti acquaintances ask if I would loan them some kind of gun.  I replied that as I did not have the time to do a background check, and lacked the time to train them, doing so would be irresponsible at best.  One of them got the message, but the second started to beg a little.  I held up my hand, palm out, and told him that if just one child's life was made safer, it was worth it.  He then got the message too.
In a related vein, I handed out 4 applications for my gun club this week.
View Quote

Awesome!  We must convert as many as possible while they're still open to listening.  I know it's not exactly ethical to take advantage of what happened last week, but it's not less honorable than what the antis do.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 3:41:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 3:46:33 PM EDT
[#15]
That's it.

When things cool down, I'm stocking up on lorcins.

Next time this happens, those lorcins are going for $500 a pop.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 3:47:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
GBT, please show me how I was unethical in my actions.
I simply held the individuals to their own standards.
I carry rifle club apps with me always and have handed out dozens.
View Quote

I wasn't trying to say what you did was unethical.  What I was trying to say was that it is somewhat unethical to play on fear and emotion to win people to our side like the antis do, but it might be the best way to win people over to our side.  However, most of these people are getting nervous on their own. Sorry for the confusion.

[edited a few times to clarify myself further]

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 3:48:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Hell, our small town cop tells me that all the time... "If the SHTF, I'm coming to your house!"

While I can't say that I've been approached out of concern this past week, I can say that sales are up again.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 4:09:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 4:24:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 4:24:54 PM EDT
[#20]
My next door neighbor is a LEO, and he and his kids are more than welcome here.  He's ex-military as well, but doesn't really have much in the way of SHTF supplies.  My in-laws live less than 10 miles away, and they know that if the SHTF they are welcome.  My father-in-law is an Marine and a damn good shot, not to mention a quick thinker in the event a crisis.  My mom, stepdad and little brother, all of which are good with guns and have some of their own are welcome.  The only other people are my grandmother and my uncle.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 4:34:09 PM EDT
[#21]
raf is my hero for the day too. :)

The antis must pay the price for their stupidity.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 4:50:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Marksman,
I do like that shotgun, and to think you were a little scared shooting it..........  
"This is my Boomstick!!" [shotgun]
When you get your AR, let me know, I got some 30's you can get.  Just a couple. [;)]  
Check out Aimsurplus for SA .223.  They are in Ohio, so a little cheap on shipping.  

Beekeeper, I am heading to Anti's place, or your place in the woods!  Anti's got the toys, and you got the 50's!   If something happened, I would only stay here for 1-2 weeks in Chicago, and let things cool off.   Traffic is a pain around here.  
I have some friends I would trust, and would look out for, its just getting them to get FOID's and guns, and pratice........ Also buy ammo!!  
Single hot women are always welcomed in the house of c-rock.    
If nukes happened, we are going to need to re-populate, right??  I can do my civic duty!! [sex]  
c-rock

Its funny when you own guns, and your non-friends look at you funny. They joke about you going postal, or "where is the cammies?", or "hey Rambo!"

One dude emailed me a thing about things to do last week. I emailed him I cleaned, oiled, and loaded up mags for the AK, and AR, cause thats really being american!  
Did not hear back from him..........

Now motherfuckers want you to protect them, even teach them!  I am a decent shot, and can start them on their way, but I am no expert.  Always willing to learn more.  

I have been keeping mags loaded up more than before.  Also did a ammo count, and organized better.  I even stopped at the Gun store today to hang out, and picked up some 12 GA buck, and #71/2 shot.  Also 9 mm FMJ.  

I did go shotgun shooting and pistol shooting on Sunday, and plan on going to the formal rifle range on Saturday.  

Am I really a gun nut, or just a red-blooded American?
c-rock
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 7:06:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
YEP! Not so crazy now are we? I had one girl at work offer to buy any gun I would sell. I told her they are not for sale. But I would give her one if it came to that. I got a pretty smile from her today.[:D] That was worth the payment but I won't tell her that.
View Quote

Man, personally, I would get more than a smile from her. Awwww I'm just kidding, just a little humour to break some serious discussions on this board.

During the '92 L.A. riots a some folks came to me for advice on firearms also, I had to explain them there was a 10 day wait on ALL handguns at that time, and I suggested that they get a paint ball gun in the interim.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 7:09:49 PM EDT
[#24]
C-rock, Afraid of the GUN, not at all.  I've shot 3 inch slugs through my friends 870, 454 casull, .50AE, and .50BMG...and I LOVED them all.  Hell, did you see the remains of that gas grill out in the back left corner of the pit?  That was 2 weeks earlier when my friend Bob (who was there) and I made a mess of it with his 870.  After seeing the top of it fly off after he let me put a few slugs in it, really made my day.  Hell, my dad and I are buying an 870 or a mossberg this weekend [shotgun] [beer]

Afraid of missing a bunch of times and making an ass out of myself, yeah, I'll admit, I was.  Being 16, and only shooting a shotgun twice before hand, and at still targets... I really didnt want to go nuts on soda cans, cause I knew I wouldnt hit em'...even though that is painful to admit....errrr, so I figured I'd stick with what I was good at, making a mess of things wiht rifles and handguns :-)

Next time, after I have a little experience shooting at moving targets like that, you better believe Ill be askin you to throw some soda cans into the pit for me :-)

Link Posted: 9/19/2001 7:51:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Awesome!  We must convert as many as possible while they're still open to listening.  I know it's not exactly ethical to take advantage of what happened last week, but it's not less honorable than what the antis do.

God Bless Texas
View Quote

Ethical & anti-gunner uttered in the same thought.  Two divergent thoughts.  Wash your mouth out with soap.  The gunners got screwed by MANY unethical antis in the past, and for me personally, it would be a little payback time.

On a brighter note, if your "friends" do decide to show up at your place unexpectedly, make sure they bring plenty of beer.  Oops! Sorry, guns & alcohol don't mix.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 8:04:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Goober across the street who I have tried to set up with good firearms AT COST on three different occassions in the last year had the nerve to say "Have a gun waiting for me if the shootin' starts."

He is also a minister and I desperately wanted to say "What YOU didn't build an ARK for yourself?" He also prevented his teenage son who I have taken shooting a couple times from buying an AK.

Came over and looked at one and said "I'm just not at peace with this rifle." I swear just because you stock up on food people think it's a FREE LUNCH.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 8:36:51 PM EDT
[#27]
I do what I can to take care of my family, and the friends I know would be there for me. As far as the rest, the have the personal responsibility to provide for themselves for the SHTF.  If they come to my place, they will only find it empty.  I have family to take care of.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 9:00:00 PM EDT
[#28]
LOL, I am getting all my guns in 2's, 2 of this, two of that.....took my nephew out  today, he is 40...he never shot before...loves the 1911 and the AR15
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 9:13:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha a Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!

I've always heard the opposite--if the SHTF I'm headed as far away from you as possible!!  I figure it must have something to do with taking over my own little fifedom!!

I figure I could spare a couple of guns (following all IL laws, OF COURSE!!) if the SHTF for relatives and close female friends (read: soon to be nubile members of my harem).  The guys, well, they might just have to fend for themselves!!  I do get asked on occasion about guns (not in potential problem situations) and do what I can to give advice.  

I also feel NO sympathy for people who can afford a gun but don't try to buy one until it's  too late.  I would have some sympathy for the single Mom (or Dad) or struggling student, etc. who just couldn't afford it but wanted one all along.  Kind of like insurance--the time to buy it is BEFORE your house burns down.

AFARR
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 9:43:49 PM EDT
[#30]
All my friends have just as many guns as I do.  Although they aren't as fervent about the RKBA as I am, I think we could put up a pretty good fight.  My town is full of hunters and outdoorsman, taking it would be like taking Stalingrad.

If my spelling is bad it is because I couldn't get the spell check to work.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 10:32:48 PM EDT
[#31]
"taking it would be like taking Stalingrad."

LOL!       Same here,  Good old fashioned country folk.  But we also have our share of damn liberals here in MO.  Strange combination, but Americans, one and all

Link Posted: 9/19/2001 10:37:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 10:39:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 11:07:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sounds to me you lady friend is a novice shooter.  Why don't you take her to the range and train your friend how to fire a gun.  WHEN or IF she really needs, she will be ready.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 11:09:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The other is Jewish, and still will not buy or touch a gun!!  So, why come to me for protection?  
View Quote

Tell him:

"You are a anti-gun yutz. Gayn cacken ofn yam!"    
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 11:19:57 PM EDT
[#36]
I know a Mormon guy and his wife that has an anti-gun weenie renting a room in their house. He said as soon at TSHTF, mr. eww-guns is getting the boot. Since the room is big enough for 2 people, I am accepting applications from any womenz that would like to spend some quality time with me, a 10/22 and a .38.
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 5:44:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha a Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!

I've always heard the opposite--if the SHTF I'm headed as far away from you as possible!!  I figure it must have something to do with taking over my own little fifedom!!

I figure I could spare a couple of guns (following all IL laws, OF COURSE!!) if the SHTF for relatives and close female friends (read: soon to be nubile members of my harem).  The guys, well, they might just have to fend for themselves!!  I do get asked on occasion about guns (not in potential problem situations) and do what I can to give advice.  

I also feel NO sympathy for people who can afford a gun but don't try to buy one until it's  too late.  I would have some sympathy for the single Mom (or Dad) or struggling student, etc. who just couldn't afford it but wanted one all along.  Kind of like insurance--the time to buy it is BEFORE your house burns down.

AFARR
View Quote

So, after the SHTF, 24 hr wait on rifles, and 72 hr wait on pistols?  Oh, no FOID, sorry, going to need one of those........
So, being a feudal lord sounds like a good thing?
c-rock
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 5:46:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
[b]ALWAYS make it clear that unprepared guests will NOT be welcome.[/b]  It may seem rude, but it is important that this is made VERY clear to anyone who believes that if SHTF that they will cruise on your provisions and security.

Believe me, if the S ever really HTF, you will have lots of people coming to you for a handout or worse.  You won't be able to support them, and it will be much more difficult to get them to go away.  Let them know now.

At the same time, you can offer to help them prepare.  Many will refuse, and that should tell you exactly why these people do not deserve any assistance from you in an emergency.  As for the others; great!  Perhaps you'll open the eyes of some people, and get them to see the light.

-Troy
View Quote

It is sad when people are un-willing to be prepared.  I keep about 10 gallons of water around, per person. I keep about 2 weeks of dried/canned food around.    
Of cource, lots of guns and ammo!
c-rock
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 5:47:29 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Tell him:

"You are a anti-gun yutz. Gayn cacken ofn yam!"    
View Quote

He says his martial arts will protect him.  Ya right.  
c-rock
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 6:53:08 AM EDT
[#40]
My brother-in-law got serious about Y2K, believing that, if it happened, it was going to be some Biblical event that would bring on Armageddon or something (and they call us nutty...) Anyway, he got a [b]LOT[/b] of food delivered to his house in crates and 5 gallon buckets, but had no guns except one Glock.

So instead of saying, "I'm coming to your house," he asked if I could come to his house!

[b]Freedom isn't free[/b]
Semper Fidelis
Jarhead out.
[img]http://www.inetnow.net/~kudzukid/enlemblem.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 7:14:43 AM EDT
[#41]
my friends have been telling me that for years.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top