Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2002 9:04:26 AM EDT
[url]http://www.dallasnews.com/latestnews/STORY.eb2d3ef7c1.93.88.83.fb.1e9041.html[/url]
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 9:09:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Boy, that makes me feel safe, having just walked into my office building with the "No firearms or weapons of any kind" sign and the crack security force behind the lobby desk.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 9:11:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 9:13:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Jarhead, if that is not an [b]Official[/b] DPS approved sign, then it carries [b]NO[/b] weight and may be ignored.

Mike

PS - unless your in a Federal or City building.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 9:14:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I worked in that building about a year-and-a-half ago. I did some work for a shady MLM company that was wanting to go e-commerce. We had a break-in one night where the BG's broke through one of the office windows and made off with all the computer equipment.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 9:22:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 9:36:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You are ON YOUR OWN.  
View Quote

Exactly. So prepare accordingly and keep a low profile about it. My company has no official policy in such matters so it's "don't ask, don't tell" in my way of thinking.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 9:41:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Jarhead, if that is not an [b]Official[/b] DPS approved sign, then it carries [b]NO[/b] weight and may be ignored.

Mike

PS - unless your in a Federal or City building.
View Quote

Mike, I understand about the invalidity of any non-30.06 sign, but the sad fact is that it doesn't count if it's your employer. By Texas law, as long as you know they forbid weapons on the job site, they can fire you if they find out you have them.

Of course, some folks would rather be looking for a job than dead, but it's a judgement call, huh? [;)]
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 9:56:58 AM EDT
[#8]
I work about a half mile from there. I drove by there at lunch today. I wondered what was up when I saw the cop cars (the addison police drive Dodge Dakota's and Chevy suburban's) and the news crews. Went out and checked the Dallas morning news website and read the story.

My wife used to work in that building. Now she is a teacher in Allen. Not safe in either environment. Even though she has her CHL she still can't be trusted to protect herself and her kids. Even though she would give her life for each and everyone of them if she had to.

It is kind of nice to have an employer that looks the other way when it comes to carrying.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 11:10:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Jarhead,

[b]You are absolutely correct[/b], we went through that here when one of our CHL guys made an issue out of it. Luckily I was a CHL instructor at the time and had trained quite a few here, including the Personel Manager.

After much discussion w/ the yahoo to shut-up with his threats to sue if he ever got hurt, and lots of discussion w/ the big boss we decided on a policy that means dismissal if your caught w/ one. However the PM now sends new hires to me once she finds out whether they have a CHL for a non-policy Don't Ask, Don't Tell type speech, as PM carried in her purse as well as several other ladies in house.

So we have a stated policy, and one which hopefully remains unstated. Big boss is nice guy considering we were NO.2 in engineering pipelines last year.

Mike

PS - No sign of any kind on any door.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 1:13:28 PM EDT
[#10]
The bldg. I work at has what seems like a legitimate sign...except it is on a window with see through glass.  Folks say that makes it an invalid sign because the back cannot be see through according to the law?  

Link Posted: 1/3/2002 1:59:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Matrix,

The statute is as follows:

Sec.30.06. Trespass by holder of license to carry concealed handgun.
(a)A license holder commits an offense if the license holder:
(1)carries a handgun under the authority of Art.4413(29ee), Revised Statutes, on property of another without effective consent; and
(2)received notice that:
(A)entry on the property by a license holder with a concealed handgun was forbidden; or
(B)remaining on the property with a concealed handgun was forbidden and failed to depart.
(b)For purposes of this section, a person receives notice if the owner of the property or someone with apparent authority to act for the owner provides notice to the person by oral or written communication.
(c)In this section:
(1)"Entry" as assigned by Sec.30.05(b)
(2)"License holder' as assigned by Sec.46.035(f).
[b](3)"Written communication" means: [/b]
(A)a card or other document on which is written language identical to the following: "Pursuant to Section 30.06, Penal Code (trespass by holder of license to carry a concealed handgun), a person licensed under Art.4413(29ee), Revised Statutes (concealed handgun law), may not enter this property with a concealed handgun"; [b]or[/b] (B)a sign posted on the property that:
(i)includes the language described by Paragraph (A)in both English and Spanish;
[b](ii)appears in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch in height[/b]; and
(iii)is displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public.
(d)An offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.

CMOS

Link Posted: 1/3/2002 3:05:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Matrix,

The statute is as follows:

Sec.30.06. Trespass by holder of license to carry concealed handgun.
(a)A license holder commits an offense if the license holder:
(1)carries a handgun under the authority of Art.4413(29ee), Revised Statutes, on property of another without effective consent; and
(2)received notice that:
(A)entry on the property by a license holder with a concealed handgun was forbidden; or
(B)remaining on the property with a concealed handgun was forbidden and failed to depart.
(b)For purposes of this section, a person receives notice if the owner of the property or someone with apparent authority to act for the owner provides notice to the person by oral or written communication.
(c)In this section:
(1)"Entry" as assigned by Sec.30.05(b)
(2)"License holder' as assigned by Sec.46.035(f).
[b](3)"Written communication" means: [/b]
(A)a card or other document on which is written language identical to the following: "Pursuant to Section 30.06, Penal Code (trespass by holder of license to carry a concealed handgun), a person licensed under Art.4413(29ee), Revised Statutes (concealed handgun law), may not enter this property with a concealed handgun"; [b]or[/b] (B)a sign posted on the property that:
(i)includes the language described by Paragraph (A)in both English and Spanish;
[b](ii)appears in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch in height[/b]; and
(iii)is displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public.
(d)An offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.

CMOS

View Quote

What a load of horse hockey- it must have been made up by people who came from Massachusetts originally.

MA's laws are bad (and esp. poorly written) re guns, but at least with a MA ALP LTC-A, there are almost no state restrictions on where one may legally carry concealed, other than proprietary objections or wildlife area management rules.
''There ain't no answer. There ain't going to be any answer.
There never has been an answer. That's the answer."
                      - --Gertrude Stein.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top