Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/30/2015 8:19:55 PM EDT
My brother listed several 5.11 shirts (5 or so) on eBay. They were new in packages still sealed. He got a letter saying he is violating MAP pricing from 5.11 and they would take legal action if he didn't correct it?????? For a handful of shirts? MAP is distributor stuff and not for someone trying to move 5 shirts he doesn't want . Seemed like bullies sending that to a guy serving in the USAF currently and selling 5 shirts for cheap. They weren't issued but personal owned.

I never had a problem with 5.11 but it seemed a little bit like they are intimidating the market using a form letter to scare people.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:22:20 PM EDT
[#1]
They probably figured he is one of their dealers since he is selling multiple same items?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:26:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They probably figured he is one of their dealers since he is selling multiple same items?
View Quote

That's my take on it as well, I don't believe they know he's a private seller who is selling his personal property which they have no control over.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:28:48 PM EDT
[#3]
If he bought them through promotive they might jack his account there too.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:31:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That's my take on it as well, I don't believe they know he's a private seller who is selling his personal property which they have no control over.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the thing. They are all different shirts. Just 5.....all it takes is for them to check and see he has 5 of them.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:31:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Add another company that can go fuck themselves
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:32:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

They were gifts....and I'm not sure what you mean.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:35:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Post up the eBay link, so we can buy some cheap shirts!
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:35:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Tell him to reply with, " buy them from me or go fuck yourself".  

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:39:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I got an email from THX, supposedly, when I listed a THX demo disc for sale on fleabay years ago.

It said the disc was not to be sold and was only given out to dealers etc etc., they insisted I take the auction down.  I didn't and it sold without issue.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:40:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Promotive is where certain groups (mil, leo, gov, etc) can buy stuff sometimes at wholesale prices. You can't buy for other people or sale. You're also limited to how many purchases you can make from a vendor in the year.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:41:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:43:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Promotive is where certain groups (mil, leo, gov, etc) can buy stuff sometimes at wholesale prices. You can't buy for other people or sale. You're also limited to how many purchases you can make from a vendor in the year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They weren't from anything like that and 5.11 wouldn't know if they had been. They were given to him by me and he ended up not using or wanting them.

That's why he told me today...asking why they would do that. I haven't a clue.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:50:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

That was my first thought on the matter.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:52:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

I'm sure they could Vero rape his account just because though...

I wonder if changing them from "new" to "new-Other" would help?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:53:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

They weren't from anything like that and 5.11 wouldn't know if they had been. They were given to him by me and he ended up not using or wanting them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where'd you buy them, are they in some kind of identifying packaging or a special promotion item?  I'd venture to say fuck'em too, they have too much time if they're hassling a guy selling five shirts.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:54:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Where'd you buy them, are they in some kind of identifying packaging or a special promotion item?  I'd venture to say fuck'em too, they have too much time if they're hassling a guy selling five shirts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just in clear plastic bags....standard retail packaging from a brick and mortar store with normal tags. Nothing infringing. I asked if he used their pics or copy pasted anything and he said no.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:56:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Tell them to fuck off and if you recieve one more threatening letter you'll speak to your lawyer.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:59:27 PM EDT
[#18]
What size are they...how much does he want for them?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:04:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Re title the add to include new bought retail unwanted gifts selling. Or call 5.11 and demand they give him retail. Because of it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:05:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:08:39 PM EDT
[#21]
I'd just ignore it. If they sued him, at least he wouldn't be out any lawyer fees
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:12:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
My brother listed several 5.11 shirts (5 or so) on eBay. They were new in packages still sealed. He got a letter saying he is violating MAP pricing from 5.11 and they would take legal action if he didn't correct it?????? For a handful of shirts? MAP is distributor stuff and not for someone trying to move 5 shirts he doesn't want . Seemed like bullies sending that to a guy serving in the USAF currently and selling 5 shirts for cheap. They weren't issued but personal owned.

I never had a problem with 5.11 but it seemed a little bit like they are intimidating the market using a form letter to scare people.
View Quote

Quoted:

View Quote

So you purchased them yourself as a normal customer (not MAP or any special discounts etc)?

If so, only thing I can suggest is having him contact ebay to discuss it.  But in the end it's always going to be their-store-their-rules.  If they won't budge, might want to try another site.  Maybe even the EE perhaps?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:16:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They probably have some kind of search set up for people that list 5+ and pay someone to copy and paste the letter to everyone on ebay selling 5+ of anything with the search term "5.11".
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:16:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

lol  fuck 511  your brother can't sell stuff he legally owns?  fuck those dill pickles
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:16:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Repost them as if he was selling the bags they happen to be in. Be sure to include a hypothetical story about 5.11
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:19:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

They probably have some kind of search set up for people that list 5+ and pay someone to copy and paste the letter to everyone on ebay selling 5+ of anything with the search term "5.11".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a form letter so I suppose so.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:23:43 PM EDT
[#27]
I'd update my description to tout "less than manufacture's minimum advertised price!"

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:23:45 PM EDT
[#28]
We should group buy them for more than retail just because.

I say tell them to get bent.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:25:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:25:47 PM EDT
[#30]
How about...Fuck 5.11
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:29:08 PM EDT
[#31]
1)  The only consequence I think a company is capable of is refusing to sell further products to them.

2)  Inserting links into people's posts is the most retarded form of advertising on the planet next to autoplaying videos.  Goddamn...
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:32:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Only neckbeards and people who overuse the word "kit" and call projectiles "pills" buy 5.11
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:33:57 PM EDT
[#33]
MAP is an agreement between a retailer and a manufacturer. He is neither.

What action can they take? Disavow his retailer status?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:36:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I suspect a dealer reported him.

I would reply that I am not a dealer and I am not bound by a MAP agreement.  Tell them you are merely divesting of some old stock that was given you.
View Quote

Keep your logic and reasonable replies out of here. We need to be butthurt and boycott over a company attempting to control unauthorized resale of their product by their dealers. Clearly some geek behind a computer at 5.11 should have known it was a military member selling five new shirts gifted to him. Hopefully no one comes in here and explains how shady dealers selling below MAP hurts the honest dealers and negatively impacts their sales/income.

When do we boycott ARF for prohibiting the resale of our accounts???
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:36:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
MAP is an agreement between a retailer and a manufacturer. He is neither.

What action can they take? Disavow his retailer status?
View Quote

I know they can VERO him and put a violation on his account. They said they can remove it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:37:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Only neckbeards and people who overuse the word "kit" and call projectiles "pills" buy 5.11
View Quote

And people that don't recognize quality clothing. Fuck, for the price of tactical pants you could get a pair of fire hose pants from Duluth and they'll last a lot longer.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:41:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Keep your logic and reasonable replies out of here. We need to be butthurt and boycott over a company attempting to control unauthorized resale of their product by their dealers. Clearly some geek behind a computer at 5.11 should have known it was a military member selling five new shirts gifted to him. Hopefully no one comes in here and explains how shady dealers selling below MAP hurts the honest dealers and negatively impacts their sales/income.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would reply that I am not a dealer and I am not bound by a MAP agreement.  Tell them you are merely divesting of some old stock that was given you.

I'll get him to send me the letter they emailed. They didn't ask anything (are you a distributor?) Just sent the litigation threat. I'm fine with them not having their dealers screwed.....but it doesn't seem logical to send it to someone selling 5 shirts.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:44:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Tell them to FOAD, you're not a retailer.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:46:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I'll get him to send me the letter they emailed. They didn't ask anything (are you a distributor?) Just sent the litigation threat. I'm fine with them not having their dealers screwed.....but it doesn't seem logical to send it to someone selling 5 shirts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most of the time, it's shitty dealers violating their contracts. I'm sure if he messages them back and explains, they'll be fine and back off. If they still try to push it after that, then we can say fuck 5.11. You have to remember most people selling multiples of new items on eBay got them some other way than paying retail for them. Your brother definitely didn't do anything wrong, but he's definitely the minority on eBay when it comes to stuff like that. Fortunately eBay sides with buyers 9/10 times these days, even if the buyer is totally in the wrong, so your brother should be fine no matter what.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:56:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Most of the time, it's shitty dealers violating their contracts. I'm sure if he messages them back and explains, they'll be fine and back off. If they still try to push it after that, then we can say fuck 5.11. You have to remember most people selling multiples of new items on eBay got them some other way than paying retail for them. Your brother definitely didn't do anything wrong, but he's definitely the minority on eBay when it comes to stuff like that. Fortunately eBay sides with buyers 9/10 times these days, even if the buyer is totally in the wrong, so your brother should be fine no matter what.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll update with their response if he gets one. He emailed them
Saying he isn't a distributor.
ETA - He sent me a copy of the message from 5.11. Turns out they didn't accuse him of being a distributor selling at MAP prices but the opposite. They said he was an "unauthorized reseller" and only their approved resellers can sell 5.11 items and he is not allowed to sell any of their items on third party sites such as eBay. I'm trying to figure out how to upload a pic of the screenshot.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:03:43 PM EDT
[#41]
"Thank you for your time in responding to my ad for sale of 5.11 branded shirts. However I am an individual selling privately owned goods and as a matter of consequence not subject to your MAP pricing. If you would like to purchase them feel free."
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:04:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Just ignore them.

Let them waste their time going through the motions of trying to apply leverage to someone they have no leverage against.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:06:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
ETA - He sent me a copy of the message from 5.11. Turns out they didn't accuse him of being a distributor selling at MAP prices but the opposite. They said he was an "unauthorized reseller" and only their approved resellers can sell 5.11 items and he is not allowed to sell any of their items on third party sites such as eBay. I'm trying to figure out how to upload a pic of the screenshot.
View Quote

next response:

"fuck off"
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:06:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Add another company that can go fuck themselves
View Quote

Oakley does the same shit.  I used to work in a bike and ski shop.  We sold a shit load of Oakleys because the boss didn't mark them up much over his cost.  Oakley rep stopped in and took the boss to lunch.  Told the boss; "We don't discount our product, get your prices back up or we'll pull your dealership."

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:11:03 PM EDT
[#45]
I cant  stand 5.11 shit anyway.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:15:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

next response:

"fuck off"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

next response:

"fuck off"

Indeed. But definitely send exactly that response.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:21:35 PM EDT
[#47]

If the e-mail address they used was something like [email protected], it may be a little less than legit.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:29:12 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dear 5.11 Tactical:

Go fuck yourself. I am sharing your gestapo thuggery with everyone I know in the military community, law enforcement community, and shooting sports.  Thank you for showing how you treat loyal customers who have non-returnable items.

No body likes assholes.

Kncook's Brother

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:41:59 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:45:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I got an email from THX, supposedly, when I listed a THX demo disc for sale on fleabay years ago.

It said the disc was not to be sold and was only given out to dealers etc etc., they insisted I take the auction down.  I didn't and it sold without issue.
View Quote

Yeah, this. Isn't the longest auction something like 7 days? Hardly enough time to enforce anything.

Now, if OP's brother had a warehouse full of shirts and kept listing them over a period of time it's be different.

But just for 5 shirts? Auction 'em off, take the money and move on.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top