Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/17/2006 8:54:54 PM EDT
What took them so long?

Thousands protest in NYC against Danish cartoons

February 18, 2006
An estimated 1,500 to 2,000 Muslims protested peacefully across from the Danish Consulate in Manhattan Friday in the largest U.S. rally to date against a Danish newspaper's decision to publish caricatures of the Prophet Muhammad.

"We have to restrain our anger," urged Imam Siraj Wahhaj, who led Friday prayers before hundreds of people who were prostrate on tarps, plastic bags and rugs laid atop wet asphalt. "We have to make our response productive, so that they never do this again."

While the cartoons have provoked worldwide furor, including the burning of Danish embassies in several countries in the Middle East, only a handful of protests have occurred in this country. An earlier protest at the same plaza two weeks ago drew several hundred people.

Friday's event represented an unusual show of unity by a community that has often been stratified along ethnic, national and even religious lines. African-American, South Asian and Arab speakers all sounded the same themes of pain and anger about the caricatures, initially published by the newspaper, Jyllands-Posten. Nearly all also decried the violent reaction in such places as Syria, Lebanon and Pakistan as "un-Islamic" and challenged followers to use the furor to educate non-Muslims about their faith.

"This calamity -- look what has come out of it," Wahhaj said. "When is the last time you remember having a collective jumma prayer like this?"

Wahhaj likened the response to the rioting in American cities that followed the assassination of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. While King's death was not the cause of the riots, he said, it served as a catalyst because the loss was seen as a symbol of the deprivations suffered by African-Americans. Likewise, he said, the extreme Muslim reaction to the cartoons relates to the political and economic oppression of Muslims in parts of the world.

Others sounded the notion that free speech must be coupled with certain responsibilities.

"We support free speech, not reckless speech," said Maher El Jamal of the Muslim American Society. "We support driving through the streets of New York, but we do not support drunken driving."

Four of the rally's organizers met with the Danish ambassador to relate their concerns about what they describe as the demonization of Muslims in that country, as the protest was still underway.

By and large, the demeanor of the crowd was low-key. "Show tolerance, not hate," read at least a dozen placards. But there were also more pointed signs. One man, who waved a poster that warned, "Insult the Prophet, you will pay, Allah's wrath is on the way," was surrounded by security guards and encouraged to leave the plaza.

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:58:22 PM EDT
They know better.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:58:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/17/2006 9:02:01 PM EDT by The_Beer_Slayer]
trying to lose your account tonight?... tbs
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:59:23 PM EDT
They are peaceful where they are a minority.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:00:53 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:02:21 PM EDT
"Show tolerance, not hate,"

Why don't you start by tolerating the farking cartoons, arksole.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:03:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By triburst1:
They are peaceful where they are a minority.

Looking at the slide show , some of them don't look that peaceful to me
And in a different forum they too would act like animals
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:03:55 PM EDT
Look at the photos at the newspaper website.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:06:28 PM EDT
Meanwhile, thousands of feet above . . .

NYPD: "It looks like we're not going to have any trouble down here."

A-10 Pilot: "You know where to find us."

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:16:54 PM EDT
Imagine what would happen if they made an artpiece of Muhammed made out of elephant poop? Or put a statue of him in a bottle of urine? Would they declare it art like the Liberals did with others?

The terrorists are winning in a way. Just watch. The Libbies and Democrats will openly defend the protests and agree that the cartoons are hateful and wrong while they champion folks who do 10x worse to other faiths. I have a bad feeling the world will be bending to their insane demands and ways before we know it, people will use the cover of "tolerance" to hide their fear of reprisal from the extremists.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:22:33 PM EDT
Thats when I would love to fly over NYC and drop cartoon leaflets
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:25:47 PM EDT
"We support driving through the streets of New York, but we do not support drunken driving."

"I support playing with myself, but not recklessly"
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:35:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By WildBoar:
Imagine what would happen if they made an artpiece of Muhammed made out of elephant poop? Or put a statue of him in a bottle of urine? Would they declare it art like the Liberals did with others?

The terrorists are winning in a way. Just watch. The Libbies and Democrats will openly defend the protests and agree that the cartoons are hateful and wrong while they champion folks who do 10x worse to other faiths. I have a bad feeling the world will be bending to their insane demands and ways before we know it, people will use the cover of "tolerance" to hide their fear of reprisal from the extremists.

i'm thinking you are correct.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:47:23 PM EDT
From the slide show, look at some of them ,these are the ones living in our country.
This make me so fucking mad , that we let this happen. We are at war with them.
These are the same people that celebrate americans getting killed . I hope I am not the reason
for getting this thread locked, but I strongly hate these people.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:57:14 PM EDT
Was anyone able to get a cab?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:06:07 PM EDT
we all bleet as the wolf drags away another of our flock. secretly, quietly happy it was not us.

for if two sheep would stand against the wolf, the wolf would be surprised.

if only three would stand, the wolf would be concerned.

if only four would stand, the wolf would reconsider.

if only five would stand, the wolf would retreat.

alas, we have not one.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:07:30 PM EDT

I bet there were a few new Yorkers who wish they could have been carrying heat.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:11:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TheTracker:
From the slide show, look at some of them ,these are the ones living in our country.
These are the same people that celebrate americans getting killed . I hope I am not the reason
i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/jimmyk3216/22018390.jpg

Get me some CS.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:22:34 PM EDT

Good photo op for the FBI.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:24:00 PM EDT
That's strange...

I don't remember seeing any mass protests in this country by Muslims denouncing the atrocities committed around the world by fanatics in the name of Islam...
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:29:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Noname:
That's strange...

I don't remember seeing any mass protests in this country by Muslims denouncing the atrocities committed around the world by fanatics in the name of Islam...

I don't remember them burning down any embassies after the beheadings either
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:30:08 PM EDT
How can I make the muslims happy?

I feel like there is something I can do to make them like us western people, but don't know what to do.

I feel sad that they are unhappy.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:32:49 PM EDT
F$cking C*nts, the whole lot of 'em. Where were the "peaceful mooslims" protesting that what their brothers had done was wrong, and hateful on 9/11? Get f&cked already. Seriously.

--VT
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:32:57 PM EDT
Counterpoint.

Qatar

Qatar again

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:41:17 PM EDT
Today in Iran, muslims burned a Christian cross in front of the ruins of the Danish embassy. Nice

I guess people died in protests in shitholes like Pakistan and Libya as well.

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:44:20 PM EDT

Originally Posted By CavVet:
Counterpoint.

Qatar
www.adl.org/Anti_semitism/arab/cartoons/7_27_02_al_watan.jpg

Qatar again
www.adl.org/Anti_semitism/arab/cartoon_070802.gif

Exactly my point. They can dish it out, but they can't take it. GET F$CKED.....and then some

--VT
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:44:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By g3shooter:

Get me some CS. White phosphorous

Fixed.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:57:37 PM EDT
The CoC prevents me from speaking my mind.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:59:09 PM EDT

Originally Posted By smokycity:

"This calamity -- look what has come out of it," Wahhaj said. "When is the last time you remember having a collective jumma prayer like this?"

"jumma prayer"...

lol what a strange religion!

when I get hungry I just go to the fridge..."yummy" treats galore there!

and a "collective" jumma prayer, imagine that!

what are they, Commies or something?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:00:47 PM EDT
What I can't understand is why there wern't a few hundred thousand NYC folk wearing 9-11 tee shirts out Haji conkin' with Louisville sluggers.

Nate: "Not fer nuttin' uh, but wudja Looga dat, Carmine! It's a fuggin softball wid a beard"!
Carmine: "Fuggin A! Home run."
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:01:03 PM EDT
So when the fuck is the cartoon shit going to end...

Are they going to stay pissed for the next century?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:02:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By pv74:

Are they going to stay pissed for the next century?

I fuckin' hope so! Knowing ANYTHING upsets them, makes my day, DAILY!
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:03:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/17/2006 11:04:49 PM EDT by wetidlerjr]

Originally Posted By The_Beer_Slayer:
how do these people have time to protest this garbage?

if i took a day off from work for that i'd be unemployed the next day.

Take a "Personal Day" .
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:21:03 AM EDT
I'll believe that Islam is a religion that preaches and believes in 'respect for the faith of others', when I see a Christian church or a Jewish synagogue in Saudi Arabia....but not until then.

Eric The(Ecumenical)Hun
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 3:51:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/18/2006 3:53:34 AM EDT by raven]

Originally Posted By CavVet:
Counterpoint.

Qatar
www.adl.org/Anti_semitism/arab/cartoons/7_27_02_al_watan.jpg

Qatar again
www.adl.org/Anti_semitism/arab/cartoon_070802.gif

Reprint cartoons depicting Mohammed? Demonize the Jews, threaten murder and torch McDonalds in response. Makes perfect sense
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:37:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/18/2006 5:37:56 AM EDT by The_Beer_Slayer]

edited.......That image is sickening
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:44:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/18/2006 4:45:01 AM EDT by Wave]
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:46:52 AM EDT

Originally Posted By EricTheHun:
I'll believe that Islam is a religion that preaches and believes in 'respect for the faith of others', when I see a Christian church or a Jewish synagogue in Saudi Arabia....but not until then.

Eric The(Ecumenical)Hun

Very good ETH. Actions speak louder than words.
The tribe of Ishmael sure can talk a good game.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:49:22 AM EDT
Drove by those clowns yesterday on 2nd Ave, gave them the bird while they were yelling and screaming bullshiet.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:02:23 AM EDT

Originally Posted By The_Beer_Slayer:
how do these people have time to protest this garbage?

if i took a day off from work for that i'd be unemployed the next day.

Welfare, baby!
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:06:49 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TNARShooter:
Was anyone able to get a cab?

Now, THAT is a good one!!
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:15:36 AM EDT

Fucking savages.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:17:53 AM EDT
Looks like a good place for a cottontail to forget the difference between the gas and the brake....

And park and reverse...

Repeatedly...
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:23:14 AM EDT
Tit for tat:

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:27:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/18/2006 5:47:21 AM EDT by Jarhead_22]
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:28:05 AM EDT
Due in large part to not wanting to be banned, I am unable to say what I truly feel in regards to these vermin plaguing our societies and ways of life.....
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:38:07 AM EDT
I wonder if they got a permit for their protest.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:47:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/18/2006 5:52:00 AM EDT by Ekie]
We desperately need a Czar of Propaganda. The enemy can be controlled and manipulated into doing bizarre and self destructive behavior on a daily basis all over the world. Sort of an international Psy Ops operation, code named say OPERATION TOTAL TURBIN MELTDOWN.

Some freak of a twisted individual could be the Czar. Put Neidermeyer on it.

Hmm, or maybe run it as an overt rather then covert operation, and have a Jew run it. The Czar could taunt, and fart in thier general direction in daily press releases.

ETA:

Getting more ideas, could utilize that sarge doll still action drama guy.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:48:47 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:51:45 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:54:22 AM EDT

]

You have GOT to be freaking kidding me.

Islam will not dominate my freaken ass.

Fear...chickenshit fear. Stroke the ego of the jackals and maybe we'll appease them?
Screw that.
Want tolerance? Practice what you preach and you might get it.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top