Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2001 1:44:00 PM EDT
I got this in an e-mail--it was written by a friend of a relative of mine:

"The other night I was walking at a local park, Eagle Rock Reservation, which
overlooks NY harbor and the site of the WTC. Other visitors have set up a
spontaneous shrine on that site. The candles are lighted every night, people bring
flowers, and banners to sign. Although there are many people,  the atmosphere is
very reverent, similar to the common attitude at the Vietnam Wall in Washington. A
very teary young lady was there and appropriately mourning a lost boyfriend. A little
black girl, about four years old, came up to her and gave her a little teddy bear,
because she was so sad. Immediately the young lady pulled herself together and
graciously thanked the very generous little girl. The little girl's mother insisted that she
keep the little bear. The bereaved young lady asked the little girl's parents what their
children knew of the tragedy. The young lady, the children, and the parents then
talked to a point where the young lady was able to put aside her pain at least for a
few moments. Such acts of generosity and kindness are being multiplied a millionfold.
People are praying together, singing together, joining hands with each other, and
impacting each other with random acts of kindness. God is present here. All we had
to do was dig down through the veneer of smugness we had developed because we
haven't been challenged in a long time. Our parish church was crowded like it is on
Palm Sunday and Easter for each of the last two weeks. Other churches and temples
of every denomination have a similar experience. We are appalled, outraged,
awestruck, and inspired all at the same time. For most of us, there is nothing we can
do but pray. The tragedy, which was one of the most terrible things that could happen
to us, brought out the best in us. We are really a great people when we get the issues
of our lives into perspective. Those towers are still there. When I look at the empty
space where they once stood, I can still see them proudly holding up the vault of the
sky. Instead of mortar and steel, the towers now have a soul gleaned from the souls
of almost seven thousand people who lost their lives there. The soul is also gleaned
from our prayers, our generosity, the incredible generosity of those who are involved
in rescue and recovery operations, our renewed patriotism and spirituality, our
mourning, and the millions of random acts of kindness that are being repeated each
day. "

Link Posted: 9/27/2001 2:10:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Tragedy isn't quite the right word.  It was a vicious, malicious, cold blooded attack on you and me and everything America stands for and has accomplished.

Those guys are agents of the forces who have basically misruled the world for most of its history.  The US was the first rational attempt to step back from that world and say "Hey, let's start a country based on reason and intelligence rather than brute force and exploitation".  

It wasn't just a tragedy, or disaster, or unfortunate event.  IT WAS AN ASSAULT.  And such a horrible assault demands a retribution so horrible no one in their right minds could ever countenance the idea of raising a hand against America.

Otherwise, the attacks will continue in number and degree of horror.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 2:35:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Everytime I read something like this it always makes me sad.  My children asked the other day how many people is 7,000, which is approximately the number of people that died.  I compared it to our local high school which has 3,500 students plus 300 or so staff.  The number of people that died in this dispicable man-made disaster was nearly doubled the number from our high school was my explanation.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 2:57:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Everytime I read something like this it always makes me sad.  My children asked the other day how many people is 7,000, which is approximately the number of people that died.  I compared it to our local high school which has 3,500 students plus 300 or so staff.  The number of people that died in this dispicable man-made disaster was nearly doubled the number from our high school was my explanation.
View Quote

I was thinking today that a single file line of 7,000 people would stretch more than 2 miles. Think of that as you're driving along.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 6:13:14 PM EDT
[#4]
My thoughts have been full of worry.I worry about the future for my four young nephews.
On Sept.17th my brother and sister in law found out that they are expecting twins. I'm very excited about this but I have been worried too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top