Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2001 6:57:19 AM EDT
I have found these in gun shops and have considered getting one, but I dont know much about the old bolt action combat rifles.  How about some feedback from those of you who know about them, compaired to other bolt actions of their time?

[url]http://www.gibbsrifle.com/history.html[/url]
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 8:05:02 AM EDT
[#1]
It is said of WWI rifles:
The American brought a target rifle(Springfield)
The German brought a hunting rifle(Mauser)
The Brit brought(sorry)a battle rifle(Enfield)
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 9:21:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I think the Gibbs Enfield Quest Carbine is ugly, just my opinion.
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 9:36:53 AM EDT
[#3]
The No. 5 Jungle Carbine (rare, but still available) is based on a lightened No. 4 receiver, with a short barrel equipped with a flash hider, and a cut down stock.  It is equipped with a rubber buttpad because the reduced weight results in more kick.  Some have found it objectionable, but I don't think it's too bad.  The REAL No. 5 has a reputation for a "wandering zero" problem, where the point of impact moves around in relation to the point of aim.  This has been associated with the machine work done to lighten the No. 4 reciever.  Gibbs makes REPLICA No. 5's based on unaltered No. 4 receivers, so this shouldn't be a problem.

The No. 4 Mk. I and Mk. II are WWII era rifles.  Lots are out there in various quality

The No. 1 MkIII is the original WWI era rifle that was made up to and through WWII.  It's a beefier action.  All of the above were chambered for the .303 British cartridge.

The Ishapur arsenal in India manufactured a No. 1 MkIII action with much improved metallurgy that could handle the higher-pressure 7.62 NATO cartridge.  This action has been used by Gibbs to make the No. 7 "Jungle Carbine" which was never actually issued.

The biggest difference between the No. 1 and No. 4 actions is the location of the rear sight.  On the No. 1 it is ahead of the receiver, on the No. 4 it is on the back of the receiver.  IMHO the No. 1 looks "clunky".  Both use 10 round detachable magazines but were designed to be loaded with 5-round stripper clips.  The box was detachable to make replacement simple if it was damaged.

I've owned one real No. 5, and two No. 4's.  I've never owned a Gibbs.  My No. 5 did not evidence any "wandering zero" problem.  None of my Enfields are what I would consider accurate.  I've heard of some that were, but I haven't witnessed one myself.  Still, I love that damned old gun, and I'm STILL looking for one that shoots better than 4" at 100 yards.

Before I bought a Gibbs, I'd go looking for a good surplus No. 4, unless you really want a .308.  I've heard good things about the Gibbs .308 rifles.

If you're interested in the Ishapurs, try: [url]http://www.ishapur.com/directory.htm[/url]
For general info on Enfields, try: [url]http://pub42.ezboard.com/fparallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforumsfrm49[/url]
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 10:02:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 10:34:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a #1 Mk III built in '15. It has the origonal barrel, and has british proof marks from WWI and austrailian markings and paint from WWII. It consistantly shoots under 2" MOA with surplus stuff, and under an inch with reloads. I have owned several, and they have all been accurate, except one, which had a worn bore, and weak spring.
They are my favorite bolt action.
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 2:20:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a real No. 5 Jungle Carbine, it's a great shooter. I wouldn't mess with some cobbled up mess.
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 2:37:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Got a number 7......like it.....for the $ you can`t go wrong.....loves ALL types of ammo.....a couple MINOR blems, but again, for the money you can`t beat it.....get one you won`t be sorry.........[:)]
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 4:19:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Compared to other WWII bolt guns -

Pros:

Extremely smooth cycling bolt with short back and forth action due to rear lockup.  Multiple rounds can be fired very quickly.
Turned down, well located bolt handle.
By military standards, an easy to use safety.
Removable magazine – though typically loaded with stripper clips.
.303 British is a powerful, readily available cartridge.

Cons:

Standard (i.e. pretty bad) military trigger with no replacement available that I know of.
Rear lockup hurts accuracy a bit.  For best accuracy, ammo and chamber must be kept dry and free of oil.
Rimmed cartridges take a little extra care when loading magazine.
Not well suited to scope mounting – though it can be done.
MAY have oversize chamber which overworks your brass – important only if you’re a reloader.

If you’re looking to extensively modify the rifle, you’d be better off with a Mauser action.
If you’re looking to use it pretty much as is, the Lee-Enfield is a great value and a fun gun!!

I don’t know anything about the Gibbs conversions.

Williams makes a Lee-Enfield receiver sight for us older folks.  Gunsmithing required.
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 5:17:39 PM EDT
[#9]
My Limey friend bought two, and both had to go to the Smithy to build up the front sight.
Out of the box it shot 4ft. high @ 100yds..
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 7:26:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I have one of the Gibbs creations.  A Jungle
Carbine in .308.  Original .308 Ishy.

I kind of like it, and don't mind that I do not
have an actual virgin piece of history.

All in all I would say it is worth the $.  However, as
previous posters have pointed out, the sights
are 100% pure GARBAGE.  I have them set on the
lowest setting, fire a shot, and the recoil has reset the ladder to 500 meters or some such.
I have tried epoxy'ing it at the lowest setting,
with no long term luck.

Mag is 12 rounds, and I got two of them.

DanM
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top