Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/3/2004 10:53:50 PM EST
I posted this in the handgun discussion forum, but I figured I'd post here for more publicity so I can decide by payday to get one or not.

The first model, with fixed sights
Aside from the welcome-to-1998 webpage, what do ya'll think?
Anyone have one of these? Are they worth the $?
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 11:28:24 PM EST

I don't have any experience, but I DEFINITELY want one.

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 11:30:15 PM EST
Fo what it be worth, I have the conversion for my Beretta 92F and it's great.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:46:23 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/4/2004 12:47:50 AM EST by osprey21]
I think the Marvel conversion is a better product.

YMMV
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 1:44:13 AM EST
Mine is reliable but is not very accurate.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:06:37 AM EST
I had one for my Springfield Compact, and it sucked. Sucked so bad I had to send it, and the gun back to Ciener several times, and they would send it back, saying "we can't find anything wrong with it". I put ammo back in it (the brand they recommended), and damn, wouldn't you know it, it malf'ed the first mag through.

I had constant failures to fire. Tried several brands of ammo, no difference. They couldn't make it right, and wouldn't refund my money. I ended THROWING IT OUT IN THE TRASH. What a piece of shit.

Their AR rifle unit needed 4 trips back too. They finally got it to the point where it would only jam once in a 30-rd mag. This from 3-5 jams per mag.

Stay far, far away from their junk.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:26:24 AM EST
What about the Kimber .22 conversion kit? or is that just a rebadged Ciener?
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:51:25 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/4/2004 12:55:31 PM EST by LightningLink]
I have a Wilson conversion which I believe is a Ciener repackaged. I bought mine slightly used for about $150. I believe it is a commander model since it is shorter than my SA 1911A1 Mil-spec's slide, but uses a normal length magazine. FWIW, I think the Kimber model is also a repackaged Ciener, but don't quote me on it.

Mine shoots reasonably well and is accurate enough for plinking, but it is not as accurate as a Ruger Mk II or even a Walther P22 (close, but not quite). However, once I get about 100 rounds through it, it starts to "gunk-up" and have failures. A quick cleaning and it's good to go again. I don't know if this is normal or the result of using crappy bulk-pack ammo.

Personally, if you're going to spend the full $200 for a Ciener, I would seriously consider the Marvel. While I have no personal experience with them, they are highly rated in every 1911 .22 conversion thread I've ever read.

LL
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:56:43 PM EST
I had all kinds of problems dealing with Mr. Ceiner. He's a real SOB, I wouldn't buy anything from him, and I don't recommend him to anybody else.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:59:43 PM EST
Huh. No problems with mine.

Oh wait, there's one: I ride my thumb on the thumb safety. It rubs against the slide as it recoils back. It's not a problem with full house .45 loads... but it almost stops the .22.

I love mine.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 1:05:26 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 1:30:22 PM EST
I got the Marvel a couple years ago because of the good reviews that it had. It is very accurate. I also got the additional slide top so that I could mount a red dot sight, an extra mag and a compensator. It cost $506 with shipping. The little target that is included with the package had all of the holes in the 5 round group touching at 50 yds. (of course, at 50 yards, I am happy to get most on the paper and half scattered across the black)

I got a frame casting from rhe Tannery Shop. I had to cut the rails and assemble the frame. I used Chip McCormick parts.

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 2:10:42 PM EST
have one for the AR-15 & it's a POS, jam city, . I'd look to Wilson combat if I wanted to shoot 22s from a 1911. personaly, I'LL stick with .45s. I don't get the same kick shooting 22s...
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 2:21:29 PM EST
I love mine. It rides on a Springfield loaded. I hope that Ciener makes full-cap mags now that the ban is dead.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 12:23:10 AM EST

Originally Posted By redpine:
have one for the AR-15 & it's a POS, jam city, . I'd look to Wilson combat if I wanted to shoot 22s from a 1911. personaly, I'LL stick with .45s. I don't get the same kick shooting 22s...

Don't care about the AR kit. One has no bearing on the other.

Wilson's kits are made by ciener from what I can determine.

Reasons for doing this is so I can shoot more for the same $, without having to pay the sherriff for another 'permit to purchase' and all the other bullshit.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 12:23:50 AM EST

Originally Posted By H46Driver:
I love mine. It rides on a Springfield loaded. I hope that Ciener makes full-cap mags now that the ban is dead.

Their website says 15 round mags for the 1911 conversion
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:11:48 AM EST

Originally Posted By FanoftheBlackRifle:

Originally Posted By H46Driver:

Their website says 15 round mags for the 1911 conversion

Thanks for the tip.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:31:37 AM EST
I've done a lotta research,and the consensus is that the Marvel is the best of this type a product.

Reliable and incredibley accurate...costs alittle more.

All the others have some that are satisfied,but many that also complain,I can't recall anyone complaining about the function of the Marvel product...not once.

It's what I plan to get.

Do a search over at 1911forum.com,you'll get many threads full of info on this very subject.
Top Top