Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2002 1:01:30 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 2:18:19 PM EDT
[#1]
My mom had to have arthroscopic work done on her shoulder about 1 1/2 years ago.  She got a personal trainer to help her build a little lean muscle mass, as well as to help rehab her deltoid.  It wasn't cheap, but 3 days a week in the gym followed by a diet rich in protein and amino acid really made a difference in her body structure.

Final verdict:  if you get the ends to spend, then go for it.  My 5'3" 115lb mother is proof positive skinny people can add bulk.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 2:31:22 PM EDT
[#2]
No offense dude but I think personal trainers are for people who are to weak to stick to a workout regiment. Save your money and just workout on your own. Besides in 8 weeks you ain't gonna gain any bulk.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 2:33:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I highly advise Power Lifting.
Aim for strength, and your body will follow.
Personal trainers tend to think about appearance, not strength.

Squat, Deadlift, Bench-press.

NEVER more than 6-7 reps, EVER.

I put on 20+ lbs of muscle, since last February.
My waist has increased 1", but that's to be expected.

I work out twice a week, never for more than an hour.

Bodybuilding is gay.
Powerlifting is about athletic achievement.

Link Posted: 2/27/2002 2:46:01 PM EDT
[#4]
brouhaha, my wife just passed her personal trainers cert. (she is also certified in aerobics, spinning, yoga, and kickboxing) and I went back to the gym recently. At 6ft and 182(I'm shooting for about 175-180 with a flat stomach)Over the past year I have lost 25lbs following her advise about diet and I do some light running, but now it's time to build some muscle. I may be slightly biased, but trainers are definately worth the $ until you at least know how to perform all the exercises and get a program going. I know it sounds stupid, but it made a big difference with me. (also good motivation) That's my .02
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 8:27:33 PM EDT
[#5]
do some research and find out if this trainer is certified and by whom?
i use a synergy trainer at body plex,it's not about being unable to follow a workout schedule it's about doing it right and safely.
i am in the same boat you are(a lightweight) and over 40,but i wanted to get back into shape and working out with weights.
instead of just bouncing back to the gym and running the risk of getting a back injury i went with a trainer to help me do it right,do it safe and injury free.
if you mess up your back,your done....
rescue92
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top