Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2009 2:24:49 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/12/2009 3:10:23 PM EST by Beefypeanut]
What are some specific things you're looking for in a fuzzbox? Or is there something out there you like, but is too expensive and you wish was cheaper?

I like a box that is simple, maybe 2 or 3 knobs, Thick tone, and has the ability to get extremely fuzzed. But what about you all? Specific tones you look for?

I built a copy of an old Germanium Fuzzface and am building a different fuzzbox, based on the old Gibson Maestro (the box kieth used in Satisfaction), that's a little more custom. I'm wondering what your thoughts on them are.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 2:58:03 PM EST
I have no use for fuzzboxes, myself. All the gain and overdrive anyone could EVER want is right there inside my all tube,
custom built amp. I've got any level of overdrive you'd ever want from subtle, singing tones like BB King all the way to
the heaviest of metal tones. What it WON'T do is duplicate the sound of transistors being raped and axe-murdered,
which describes the tone of a LOT of "classic" fuzz boxes.

However, I don't object to judicious use of a modded Tube Screamer or a Rat, in the hands of SOME guitarists.

CJ
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 3:17:51 PM EST
Heh. I love fuzz, but then I don't like Metal, so whatever.

How do you feel about octavers? What kind of pedals do you like? I already know you don't like flangers.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 3:54:53 PM EST
I like flangers, in moderation. The effect shouldn't be too heavy or it becomes a gimmick.

This applies to all effects, in my opinion. The better the basic tone, the less you need to season it with effects,
and going too heavy on the effects obscures what you're playing.

Octavers are pretty cool. In moderation, of course. An octaver is one thing I've never owned that I'd LIKE to own.
In fact, it's in the top two for me. The top one is the E-H Mutron BiPhase that was once GIVEN to me...and to be totally
honest I don't have the faintest clue what happened to it. I only know I haven't found it in years. Last I heard they
were bringing about a grand.

One of my personal favorite toys is a subharmonic generator, tuned to be active below about 100 Hz. It fills in the bottom end
very nicely, particularly if the guitar's a bit thin to start with. It generates notes an octave below what it hears, within its
operating band. This is a standard part of my effects loop and its effect is not really all that noticeable but it does contribute
greatly to putting some weight into the guitar's tone. It really helps out on getting a fat chunk in the overdrive.

I like great tone, period. Dead clean or massive metal overdrive or anything in between, it's all good for me.

CJ
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:41:48 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/15/2009 4:43:51 AM EST by RunsWithScissors]
I am somewhat of a pedal connoisseur, though I have gotten away from the expensive short-run, boutique pedals.

For strats and Rics and any other utterly sustainless contraption, I use a Barber Tonepress or Boss CS-3 compressors.

For a boosted or OD sound I always come back to the original RAT, original Boss OD 1, or a Tube Screamer. A Klon Centaur has come and gone. It was good, but not good enough to cost $400. They go for $800 on Ebay .. lolwut?

For Fuzz, I like just about all of them for different reasons. I own a Maestro FZ-1a and was great and gnarly while it worked. It needs some work now. Fuzzfaces are nice with a strat. My Sola Sound Tonebender MKII professional is my favorite, getting those Beck/Page tones with a Les Paul. I also like the Roger Mayer/tycobrae octavia for that Hendrixy sound. If I don't want to bring the MKII, I bring a knock off called the YardBox by Prescription electronics. It's "almost there" and will pass for gigs. The key with a modern fuzz, or a reissue, is to run them with a dead battery, or get a voltage reduction device if you're using an AC adapter. Then they get mushy and gnarly (the good kind).

I don't use much modulation, but an Electro Harmonix Small Stone Phaser or a good, smooth Tremolo is nice sometimes. I don't use flanging or chorus.

For Wah, I prefer the Vox V846 to a Crybaby or Morley.

I love a good Analog delay. The MXR carbon copy is getting great reviews for short money, and so is the ModTone.
Top Top