Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/13/2017 1:17:36 PM EDT
I'm in the process of building a 9mm SBR on a PSA Glock lower but had some questions on what upper I should go with. I was looking at a 5-5.5 inch barrel length because I wanted to attach an Octane to suppress it, but didn't want it to be a dedicated host for it either. What is everyone's experience with which upper/length they prefer? I'm open to all suggestions.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 1:20:26 PM EDT
[#1]
My pistol has a 5.5" barrel on it. I think it would be a sweet setup for a SBR. As a pistol I think I would rather have a 10.5.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 1:21:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I used a 7" on mine then attached a Mystic X to it. I liked the balance of it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 1:23:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a 5.5" AR9 and love it. Its my new favorite gun to shoot and pretty damn accurate. With a KAK Flash can on the end it clears a 7" rail by about 0.75"
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 1:23:54 PM EDT
[#4]
tag, building a PCC
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 1:28:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My pistol has a 5.5" barrel on it. I think it would be a sweet setup for a SBR. As a pistol I think I would rather have a 10.5.
View Quote
Why would you choose different length barrels between an AR SBR and an AR Pistol?
They are the same gun, short of the hangy down, shoulder part.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 1:36:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Why would you choose different length barrels between an AR SBR and an AR Pistol?
They are the same gun, short of the hangy down, shoulder part.

A.W.D.
View Quote
More rail to hang on to without a stock and VFG. Probably not a huge deal, but would be my preference.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 1:40:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Adco makes a sweet 4.5" 9mm barrel.  You get longer than 6" or so and a lot of subsonic loads don't stay subsonic.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 1:40:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I went with a 5 inch barrel.  I use it with my can that is about 9 inches long when I add the 3 lug mount (can itself is 8 inches).  It's a bit longer than I'd like so I may end up going with a shorter barrel.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 1:42:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a 5" on my SBR, love it. I have a 3 lug on the end to attach my Octane.  5.5" SLR handguard.  Troy PDW stock. Colt mag adapter, not Glock.  It now has Diamondhead flip up sights.  Really cool shooting it without the long suppressor, too.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 1:45:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Here? is 7.

Link Posted: 4/13/2017 1:46:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Anywhere between 4.5 and 8.5.  4.5 is going to end up with a very small forend that can be difficult to use if you're a bigger/longer person.  Personally, My hand barely fits on the guard that short.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 1:53:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Adco makes a sweet 4.5" 9mm barrel.  
View Quote
Yes.  Yes, they do.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 1:53:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Anywhere between 4.5 and 8.5.  4.5 is going to end up with a very small forend that can be difficult to use if you're a bigger/longer person.  Personally, My hand barely fits on the guard that short.
View Quote
I never shoot my SBR by holding the handguard.  I move my hand back to the mag well.  Makes for real quick mag swaps, too, without dropping them on the ground, since my hand is right there.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 1:53:32 PM EDT
[#14]
I still haven't put my can on my 9.  Mine is 10.5 but i really like how my 8" .45acp handles.  

How many rounds are you firing before you clean your cans with 9mm? I can't go more than 50 with the GM9. 
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 2:04:11 PM EDT
[#15]
I've been really thinking about building one of these.  Are there gas issues in the face from the charging handle while running a can?
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 2:05:37 PM EDT
[#16]
I like 9mm ARs.

I have a 3", 8", 9.5" and 16"

Each has their own pros and cons.  I may add a 5 or 6" barrel in the future also.

The 16" with 147gr is pretty quiet even without a suppressor.

The 3" is a fun little gun.  I have a FF handguard on it so my Mystic X ends about 0.5" in front of the handguard.  It's much louder than the others though, and needs a stupidly heavy buffer to run best.

A 8-9.5" gun is by far the most practical though.  That is as short as you can go and still use standard 7" handguard and shoot it unsuppressed, and it's still nice and short with a suppressor on.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 2:10:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've been really thinking about building one of these.  Are there gas issues in the face from the charging handle while running a can?
View Quote
No.  There is no gas system, so the gas in the face isnt much of an issue.  You may get a little gas from the ejection port, but you can tone it down a good amount by using a different buffer weight and a gas deflector on the ejection port (the big plastic thing that most people think is a brass deflector)..
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 2:12:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Tag.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 2:17:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Adco makes a sweet 4.5" 9mm barrel.  You get longer than 6" or so and a lot of subsonic loads don't stay subsonic.
View Quote
That is only going to matter if you want 115gr or 124gr bullets to be subsonic.

Shooting any non +P 147gr is going to be subsonic in any barrel length.

At 4.5" with 115gr or 124gr bullets you have to be careful.  Some brands will be supersonic and some will be subs.  Many will be right on the line with some super some subs in the same box.

If you want to shoot the lighter bullets and ensure subsonic drop shorter to 3" or 3.75"
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 2:18:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Mine has a 4.5" faxon barrel with a three lug.  10"(?) Alg handguard and a tirant 45m, and a tirant9 shown as well.

I had been thinking itd be cool to use the fortis switchrail for a set up like this, then switch to a 6/7" handguard and use my tirant 9s, but they don't make one that short, and the internal diameter is too small =[

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 2:18:22 PM EDT
[#21]
I bought a 5" bbl from Orion Guns since it had a 5/8-24 thread on it. Most bbl's have a 1/2" thread. I use it with my Octane 9 can that has a direct thread mount adapter, same size as my .300BLK. So far so good, price is hard to beat at $100.

http://www.orionguns.com/AR-15-9mm-5-Barrel-Black-Nitride-ON-SALE-5-9mm-Bar.htm
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 2:19:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Shorter the better for sound suppression.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 2:20:48 PM EDT
[#23]
What are some of the pros and cons (minus length) for a 5 versus 7 inch? Ideally I'd prefer a shorter configuration, but if an extra 2 inches makes a difference then it might be well worth it to go 7.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 2:21:39 PM EDT
[#24]
6-8 inch.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 2:26:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Also remember when building a 9mm AR, the barrel will appear ~1" shorter than the same length barrel in 5.56, as there are no locking lugs.   Remember to take this into account when ordering the appropriate length hand guard, so that you don't end up with a hand guard too long for the barrel.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 2:27:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Shorter the better for sound suppression.
View Quote
No, just the opposite, but a shorter gun is more convenient to handle with a long suppressor on it
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 2:31:15 PM EDT
[#27]
I run a 5.5" on mine with an AAC EVO 9 on the end of it

Link Posted: 4/13/2017 2:32:48 PM EDT
[#28]
I didn't even think of that. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 2:33:47 PM EDT
[#29]
I do like the shorter barrel with the longer handguard to cover up the suppressor, but I want to be able to run it with out the suppressor and without changing out anything. That's what's keeping me from going that direction.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 2:35:40 PM EDT
[#30]
I just bought a Faxon 8.5 in the other day.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 2:37:49 PM EDT
[#31]
I am thrilled with my sixteen inch barrel. I'm not interested in the SBR run around.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 2:38:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I do like the shorter barrel with the longer handguard to cover up the suppressor, but I want to be able to run it with out the suppressor and without changing out anything. That's what's keeping me from going that direction.
View Quote
I was int he same situation.  I ended up making a bit of a barrel extension out of a solvent trap.  Attaches with a 3 lug mount, I just cut off the other end so there is no way to attach an end cap and make it a suppressor.  I left enough length to extend just outside of the handguard.  The end result is like a really long "flash can" type muzzle device.  I put that on the gun when I want to shoot it without the can on it.

I have a 5 inch barrel with a 7 inch handguard.. so my extension is only about 3 inches long.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 2:40:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
What are some of the pros and cons (minus length) for a 5 versus 7 inch? Ideally I'd prefer a shorter configuration, but if an extra 2 inches makes a difference then it might be well worth it to go 7.
View Quote
Depends, is it going to be suppressed?

a. sometimes or most of the time.
b. 100% of the time

If the answer is b 100% of the time I'd say go 5", and a long hand guard, ending just short of your suppressor.

If the answer is A.  I'd say go 7" that way you can put a standard carbine length FF rail on it, and not one of those ultra short pistol upper hand guards.

One thing to consider is if you want to bring it to any shoots.  A lot more clubs are running PCC shoots, and USPSA, Steel Challenge and 3 gun nation all have PCC divisions.  Many of them don't allow suppressors, because if the shot timers are set sensitive enough to pick up subsonic suppressed, they'll also pick up shots from neighboring bays.  Just something to think about if it is going to be your only 9mm upper might you might want the ability to shoot it unsuppressed, which leans to A.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 2:41:36 PM EDT
[#34]
It's sounding like a shorter might be more ideal for me to keep the overall length down with the Octane. I'd really prefer to buy a already assembled upper, what are some of your favorites?
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 2:43:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Depends, is it going to be suppressed?

a. sometimes or most of the time.
b. 100% of the time

If the answer is b 100% of the time I'd say go 5", and a long hand guard, ending just short of your suppressor.

If the answer is A.  I'd say go 7" that way you can put a standard carbine length FF rail on it, and not one of those ultra short pistol upper hand guards.

One thing to consider is if you want to bring it to any shoots.  A lot more clubs are running PCC shoots, and USPSA, Steel Challenge and 3 gun nation all have PCC divisions.  Many of them don't allow suppressors, because if the shot timers are set sensitive enough to pick up subsonic suppressed, they'll also pick up shots from neighboring bays.  Just something to think about if it is going to be your only 9mm upper might you might want the ability to shoot it unsuppressed, which leans to A.
View Quote
That's what I was looking for! In all honesty it will be more of A. Most likely it will be suppressed, but there might be some instances where I just run it without.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 2:47:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I was int he same situation.  I ended up making a bit of a barrel extension out of a solvent trap.  Attaches with a 3 lug mount, I just cut off the other end so there is no way to attach an end cap and make it a suppressor.  I left enough length to extend just outside of the handguard.  The end result is like a really long "flash can" type muzzle device.  I put that on the gun when I want to shoot it without the can on it.

I have a 5 inch barrel with a 7 inch handguard.. so my extension is only about 3 inches long.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you want to do something similar but no go the DIY route KAK makes a 3.25" and 5" long flash cans for $35-$40.  the Slimline version will fit under both ALG and Geissele rails.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 2:52:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
It's sounding like a shorter might be more ideal for me to keep the overall length down with the Octane. I'd really prefer to buy a already assembled upper, what are some of your favorites?
View Quote
I've never really looked at any, as I built all mine.  But 9mm uppers are real easy since there is no gas tube.  Insert the barrel in the receiver, tighten the barrel nut, mount the hand guard and you are done.

Torque isn't critical, and there is no gas tube to mount or align.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 2:53:13 PM EDT
[#38]
5.5" Ballistic Advantage barrel

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 2:53:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I just bought a Faxon 8.5 in the other day.
View Quote
You should be pleased with it, I am with mine
Attachment Attached File

7.25 Midwest handguard
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 3:02:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

You should be pleased with it, I am with mine
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/259822/IMG-6507-186527.JPG

7.25 Midwest handguard
View Quote
Did you build your upper or buy it complete? I haven't built an upper before, so I was just going to buy it complete.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 3:11:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Did you build your upper or buy it complete? I haven't built an upper before, so I was just going to buy it complete.
View Quote
I put it together, it's a new frontier side charging (obviously) which matches the Joe bobs lower perfectly (both made by new frontier) KAW valley bolt, buffer and spring. 8.5 faxon matches the Midwest handguard perfectly as well. It's not hard, get some aeroshell 33 ms grease for barrel extension threads, and I used some cheap vise clamps off eBay to hold it vertically instead of horizontally like the typical clamshell because of side charging
Vise blocks

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 3:20:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Well that link is supposed to go to an ebay listing for vise blocks but for some reason my computer is being funky.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 5:16:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Ballistics by the inch.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 5:26:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
Don't be afraid of buying and building with the exact parts you want.  A 556 upper is stupidly easy.  A 9mm upper is even easier.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 5:54:35 PM EDT
[#45]
5.5 inch barrel with a Crux Saxon9. 
BCP lower, Troy Alpha, RRA Upper
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 5:57:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Attachment Attached File

This is 8ish. Had Adco cut it down.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 6:11:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Where did you get that barrel and handguard at?
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 6:18:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Stock complete RRA upper from 10 years ago, minus carry handle and FSB. The aftermarket was much smaller then.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 6:19:30 PM EDT
[#49]
I have 3 9mm AR's, an 8", 12" and 16". The 8" seems perfect. It gets shot the most.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 6:33:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Don't be afraid of buying and building with the exact parts you want.  A 556 upper is stupidly easy.  A 9mm upper is even easier.
View Quote
Definitely not opposed to building one I just don't know much about it honestly. Where is a good place to get a 5.5 or 7in barrel?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top