Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/17/2018 6:02:29 PM EDT
The local pawn shop has one in good shape for less than $200. Yes or no?
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 9:25:09 PM EDT
It really depends on what you want to do with it? You can pick up a starter kit camera for not much more, but will be a whole lot newer. The D40 is ~11 years old at this point in time, so tech has gotten better by leaps and bounds. A max ISO of 3200 is pretty rough unless you're shooting in good light all the time IMO.

Are you just trying to get into photography on a low budget or ?
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 12:59:20 AM EDT
Are you just trying to get into photography on a low budget or ?
View Quote
Yes and no. Looking for something better than a cheap digital or cell phone camera. I thought a good older high-end camera would serve me better than either of those. I want something to keep in the truck for those everyday oddities I run across and something to document the grandkids activities. Being able to add a long lens is a major plus. Video is not anything I'm interested in. All I want is to take the pic and be able to download it to my PC.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 12:47:02 AM EDT
In really nice shape for about $100, and I'd go for it. I have one that recently died when I let a kid use it on a canoe trip. IMO, it would be better to spend the extra money on a 50D or higher. The 40D only goes up to 1600 ISO, and the dynamic range is less than stellar. The noise isn't great by today's standards either.
Top Top