BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2006 10:09:06 PM EDT
I was wrong.  

www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,17974242%255E1702,00.html

Government bans denim in schools

29jan06

THE West Australian government will ban jeans and other denim clothing from all state schools from next year.

State Education Minister Ljiljanna Ravlich says denim is associated with "having a good time" and has no place in primary or secondary schools.

The ban will be enforced by excluding students who defied it from social activities and excursions, although they would not be prevented from attending lessons, Ms Ravlich said.

The ban was suggested by former education minister and now Premier Alan Carpenter in September 2004.

"When students are at school I want them to be dressed appropriately, ready to concentrate on the day's work ahead, not be preoccupied with the latest fashion accessory, the latest fashion style," Ms Ravlich said today.

"I think being out of uniform is a distraction.

"We are not going to go as far as to mandate that public school students should wear a tie and blazer, but we do believe that by eliminating the denim we can increase the standard of dress amongst public school students.

"Students have denim jeans outside of school and that is exactly where they should be.

"They should be for weekend wear, they are associated with having a good time, with recreation, they should not be associated with school."

Ms Ravlich said only about 10 per cent of schools she had visited had issues concerning denim – the main problem areas were in regional and remote areas.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:30:18 PM EDT
[#1]
wow, i thought equillibrium was just a movie.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:47:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I will always be pro-school uniform.

If this is the start, so be it.

- BG
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:03:44 PM EDT
[#3]
It wasn't that long ago that only the absolute poorest kids would wear denim to school and many schools didn't allow it.  Not allowing it isn't that strange of an idea for those of us that are older.z
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:22:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Not allowing denim isn't that strange. The reason they gave is a little bit off, though.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:24:26 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
It wasn't that long ago that only the absolute poorest kids would wear denim to school and many schools didn't allow it.  Not allowing it isn't that strange of an idea for those of us that are older.z

I recall my grandparents bringing this point up a few times.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:41:24 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Not allowing denim isn't that strange. The reason they gave is a little bit off, though.

If they want a weird dress code, that's their problem. The reason they gave is fricking retarded though.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:44:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Now that I think about it, I wasn't allowed to wear jeans in the third and fourth grade. It was a private school. Looking back on it, I don't remember it being a big deal. I changed into jeans when I got home. Similarly, I can't wear jeans to work either, which has also never really bothered me.

I'll even go so far as to say their reasons aren't THAT crazy sounding - just poorly worded.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top