User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/13/2007 12:04:12 PM EDT
deleted
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:05:28 PM EDT
[#1]
WTF kind of diapers are you using?

I only have one in diapers but they contain quite well (pampers)
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:07:50 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

+1

I can't remember the name of the brand we use, but those suckers will hold a huge amount of liquid

Maybe I should do a diaper O' truth.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:08:28 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

We are using huggies. We've tried a couple different kinds and the same thing happens more or less. Tend to stay away from the "el cheapo" off brand ones.

ETA: Their diapers are full of liquid in the morning too, but they are peeing so much it ends up leaking out anyways. Its pretty disgusting to get them up in the morning, and they are soaked in urine.

Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:10:12 PM EDT
[#4]
My 13 month old wakes up to be changed in the middle of the night and her diapers are FULL...  I feel your pain.  We use Pampers too.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:10:26 PM EDT
[#5]
First, how much fluids are they drinking before going to bed?  May need to cut back on some.  It's been many years since I had any that age but we had those bed pads, like used in hospital beds, than absorbed water and kept it from leaking out onto the mattress.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:11:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Huggies? You have girls?

For some reason we have noticed that the girls have major leakage with Huggies and boys seem to have problems with Pampers.

Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:12:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, you have crappy diapers.

There should be a rubber cover that goes
over cloth diapers that might help.

I always used to fold out and stretch
the leg seals on the diapers. Never a problem.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:13:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Are you using cloth diapers or something?  Do you have the plastic sheet or plastic covered mattress?

Cut back on liquids after dinner.

we didn't have wet sheets until we started potty training our twins.  Ours are three, we have one the never has accidents the other is taking her time figuring it out.

Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:14:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

+1.  

If you ever take the kids swimming with regular diapers, you will find they can absorb nearly 25 pounds worth of water.  Maybe you have them on too loosely.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:15:24 PM EDT
[#10]
"Oust" air freshener.  If it's good enough for a grown man with a colostomy, it'll be good enough for two infants
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:15:37 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
First, how much fluids are they drinking before going to bed?  May need to cut back on some.  It's been many years since I had any that age but we had those bed pads, like used in hospital beds, than absorbed water and kept it from leaking out onto the mattress.  

They usually have a bottle/sipper cup of milk before going to bed, and then they wake up around midnight and have about half of one to go to sleep again. They eat dinner around 7pm, and go to bed between 8-9:30 depending on how fussy they are.

We use the pads too, and the mattress is plastic covered so it doesnt soak in. We have to wash both the sheet and pad everyday.

Seems like people are using huggies. When we need some more diapers thats what we'll try.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:15:55 PM EDT
[#12]
first, try the huggies supreme.  those things hold more liquid than any diaper i have ever seen.

next, they should not be having a bottle or sippy cup before bed.  cut them off 2 hours or so before sleep time, and change them right before you put them down for the night.

last, feed them more in the evening if you can.  the more solid food, the less need for a late bottle, the better they will sleep, and the drier they will be.

oh, and you might want to get some old fashioned rubber pants, and slap them on at bedtime.  if the diapers leak, at least they will contained and easy to clean.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:16:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Have you tried the next size up diapers, maybe the diapers are too small for them.  We had that problem with my oldest son, and when my wife went to the next size up, the problem went away.  Also don't feed them too much liquids before bed.  For awhile my son's room smelled like a barn.

BTW: You think you have problems wait until they become 16.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:18:49 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Are you using cloth diapers or something?  Do you have the plastic sheet or plastic covered mattress?

Cut back on liquids after dinner.

we didn't have wet sheets until we started potty training our twins.  Ours are three, we have one the never has accidents the other is taking her time figuring it out.

The problem is they will not go to sleep without a bottle. If you just feed them dinner, and then try to get them to sleep you'll be up past mid night with both of them screaming the whole time.

Their diapers are very full in the morning and weigh quite a bit.

Im also thinking of trying a next size larger diaper over the regular one. So it would be a size 4 and then a 5 on top.

Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:25:41 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They usually have a bottle/sipper cup of milk before going to bed, and then they wake up around midnight and have about half of one to go to sleep again. They eat dinner around 7pm, and go to bed between 8-9:30 depending on how fussy they are.

We use the pads too, and the mattress is plastic covered so it doesnt soak in. We have to wash both the sheet and pad everyday.

Seems like people are using huggies. When we need some more diapers thats what we'll try.

you're packing them full of liquids and they're peeing.

amazing how that works.

they don't need a sippy cup to go back to sleep....they're just using it as comforting measure, which is not a trait you want to instill. They need a pacifier or their thumbs.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:26:03 PM EDT
[#16]
We used cloth diapers with both of ours. Get up in the middle of the night and change them. They won't wake up, usually.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:26:21 PM EDT
[#17]
We've even used cheap Walmart and Kmart off brand diapers,and they still work fine and hold a ton of liquid.
What size are you using? 13mo is something like the generic size 2 or 3,IIRC.
Are you fastening those suckers on tightly at their waist?
Remember, the little velcro-like tabs fasten in front

Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:26:34 PM EDT
[#18]
We have an issue, and we have cloth diapers...

1) cut down thier milk/water intake before bed. If they insist on it, then they are just using it for comfort. Ween them from the liquids at night.

2) You can get 'doubler' inserts for your diapers. Imagine like a large pad full of that gel stuff that is in diapers. It can increase how much your diaper will hold.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:29:13 PM EDT
[#19]
DAYUUM!!
Twins soaking the bed every night would be teh suxors.
My wife and I don't do a mid-night diaper change either. No real rash problems have occured from this either, we have a M.O. of "don't wake a sleeping baby"
My 16 month old daughter usually has 1 piss worth of wetness in her diaper in the morning and she sleeps around 10 hours or more, ideally around 19:30 until 06:15.
We don't do a bed time liquid anymore unless she is difficult to put down. Maybe try and cut back on the liquids after dinner.
If she has really wet shity diapers, try feeding them a bananna as "Dessert", they tend to make the poop less runny. Luckily she tends to Deuce during the day...
Wow, I cannot believe I am typing this...
The things we do for our kids
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:30:16 PM EDT
[#20]
This might have happened two or three times to us and it's probably because the kid didn't get changed before they went to sleep, but there's no way it should be going on every night. Either your diapers suck or they aren't on tight enough. I've never heard of anybody having to use two diapers.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:31:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Diapers are strange.... I found that Huggies worked best with my girls, but Pampers work best with my little guy.  I don't know why, other than it must just be the way they fit on them.

That being said, there's NO reason they should be peeing that much at night, especially if you're changing them once during the night too.

Here's what I would suggest:  Back off the fluid intake by dinner time.  Hopefully then they'll do the majority of their nighttime peeing before they go to bed.

Try a different brand and size of diapers.  I did find that even though my girls were fitting into a size 3 weight-wise, they were leaking until I put them into the size 4's.  Your kids might need the next size up (regardless of what the weight guidelines say).

Continue to change them once during the night around 12 or 1-ish.  (Of course, my kids go to bed between 8 and 9.... if yours stay up later than that, then change them later than 1-ish.)

Good luck.  There's really no reason you should have to put up with what you're going through.  You'll find a solution.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:31:57 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Huggies? You have girls?

For some reason we have noticed that the girls have major leakage with Huggies and boys seem to have problems with Pampers.

That's so funny- mine are the exact opposite.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:33:36 PM EDT
[#23]
got to bind them on pretty tight

as somebody said, nix that middle of the night drink and give them the pacifier

my 14 month old daughter can absolutely piss one full but the good pampers properly fitted have yet to fail.

Good luck
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:35:07 PM EDT
[#24]
You have the change the diapers more than once a day
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:39:29 PM EDT
[#25]
They make Huggies Overnight diapers. They are designed for this. You can find them at any Babies R Us, Toys R Us, Wal Mart etc......

AccurateOne
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:39:44 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We are using huggies. We've tried a couple different kinds and the same thing happens more or less. Tend to stay away from the "el cheapo" off brand ones.

ETA: Their diapers are full of liquid in the morning too, but they are peeing so much it ends up leaking out anyways. Its pretty disgusting to get them up in the morning, and they are soaked in urine.

We have found the Target brand to hold up well. Walmart has another brand but we don't like going to the store unless traveling.  The name brands we tried didn't fit right and caused leaks.

Get a plastic bed liner which helps with cleanup and clean the plastic each time a spill occurs.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:48:12 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

The problem is they will not go to sleep without a bottle. If you just feed them dinner, and then try to get them to sleep you'll be up past mid night with both of them screaming the whole time.

this is not their problem, but yours.

sounds cold, but you have to eliminate the bedtime bottle.  let them scream if you have to, it will be brutal for a few nights, but i promise, the will learn how to go to bed without their bottle, and everyone will be happier in  the long run.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:49:54 PM EDT
[#28]
gf
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:55:16 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Ive suggested to her to cut back on liquids at night but she doesnt want to. We're kinda at odds over this because she doesnt think they will go to bed without a bottle. Its sorta a "she doesnt want to see them cry" type of thing when Im more of a they have to learn mentality. We'll see tonight....

Time to go to wal-mart and inquire about these over night diapers and get some pacifiers. We dont have any of either.

Thanks ya'll for the advice!

Compromise. Instead of a full bottle they get 1/2 of a bottle. Try that for a week, then move to 1/4 bottle and then pacifiers.  

Maybe discuss this issue of giving into the kids now? You have both used operant conditioning and made then use to having a bottle. No wonder they scream. If someone took my tit I would scream too!
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:55:49 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

this is not their problem, but yours.

sounds cold, but you have to eliminate the bedtime bottle.  let them scream if you have to, it will be brutal for a few nights, but i promise, the will learn how to go to bed without their bottle, and everyone will be happier in  the long run.  

Yeah - hes right. We are in the middle of this. We still let her have a bottle before bed - and a snack at night, but we have cut her intake by half now.

If they want a bottle to help sleep, just cut it down by half. 'The No Cry Sleep Solution for Toddlers' has a good chapter about this. My little one is the worst sleeper in the world. And *I* am the night time guy - so my nights get robbed from me on a regular basis.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:56:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Remember the weight markings on the package is supposed to be the  child weight...not the capacity of the diaper.  As others have mentioned...they are getting at least three bottles between 7pm and midnight.  Feed them dinner earlier and put them back to sleep at the same time.  the comfort bottle at 11 or 12 is just that.  The will cry at first, but after a while they will learn that they no longer get the midnight snack.  It's funny how things work but everything a baby does is learned behavior....i.e. they figure out how to pull mom and dads strings....My my son would not fall asleep in his bed and would rarely sleep through the night until his mom went back to work.(she works 3rds)...now he gets a bottle around 8pm, gets dropped off in  bed around 8:30...he falls asleep on his own...and usually sleeps until 7am.  He knows that mommy loves him, but he understands dad is in charge.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 1:01:14 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Ive suggested to her to cut back on liquids at night but she doesnt want to. We're kinda at odds over this because she doesnt think they will go to bed without a bottle. Its sorta a "she doesnt want to see them cry" type of thing when Im more of a they have to learn mentality. We'll see tonight....

Time to go to wal-mart and inquire about these over night diapers and get some pacifiers. We dont have any of either.

When you get to the breaking point, Google "Ferberize".  Richard Ferber has got the goods on getting kids to sleep easily.  An excerpt:

What exactly is the Ferber method?
In a nutshell, Ferber says you can teach your baby to soothe himself to sleep when he's physically and emotionally ready, usually sometime between 4 and 6 months of age. He recommends following a warm, loving bedtime routine and then putting your baby in bed awake and leaving him (even if he cries) for gradually longer periods of time. Putting a child to bed awake, says Ferber, is crucial to successfully teaching him to go to sleep on his own.

Parents are instructed to pat and comfort their baby after each predetermined period of time, but not to pick up or feed their baby. This routine is called "progressive waiting." The suggested waiting time, which Ferber charts in his book, is based on how comfortable you are with the technique, how many days you've been using it, and how many times you've already checked on your child that night.

After a few days to a week of gradually increasing the waiting time, the theory goes, most babies learn to fall asleep on their own, having discovered that crying earns nothing more than a brief check from you.

Link Posted: 8/13/2007 1:03:17 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Huggies? You have girls?

I may have switched it around.

Link Posted: 8/13/2007 1:07:47 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm right in line with everyone else. Make sure you have the right size diaper and cut back on the liquids. If your wife doesn't want to for the crying factor, give her this point, they are 13months old so no doubt have teeth, any dentist will tell you that children put to sleep with a bottle or sippy cup end up with more cavities and tooth decay. I'm not big on binkis either, but my 8 month old does have them. I hate to see/hear her cry, but the middle of the night bottle just isn't an option for us. I am trying to say her teeth in the long run and my sanity in the short... Once they figure out they have the upper hand on one thing(ie the comfort bottle) they will try it in every other aspect. Good luck!
~M
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 1:11:27 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When you get to the breaking point, Google "Ferberize".  Richard Ferber has got the goods on getting kids to sleep easily.  An excerpt:

What exactly is the Ferber method?
In a nutshell, Ferber says you can teach your baby to soothe himself to sleep when he's physically and emotionally ready, usually sometime between 4 and 6 months of age. He recommends following a warm, loving bedtime routine and then putting your baby in bed awake and leaving him (even if he cries) for gradually longer periods of time. Putting a child to bed awake, says Ferber, is crucial to successfully teaching him to go to sleep on his own.

Parents are instructed to pat and comfort their baby after each predetermined period of time, but not to pick up or feed their baby. This routine is called "progressive waiting." The suggested waiting time, which Ferber charts in his book, is based on how comfortable you are with the technique, how many days you've been using it, and how many times you've already checked on your child that night.

After a few days to a week of gradually increasing the waiting time, the theory goes, most babies learn to fall asleep on their own, having discovered that crying earns nothing more than a brief check from you.

Some good advice in this thread and I'll summarize again:

-more solid food and less liquids at bedtime. If they "must" have a bottle only give them a small amount and nothing when they wake up.
-get a pacifier to help calm them. you can throw it away after they turn two.
-If they wake up late (if they spit the pacie out), give it back to them and try and calm them back to sleep. don't give more liquid!

The Ferber thing works, as painful as it is for you a good cry wont kill them, it actually tends to wear them out.

BTW: We use Pampers on my son with no issues but if I load him up on fluid at bedtime it will leak.

Sounds like just a little behavioral modification for all involved and you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 1:13:04 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Huggies? You have girls?

I may have switched it around.

Eh, every kid is different.  My girls were alot fatter than my boy too.  They all grow out of it, but man alive my girls were chunky babies!  That might have had something to do with it.....
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 1:17:35 PM EDT
[#37]
tag for later
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 1:17:39 PM EDT
[#38]
In addition to the advice you have been given, if they are boys, aim their little member DOWN, towards their feet, before fastening new diaper.

I've found this to cut down on the occasional diaper leakage, directing the pee to where it can be held/absorbed better.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 1:22:14 PM EDT
[#39]
edit
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 1:23:56 PM EDT
[#40]
I have twin 10 month old boys and we are using Pampers whatever model.
Never have had a problem.  They have some very heavy (lots of liquid being held in) diapers some mornings.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 1:25:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Need better diapers and not so much fluids right before bed. Worked for us.

Eta- are the diapers the correct size ?
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 1:26:15 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
In addition to the advice you have been given, if they are boys, aim their little member DOWN, towards their feet, before fastening new diaper.

I've found this to cut down on the occasional diaper leakage, directing the pee to where it can be held/absorbed better.

+1 on this and the Huggies night time diapers, there is a real difference. I'll also second the reduction of liquids, we are toilet training and the boy has been used to a sippy cup with water in it. Now we let him have a drink from a regular glass and then no more until morning, this pissed him off royally but he has accepted it.

Seriously though, the over night diapers are well worth it.

96Ag
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 1:27:48 PM EDT
[#43]
same thing

1. we cut back on the night time bottle some
2. using "night time " dipers
3. get a good pad or 10 to keep it from soaking thru

other than that its been wash sheets/PJ's day like everyother day
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 1:28:48 PM EDT
[#44]
1.  Be the parent. If they "won't" go to bed without a "before bed bottle", then you need to break that habit..

2. BOTTLE?  Wow dude, our kid was off the bottle by 9 months.  

3. Midnight feeding at 13 months?  No way in hell that would happen in our house...at 13 months, they should be sleeping through the night...another BAD habit you need to break.

4. If you HAVE to feed them something before bed, give them something solid that doesn't load up their bladder, but ween off of that altogether.  As "normal food eaters", it's not good to eat and then sleep.

Get rid of the bottle at bedtime and the midnight feedings and you'll probably be fine.  This 'lifestyle change' may come with some complaints from your kids, but hey, you're in for YEARS of that shit anyway, so get used to it.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 1:39:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 2:11:02 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
1.  Be the parent. If they "won't" go to bed without a "before bed bottle", then you need to break that habit..

2. BOTTLE?  Wow dude, our kid was off the bottle by 9 months.  

3. Midnight feeding at 13 months?  No way in hell that would happen in our house...at 13 months, they should be sleeping through the night...another BAD habit you need to break.

4. If you HAVE to feed them something before bed, give them something solid that doesn't load up their bladder, but ween off of that altogether.  As "normal food eaters", it's not good to eat and then sleep.

Get rid of the bottle at bedtime and the midnight feedings and you'll probably be fine.  This 'lifestyle change' may come with some complaints from your kids, but hey, you're in for YEARS of that shit anyway, so get used to it.

Good luck!

Condescending much?

2) Bottles are handier at bed time.

3) Sleeping through the whole night at 13mo is more an exception than a rule. And every kid is different. My kid is a horrible sleeper. I know kids who sleep anywhere and any time.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 2:13:22 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Im pretty much with you guys on this. I think she is coddling them too much as it is, and is teaching them that if they cry they get whatever they want instantly so they wont scream. She can barely punish them for anything because then she'll feel bad about it. I guess she loves them so much she can't bare to see them in any type of discomfort when in the end its much worse. Right now as I said they have already learned that if they cry mom comes in and gives them attention.

I think Im going to have to have a discussion with her on this and the ramifications in the long run. We need to get this worked out now and not when they are older.

Again thanks, and Im going to do some reading on the bed time techniques you guys mentioned.

Have her think less in terms of 'punishment'. At 13mo they are just trying to convey what they want and what makes them comfortable. But at some point some behaviors needs to be corrected. Having them cry a bit wont kill them.

Having a night time ritual seems to help a lot of people and is what every book/website I have seen suggests.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 6:14:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Make a cheap mattress by cutting an old sleeping mat (poly pad) in half, and doubling it up.

Stick it in the tub.

Put them to bed in the tub, naked.

Rinse in the morning with the shower head.

Yeah, in case you didn't figure it out - no kids here.

Link Posted: 8/13/2007 6:15:46 PM EDT
[#49]
It is only a problem if the baby gets a rash.

Like my late Dad told me after the baby was born - "think twice before having kids because you have them the rest of your life".  Man, some day you will think that having wet diapers was the least of your problems.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 6:26:47 PM EDT
[#50]
You need to show some flexibility on this.  Every child is different but it is a fact that as they eat more solids they'll have less need for a full bottle before bedtime and they're much more likely to sleep through the night.

Take all the advice here with a grain of salt (including mine!) as what works for other people may not be the right answer for you.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top