Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/11/2005 5:15:29 PM EDT
cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/nice-87-toyota-van-4-cyl-automatic-low-reserve_W0QQitemZ4581241519QQcategoryZ6059QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Anyone ever own one of those?

They look pretty cool.

one question,
where is the engine?
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 5:17:23 PM EDT
[#1]
My in-laws had one like that, but white. My wife says you sit on on the engine.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 5:19:27 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
My in-laws had one like that, but white. My wife says you sit on on the engine.

My guess is the engine is under the driver's or passenger's seat? I remember watching Pimp My Ride and they had a 80's Daihatsu van that had the motor under the pass. seat.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 5:24:47 PM EDT
[#3]
They are a pain to work on. The driver seat has to come out to access the engine.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 5:27:49 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
They are a pain to work on. The driver seat has to come out to access the engine.

Okay, I'm not buying or anything.  Besides, the parts are probably impossible to find.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 5:28:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Bought one brand new in 1987.  Traded it in 1985 after 118,000 good miles.

Loved it.  Solid, fun to drive.  A bit underpowered with a 2.2 4cyl and auto.

Mine had dual AC and a honest to God fridge powered by the A/C units.  Kept a 6 pack *cold*.

Engine is located under the drivers seat (it's mounted rotated 90 degrees from upright.  You have to slide the passenger seat forward then tilt the seat back forward as well, then you have enough clearance to open the engine bay by lifting up the drivers seat.  It's something the oil change places had fits over.

Mine also was the same color as the one you linked.

The power sunroof in the back is HUGE (about half the roof opens).

I've got nothing but good things to say about mine.

Link Posted: 10/11/2005 5:30:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Mine had dual AC and a honest to God fridge powered by the A/C units.  Kept a 6 pack *cold*.

Engine is located under the drivers seat (it's mounted rotated 90 degrees from upright.  You have to slide the passenger seat forward then tilt the seat back forward as well, then you have enough clearance to open the engine bay by lifting up the drivers seat.  It's something the oil change places had fits over.

You went back in time?
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 5:31:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Very nice-but did you buy it in '87, acquire a time machine, turn it back to '85, and sell it?
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 5:33:17 PM EDT
[#8]
His real name is Michael J Fox, and it all happened the day he got it up to 88 mph...
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 5:36:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
His real name is Michael J Fox, and it all happened the day he got it up to 88 mph...

Anyone whos ever drove one of these vans knows that is impossible

Not time travel... getting the damn thing to 88mph!
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 5:52:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 5:53:00 PM EDT
[#11]

It uses a little oil, maybe a quart every 1,000 miles or so, not bad for 230,000 miles on it.

230,000 miles is pretty impressive on a vehicle like that even if it does smoke.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 6:00:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Friend of mine had one. It had a punishing ride, was cramped in the front seat, and wasn't particularly reliable - Definitely one of Toyota's poorer vehicles.

IIRC, they offered a turbocharged version of the 4-banger for a while - almost made it drivable.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 6:19:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Where did you install the flux capacitor?
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 6:58:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Uhh , the design lends itself to chopping off your legs in a crash.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 7:04:35 PM EDT
[#15]
I pissed out the side of one back in 1993. Was on a trip to the Corvette Museum and show. Got snowed in in Franklin,TN. We got cabin fever and headed back to Alabama. We had to dig out of the nieghborhood at my friend's parent's. Once we headed back, we could not stop due to the fear of getting stuck on the interstate. So...I let it fly out the side.

The van seemed to be a pretty decent ride. I liked it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 7:11:09 PM EDT
[#16]
known to be underpowered so prepare for bad performance
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 7:38:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Mom had one back in the day

If I'm not mistaken, the battery in that van is located under the back drivers side captains chair Too wierd
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 7:51:48 PM EDT
[#18]
IIRC Nissan made a van that was almost an exact copy of the Toyota Van, and they wound up buying them back from customers because of fire problems. My parents almost bought a used one for 5k, and didn't because of the heat coming up from the engine. I think the payout by Nissan was just into the 5 figures for the buyback. Lost some money there...
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 7:54:06 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

If I'm not mistaken, the battery in that van is located under the back drivers side captains chair Too wierd

I don't know what is weirder, the Toyota or a Vanagon. Vanagons are definately not the run of the mill car...Neither are their owners usually...
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 7:55:45 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Same here, ugly as sin
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:02:12 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
IIRC Nissan made a van that was almost an exact copy of the Toyota Van

So did Mitsubishi. Back in the 80's, the Japanese didn't place a huge emphasis on original thinking.

Apparently, it's still a pretty popular design in some parts of the world - You still see plenty of them in photos from the middle east, Asia, etc.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:14:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:21:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Man, they are still everywhere over here in Okinawa.  One of the most popular vans for SOFA status people.  The single Marines love'm because you pack a whole squad into them!
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:23:10 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
IIRC Nissan made a van that was almost an exact copy of the Toyota Van, and they wound up buying them back from customers because of fire problems. My parents almost bought a used one for 5k, and didn't because of the heat coming up from the engine. I think the payout by Nissan was just into the 5 figures for the buyback. Lost some money there...

Yes. My 7th grade teacher had a Nissan Van.  Apparently, from a brochure I saw, it had a frige in the front dash of the vehicle.  IIRC he had 200,000 miles+ on it.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:24:27 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
known to be underpowered so prepare for bad performance

Twonami, I'm not planning to buy one, I saw one(actually 2 but I linked one) on Ebay and wondered if any arfcommers own or have owned one of these interesting machines.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:26:36 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
IIRC Nissan made a van that was almost an exact copy of the Toyota Van

So did Mitsubishi. Back in the 80's, the Japanese didn't place a huge emphasis on original thinking.

Apparently, it's still a pretty popular design in some parts of the world - You still see plenty of them in photos from the middle east, Asia, etc.

Skibane, yes I saw one of the Mitsubishi vans on Ebay maybe last year.  My guess is because fuel is so expensive overseas-In Japan last time I checked it was the equivalent of $3.50/gal, and these cars are economical and hey, if you have a big family...
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:35:05 AM EDT
[#27]
I saw a movie on a Australian dragracing site once,
They had dropped V8 in behind the front seats, built a frame, shortened axle etc. That thing went sideways the whole way down the strip.
Had a ladder strapped to the roof etc.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:36:01 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I saw a movie on a Australian dragracing site once,
They had dropped V8 in behind the front seats, built a frame, shortened axle etc. That thing went sideways the whole way down the strip.
Had a ladder strapped to the roof etc.

Hillarious!
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:45:47 AM EDT
[#29]
They redesigned em' for 1990 or 1991 and introduced the Toyota Previa.  Kindof looked like a bigger Jellybean.  Toyota made them a bit bigger than the older van and added more power to the engine but in reality it was really the same van in design just bigger and more comfy.  My parents STILL have theirs with about 240,000 miles on it.  They're finally thinking about getting rid of it.

These also had the same forward mid-engine design though they were slightly better to work with and the insulation between the engine compartment and cabin is much better.  My dog used to like to sleep on the firewall between the captain's chair and shotgun.  

Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:47:10 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
They redesigned em' for 1990 or 1991 and introduced the Toyota Previa.  Kindof looked like a bigger Jellybean.  Toyota made them a bit bigger than the older van and added more power to the engine but in reality it was really the same van in design just bigger and more comfy.  My parents STILL have theirs with about 240,000 miles on it.  They're finally thinking about getting rid of it.

Wasn't the Previa "mid-engined" like the older van was?
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:48:27 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Ah, edited above.  They were basicly the same.  The front end just had things like radiator and places to check/top off oil.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:49:10 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ah, edited above.  They were basicly the same.  The front end just had things like radiator and places to check/top off oil.  

Okay thanks.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 9:00:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Those early Toyota vans were some of the most stolen vehicles during their heyday. I think all you had to do was look at the ignition funny and it would start for whoever.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 9:08:31 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Those early Toyota vans were some of the most stolen vehicles during their heyday. I think all you had to do was look at the ignition funny and it would start for whoever.

A lot of the 80's/early 90's Toyotas are very popular still IIRC with thieves.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 9:28:10 AM EDT
[#35]
I think the Previa had an optional supercharger. That sounds like fun...
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 9:35:18 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A lot of the 80's/early 90's Toyotas are very popular still IIRC with thieves.  

Neighbor had their 91 Camry stolen last week. Cops told them it was a popular model to steal.

Re: the Toy vans. I once worked for a video production company that used one as a production vehicle. With a three person crew and a basic equipment load of about 250-300 lbs it was a dog.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 9:46:03 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Quoted:

LMFAO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top