Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 9/6/2010 5:04:36 AM EDT
You know what I mean.  2 wheels in the front, one in the back.  Seem to have popped up all over in the past year or so.

Why?

I understand how fun motorcycles are.  I had one for 8 years.  Almost died on it twice.

Most of the fun (IMO) is leaning into the turns.  Which, obviously, this contraption can't do.

So, you have all the danger of riding a motorcycle (no protection from impacts) with none of the fun, and at the same price virtually as a car.

If you're handicapped, I understand.  If not, why?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:07:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I have seen a lot of them this year...not my cup of tea...........I'll stop there!!
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:08:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I think they are kinda cool.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:10:01 AM EDT
[#3]
every big group of motorcycles needs at least one guy with a 3 wheeler
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:11:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I know a few people with the trike conversions, 2 wheels in back. One guy is small with a bad back, the other older with bad legs.

Guess they still like some wind in their hair.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:11:24 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I think they are kinda cool.

+1 The CanAms are kind of neat.

I'm not going to hate on another cycle rider, no matter what they ride.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:11:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:16:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Trikes blow ass, I hate em. They are the motorcyclists equivalent of the electric handi-carts that the whales scoot around on at Wal-Mart.

"Hey I'm old, look at my trike! It's actually MORE dangerous that a 2 wheeler, but I don't know or care, because I don't have to put my feet down when I stop, and I put ZERO effort into it when I ride!"

Trikers go away.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:16:51 AM EDT
[#8]
motorcycle = donorcycle

If I ever ride one, it will be a three wheel.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:17:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Trikes blow ass, I hate em. They are the motorcyclists equivalent of the electric handi-carts that the whales scoot around on at Wal-Mart.

"Hey I'm old, look at my trike! It's actually MORE dangerous that a 2 wheeler, but I don't know or care, because I don't have to put my feet down when I stop, and I put ZERO effort into it when I ride!"

Trikers go away.

how are they MORE dangerous??
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:20:53 AM EDT
[#10]
I am interested in getting one. I lost both legs years ago and rode bikes up until then, now it looks like I have an option. My neighbor down the rode has one and has offered to let me take it for a spin.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:21:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Snowmobile on wheels. Too each their own I guess but, not really my style. They would definitely serve a great purpose for those who cannot ride a traditional two-wheeled motorcycle.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:24:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Trikers go away.

Try to turn a sweeping bend at highway speed on a 3 wheeler and get back to me. They have HORRIBLE handling characteristics. Very flippy. Being disabled without the use of your legs would be the only reason to get one. If your legs work, and you own a trike however I stand by my statement that you are an old douche.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:26:01 AM EDT
[#13]
This thread isn't going as well as the OP had initally planned.....
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:27:28 AM EDT
[#14]
My wife won't even consider trying to learn to ride a motorcycle, but wants one of those stupid can ams
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:27:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Might as well go ahead and make it a quad.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:28:51 AM EDT
[#16]
The pussies solution to being afraid to lean while turning.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:29:08 AM EDT
[#17]
If I'm not mistaken, they're called Spyders and are from the makers of Sea-Doo's
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:32:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Trikers go away.

That is a picture of my Dad.  We took that picture on a day that he rode his trike to radiation therapy.  Tomorrow will be one year exactly since he lost his battle with cancer.

I am sorry that guys like my Dad upset you so much.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:42:01 AM EDT
[#19]
I can see having a standard trike if you can't ride a regular motorcycle, but I am at a loss trying to figure out the reason behind Can Am's.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:43:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I am interested in getting one. I lost both legs years ago and rode bikes up until then, now it looks like I have an option. My neighbor down the rode has one and has offered to let me take it for a spin.

This I understand completely.  But I am talking about the (seemingly) intact and capable people on them.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:44:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Trikers go away.

http://www.caringbridge.org/tres/images/photos/1/0/3/1/103166/l.NVhpslcZgwSXkWSI.jpg

That is a picture of my Dad.  We took that picture on a day that he rode his trike to radiation therapy.  Tomorrow will be one year exactly since he lost his battle with cancer.

Yep that's what trikers look like.
But that's a cheap shot, as if I'm insulting your dead dad.
I'm sure he was a heeluva guy, but like I said trikes are for old people who do not want to ride a real motorcycle, cancer or no cancer.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:45:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

What are you talking about?  How did I have it "planned?"  I am asking a legitimate question.  Why do you assume I have a preconceived response I am fishing for?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:46:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Personally, I hate all motorcycles now. I had a Harley that I sold over 10 years ago when Harley culture became absolute faggotry and an outlet for CPA's to get their "rebel" on.

Most bike riders annoy the fuck out of me now. The noise of the bikes and the general faggotry disguised as rebellion really doesn't do it for me.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:46:31 AM EDT
[#24]
The OP nailed it with "almost dying"

It is a different form of adventure.

I like grape (sv650)

Some people like watermelon. Go figure.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:46:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Might as well go ahead and make it a quad.

I was thinking this, too.  At least if you had 2 wheels in the back, maybe you can get some cool treaded tires and use it in the snow or something.  As it stands, it is useless in the snow.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:47:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Not what I'm talking about.  The other ones - with the 2 wheels in front and 1 in the back.  What you dad had has been around forever.  I'm speaking of the new-fangled can-am things.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:49:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Trikers go away.

Try to turn a sweeping bend at highway speed on a 3 wheeler and get back to me. They have HORRIBLE handling characteristics. Very flippy. Being disabled without the use of your legs would be the only reason to get one. If your legs work, and you own a trike however I stand by my statement that you are an old douche.

If it has two wheels up front, and one wheel in the back, and the builder got the weight distribution right, they handle curves better than a car.

If it has two wheels in back, and one wheel up front, they aren't built for curves.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:50:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Trikers go away.

http://www.caringbridge.org/tres/images/photos/1/0/3/1/103166/l.NVhpslcZgwSXkWSI.jpg

Yep that's what trikers look like.
But that's a cheap shot, as if I'm insulting your dead dad.
I'm sure he was a heeluva guy, but like I said trikes are for old people who do not want to ride a real motorcycle, cancer or no cancer.

My Dad's legs worked just fine.  I appreciate you not insulting him, that was very classy of you.

Quoted:

Being disabled without the use of your legs would be the only reason to get one. If your legs work, and you own a trike however I stand by my statement that you are an old douche.

How about this:  My Dad wanted one, he paid cash for the one in the picture, and some jackhole hasn't managed to make them illegal.....yet.  

As a supposed gun community this shouldn't be so difficult to understand.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:50:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Trikers go away.

sorry for your loss
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:51:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not what I'm talking about.  The other ones - with the 2 wheels in front and 1 in the back.  What you dad had has been around forever.  I'm speaking of the new-fangled can-am things.

My post wasn't aimed at you, unless you called trike riders douches and I missed it.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:54:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Older people, disabled people.  To each their own.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:54:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:56:17 AM EDT
[#33]
I don't get'em either, for the wife maybe but if you're going to do "it" do it right and get a bike.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:56:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Trikers go away.

You might want to deal with your loss in a different way.  The poster was supposed to know some guy's dead dad had a three wheeler?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:56:57 AM EDT
[#35]
It's not a "motor cycle" it's a tri-cycle.

and they're the fugliest, gheyest, form of transportation to come out since the Segway.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:59:02 AM EDT
[#36]
The Can-am is fun to ride. Being a three wheeled bike also gets rid of a motorcycle endorsement requirement and helmet laws, depending upon your state.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:59:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Some guys keep their balls in their wife's purse. These guys often have a hard time getting permission from their wife to purchase a real motorcycle, but she will allow them to ride a trike.

Personally, I do not consider a three wheeler, either two in front / one in back or two in back / one in front, to be a motorcycle. They are neither a motorcycle or a car. Yes, I know, that most DMVs consider them a three wheel motorcycle, and they do resemble a motorcycle more than a car. However they do not require the same dynamic input from the rider as a real motorcycle and can be operated by totally unskilled riders.

Try to talk a MSF Rider Safety Course instructor into letting you ride a three wheeler in a class. This class is for motorcycles.

If you want to ride one and are not disabled then you get no respect from me as a motorcyclist. Sorry, that's just the way I feel about it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:01:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:01:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What are you talking about?  How did I have it "planned?"  I am asking a legitimate question.  Why do you assume I have a preconceived response I am fishing for?

Well unless you "planned" to start a pissing match between a couple of folks here I stand by my inital post....jus sayin

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:01:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
It's not a "motor cycle" it's a tri-cycle.

and they're the fugliest, gheyest, form of transportation to come out since the Segway.

I've heard them (two wheels up front, one wheel in the back) referred to as 'reverse trikes'.

They have a big advantage over traditional trikes (two wheels in back, one wheel up front) in handling, but they do look odd.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:02:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Trikers go away.

You might want to deal with your loss in a different way.  The poster was supposed to know some guy's dead dad had a three wheeler?

My loss has been dealt with fine, before and after Dad took his last breath.

I was helping the poster understand that trying to sound like a badass by taking shots at groups of people doesn't always work out in the best way.

Besides, he wants trikers to go away so I was able to give him an example.  Unfortunately, a good friend of Dad's (who is much younger and 100% able-bodied) bought the trike from us and rides it all the time.  Knowing that it pisses some people off so badly has put a smile on my face.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:02:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Those evil baby killin rifles with the clips that hold to many bullits. WHY?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:03:46 AM EDT
[#43]
I've heard that they corner like they're on rails.

And you have room for more shit.

What's not to like?

Some people are protesting a bit too much here.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:03:50 AM EDT
[#44]
Nothing wrong with them, they're just something different. It doesn't matter what you ride, just ride.

Haters are going to hate.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:05:05 AM EDT
[#45]
I've seen a good many women riding them around here.  Some of them pretty short that I would think they could not even touch the ground on a standard bike.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:05:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Those evil baby killin rifles with the clips that hold to many bullits. WHY?

Somebody gets it.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:06:23 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Being a three wheeled bike also gets rid of a motorcycle endorsement requirement and helmet laws, depending upon your state.

At least that makes some sense, if you don't have to get a special license or wear a helmet.  Not that I agree with those laws, but at least it could be a reason.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:06:33 AM EDT
[#48]
I think if you like them,fine.What's the big fuckin deal???Not really my cup of tea,but i've seen a few that look pretty cool.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:08:49 AM EDT
[#49]
The Can Ams look neat but I would never own one. They cost too much for what they are. I never hate on another motorcyclist, other than the stoopid Harley riders that don't wave back because I'm on a super sport...
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:09:04 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Trikers go away.

I'll give you that for the rear double trikes, but front doubles should be less tippy.  You can hike your body weight to the inside of the turn to help keep the weight from shifting too far to the outside as well.  Seems like it might handle pretty well.  Lots more meat on the pavement for traction, and if it can keep em flat it should do well.  

I just wish someone made a double front trike in front wheel drive with twin hydrostatics and a caster rear wheel so you could do zero radius turns like a mower.....  Think of the tricks you could do before you died.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top