Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2001 6:10:40 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 6:12:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
To get around a damm filter on a network.

The computer network at my reserve center now blocks damm near everything but government and news sites. I am staying there all night on phone watch and can't even check in here.

The Horror!
View Quote

Heheh... Welcome to the Government. I work for the Postal Service and have similar problems. I can get around their network filter by simply changing proxy servers. You should be able to do something similar, but it'd be a pain in the ass to find an un-filtered proxy on your network.

Ian
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 6:23:41 AM EDT
[#2]
See if this helps,

[url]http://www.anonimizer.com[/url]

M.
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 6:25:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 6:30:07 AM EDT
[#4]
[URL]www.safeweb.com[/URL]

Works in some places I've been.
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 6:31:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Garand Shooter:

It depends on what you are going through.  Most companies (and government) use content filters such as websense to cens...err keep people from accessing sites of a dubious nature.  If they are using some of the newer versions, there is not much hope of getting around it, unless you point your browser to a different proxy/firewall which may be hard to find.

If they are using the older versions, they check the URL (www.badsitewedonotwantyoutosee.com) and compare it to a list of the 'off-limit' sites.  Some of the older ones will not have the IP addresses of the sites in their list.  You can try to ping the url to get the IP address and connect that. (to ping, click start, run, type in either command [win9X] or cmd[winnt/2k] then ping www.siteyouwanttogetto.com)

BTW, this post is not to say that I condone the attempt to try to by-pass existing network security and should be used for informational purposes only
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 6:43:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Do it the old school way.

Use a telnet session (local or remote) and browse ar15.com using lynx. (insert evil laugh here).
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 6:57:58 AM EDT
[#7]
get a remote unix shell, run an X emulator on the desktop, use ssh tunnel to hit remote box and run browser from there.

*warning - this turns you into a major geek.*

Link Posted: 9/21/2001 7:08:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 7:19:09 AM EDT
[#9]
everyones over complicating the problem just download a broweser that the network is not using IE. if they are using internet explorer download netscape navigater. most network admins when setting blocks up do it the lasy way and may not have a block set up for someone who is smart enough just to use a different browser.
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 9:52:28 AM EDT
[#10]
You've got mail!

Semper Fi

Link Posted: 9/21/2001 10:03:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Damn Gub'mint Monkey.  You jez wanna go to them girlie sites.  Straighten up, soldier, and watch that phone!! [spank]
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 10:22:11 AM EDT
[#12]
If it's necessary, I will set up an ssh enabled, jailed host and allow traffic from you guys.  I could have it ready later today, but everone is going home for the weekend anyway.  I will have it ready on Monday morning if we need it.  Let me know if there are enough of you out there that this would be practical.  The "jail" is basically just a virtual machine.  It is its own host and nothing done in there can destroy my "real" box, but please do not h4X0r it up or I will not re-do it.  

I'm sorry about the X11 (graphical display), but I don't have the resources to support that.  I can install lynx, (a web browser) it's "primitive" in that it is text based, but it works!  A big plus w/lynx is that it doesn't do pics and javascript, so if you are just reading articles it is far faster than NS or IE.

You guys can get the (trial copy) SSH client here: [URL]http://www.ssh.org[/URL]  

Also, be advised that there will be additional latencies involved due to the "gated" nature of your connection, but it does work.

Secure Shell also makes sure that only you and your server know what is contained in the packets that are Tx'd/Rx'd because it is encrypted.  That means that even your offices IT guy can not "sniff" the traffic.  All he would get is useless gibberish.

PS- I will do this if there are at least two of you guys that are being filtered through your employer's proxy.
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 11:44:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 1:48:08 PM EDT
[#14]
If safeweb doesn't work, chances are it's because AR15.com seems to require javascript to be enabled in order to display anything in threads.  Safeweb doesn't get along with javascript. . . .  But give it a try.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top