Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/27/2006 8:06:18 PM EDT
My daughter-in-law is being detained and issued a trespassing citation for refusing to show her receipt at Wal-Mart. That's right - trespassing, for attempting to leave without delay. What's a fair price for WWB .223 - so I can tell her what to charge when she owns the place?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:07:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag for when I am sober.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:07:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Strange.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:08:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh shit....
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:08:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah right like you expect us to believe she will hire a high-profile attorney and sue Walmart into bankruptcy...That alone is IMPOSSIBLE. Not to mention even getting into court over something is idiotic as this.  

Not to mention, trespassing warrants (or citations) are issued by the police, so she'd have to sue the police not Walmart.

- rem
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:09:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:09:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Say Hey for Wally World............
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:09:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Tag for when I am sober.

Stop post-whoring.

What's a fair price for WWB .223 - so I can tell her what to charge when she owns the place?

'bout tree dolla and fiddy cent
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:09:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Yeah right like you expect us to believe she will hire a high-profile attorney and sue Walmart into bankruptcy...That alone is IMPOSSIBLE. Not to mention even getting into court over something is idiotic as this.  You are smoking crack (or maybe should be).

- rem

Whoever pissed in your Cheerios swiped your manners while you were savoring the taste.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:10:38 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yeah right like you expect us to believe she will hire a high-profile attorney and sue Walmart into bankruptcy...That alone is IMPOSSIBLE. Not to mention even getting into court over something is idiotic as this.  You are smoking crack (or maybe should be).

- rem

Whoever pissed in your Cheerios swiped your manners while you were savoring the taste.

Now THAT was JUST DAMN FUNNY...LOL

SG
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:11:09 PM EDT
[#10]
tag
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:11:10 PM EDT
[#11]

ETA: World Domination....all blown over a false imprisonment case....
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:11:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Why did she go to Wal-Mart knowing she will be asked to show her receipt when she walks out and then not show her receipt?  What, she thought she was special?  Don't know the whole story but she sounds dense to me.

BTW. Don't be dumb, she ain't gettin a red cent from Wally World.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:12:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:14:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:14:50 PM EDT
[#15]
I just flash the .45 stashed under my belt and they shut the fuck up?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:15:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:15:30 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Why did she go to Wal-Mart knowing she will be asked to show her receipt when she walks out and then not show her receipt?  What, she thought she was special?  Don't know the whole story but she sounds dense to me.

Wanna place a small wager?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:17:49 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Yeah right like you expect us to believe she will hire a high-profile attorney and sue Walmart into bankruptcy...That alone is IMPOSSIBLE. Not to mention even getting into court over something is idiotic as this.  

er, I'm pretty damn sure FLAL1A is an attorney.

Don't think he'll have a problem gettign it into court if he wants.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:18:08 PM EDT
[#19]
I did it the other day at a Wal-mart here in FL, walked right past pushing my buggy while the old lady started stuttering to see my receipt. Does that mean I'm a fugitive now
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:20:22 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wanna place a small wager?

Im betting with pc on this one...
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:20:59 PM EDT
[#21]
I haven't been asked for a receipt in a long time.  I guess the last time was when I bought some DVD's (as well as got some DVD box sets out of layaway) and the alarm went off.  Old woman came over and yelled at me to stop.  She checked the DVD's I had just bought, but not the ones I got out of layaway.

I think it was the one's I had gotten out of layaway that still had active tags.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:21:22 PM EDT
[#22]
The traspasing cite will allow Wal-Mart to deny her entry in the future. Not saying that it is right for  Wal mart to do this to her but it is private property --thier house thier rules. Same thing My BIL does at the nightclub he works at --when they kick someone out they routinely file/write/issue a tresspass citation allowing them to deny that person entry (with threat of arrest if they persist on trying to gain entry) usually carries no immeadeate penalty or fine --but acts as a warning letting the individual know that they are no longer welcome at that establishment and that legal repecussions may result if they return.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:22:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Not enough information
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:26:32 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

New signature line.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:26:49 PM EDT
[#25]

I've never been asked to show a receipt when leaving Wally World.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:28:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Certainly she can be banned from Wal-Mart in the future.

Just got a call back from my son. She was detained, but isn't sure whether it was an actual cop or a rent-a-cop with a uniform mimicking the local constabulary. I'm guessing the latter, since he detained her, walked away with her ID, and returned saying that the manager didn't want to press trespassing charges. I'll talk to her tomorrow and get the details.

I am glad I made the post, though. It's good to know what time of day the poo-flinging wannabe lawyers are out on the internet.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:29:37 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

- rem

Well now, I'm just gonna HAVE to borrow that one from time to time!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:30:01 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I remember reading a story of an attorney in Florida who defended a guy caught in his car with a 15 year-old teenage girl with her panties down around her ankles.  The guy was found not guilty of any wrongdoing by the jury.  The girl had a pattern of similar behavior.

Now if FLAL1A could find an attorney like that for his daughter-in-law I wouldn't doubt he could get a big $$$'out from Wally World.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:38:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Unlawful imprisonment is a possibility, assuming the guy is a rent-a-whack.

Did she cause a "scene" by chance? Might complicate matters....

Tag 2 C how dis one plays out.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:03:27 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Unlawful imprisonment is a possibility, assuming the guy is a rent-a-whack.

Did she cause a "scene" by chance? Might complicate matters....

Tag 2 C how dis one plays out.

My son called me & I sent word to cooperate fully and be polite, based on the info that it was a policeman. I'd be surprised if she made a scene in any event. She's rather demure.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:18:52 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

They try it with me at least half the time I go there. It gets real old, real fast.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:28:32 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

me neither but why do you people shop at  walmart anyway?
When i was in a bigger town I never did
unfortanely thats all that is in this town Im in now
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:33:13 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

She may not but I would seek charges of false imprisonment against whoever kept her from leaving.
Trespassing is failure to leave after being asked to do so by someone in a position of authority.
Trespassing does not fit.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:35:27 PM EDT
[#34]
tag...my first
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:35:37 PM EDT
[#35]
I always walk past when they ask me to show the sales slip at any store thats not a 'club' where you have to pay a membership. Fry's Electronics is my favorite. I call it the "final indignity" Where you have to prove to the door monkey that you paid for for the goods that the checkout monkey just put in the bag.

I have never been stopped, I just keep walking. It may be silly, but it seems to me that they assume you stole something and that rubs me the wrong way.

Sir! I need to see your..

Sir!!

Si-

I agree with the other posts in the thread- you will be wasting your time going after Wally World. I would have a lawyer check the validity of that citation in this instance. I see nothing posted at WalMart that requires that they look through your bags before you leave. I will bet you can get the ticket dismissed.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:38:41 PM EDT
[#36]
IBTWDYHTBSAAJLTLOLDHJ  crowd appears.

(In before the why do you have to be such an ass just let the little old lady do her job) crowd appears.

Popcorn-check
Soda-check
40 pages
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:47:56 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

me neither but why do you people shop at  walmart anyway?
When i was in a bigger town I never did
unfortanely thats all that is in this town Im in now

Exactly.
Unless I want to travel +60mi to have a hassle free shopping experience.

And you know what? ...They are going to put up another Wal-Mart within 25mi of the one already in existence. Yay.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:50:12 PM EDT
[#38]
This from the guy who defended the actions of a pharmacist who attempted to steal a woman's birth-control prescription (because the pharmacist was "morally opposed" to birth control), and who thinks it's ok for cops to beat the shit out of girls rollerskating down the road.

Justice is served.  Enjoy eating the pile of hot, steaming shit, FLAL1A.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:51:45 PM EDT
[#39]
tag
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:57:05 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
This from the guy who defended the actions of a pharmacist who attempted to steal a woman's birth-control prescription (because the pharmacist was "morally opposed" to birth control), and who thinks it's ok for cops to beat the shit out of girls rollerskating down the road.

I think you may be mistaken. FLAL1A = resident Arfcom cop-hater.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:11:35 PM EDT
[#41]
They wouldn't have stopped her if she wasn't guilty of something or acting suspicious.  
Did she steal something the last time she was there?  Was she stalking anyone?
No offense, just asking.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:20:14 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
They wouldn't have stopped her if she wasn't guilty of something or acting suspicious.  
Did she steal something the last time she was there?  Was she stalking anyone?
No offense, just asking.

You're wrong.  Many establishments have reciept checkers at the door, verifiying purchases.  

Your legal obligation to that establishment ended at the register; you paid for your goods and they are now yours.  The store has no legal right to detain you if you decide not to show your reciept.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:25:03 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
My daughter-in-law is being detained and issued a trespassing citation for refusing to show her receipt at Wal-Mart. That's right - trespassing, for attempting to leave without delay. What's a fair price for WWB .223 - so I can tell her what to charge when she owns the place?

Beautiful!

You are an attorney, yes?  Here it is, on a silver platter.  Have fun with it.

I am so eager to see a pissing contest emerge from this incident that I would be willing to pitch in some cash for any costs you might incur.  

I'll be right back, I've gotta put some popcorn on the stove.....
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:26:29 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

You're mistaken. The action I defended with respect to the pharmacist was his declining to fill the prescription, not any attempt to steal it. As regards the cop and the rollergirl, my position has been very simple: there is insufficient evidence to conclude that the cop did anything wrong, and condemning the cop based only on the fact that the other party is a girl and she was bleeding is strong evidence of mental deficiency.

But hey, thanks for thinking of me.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:26:46 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Uh, I think you missed the point.  A trespassing citation is utter bullshit, regardless of what happened with the receipt.  The two are about as relevant as the price of uranium is to the location in my yard where my dog shits.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:33:38 PM EDT
[#46]
If she went through the "self-checkout" then she is required to show a receipt if asked.  It's posted in small letters somewhere around the "self-checkout" line. Read something along the lines of "you agree...etc".  Read it one time while waiting to checkout.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:38:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Tag. I wanna see where this one goes.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:18:24 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're mistaken. The action I defended with respect to the pharmacist was his declining to fill the prescription, not any attempt to steal it. As regards the cop and the rollergirl, my position has been very simple: there is insufficient evidence to conclude that the cop did anything wrong, and condemning the cop based only on the fact that the other party is a girl and she was bleeding is strong evidence of mental deficiency.

Which is no doubt why you suddenly disappeared from the thread after I pointed out that he had not merely refused to fill the woman's prescription, but had also taken away her scrip and refused to give it back to her when she attempted to leave to get it filled elsewhere.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:22:52 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Which is no doubt why you suddenly disappeared from the thread after I pointed out that he had not merely refused to fill the woman's prescription, but had also taken away her scrip and refused to give it back to her when she attempted to leave to get it filled elsewhere.

This is obviously a challenge for you, but try to grasp the subtle distinction between (a) refusing to act and (b) stealing someone else's property. It is possible to approve of (a) while condemning (b). On another note, you may want to request a transfer to a ward with yard privileges or an occupational therapy program so you'll have something to do besides obsess over months-old internet discussions.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:31:05 PM EDT
[#50]
tag. this could get good.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top