Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/13/2004 11:19:15 PM EST
For the past couple of nights the fucker keeps fighting with my cat and I can never get him to leave, I am about to bayonette this fucking possum
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:21:15 PM EST

Originally Posted By repub18:
For the past couple of nights the fucker keeps fighting with my cat and I can never get him to leave, I am about to bayonette this fucking possum

Despite that the bayonet lug recently became legal to have on your rifle again, I think some Super Colibri is in order.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:21:34 PM EST
Get more cats, they can outnumber him and take him down.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:21:45 PM EST
sponge soaked with bacon grease keep cat in the house till the sponge is gone
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:22:18 PM EST
Post pics after you do so. Be careful though, it might be a trap ...
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:22:30 PM EST
Make a trashcan trap, then bayonet him and post pics
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:24:36 PM EST
I cant shoot him, I have neighbors 50 feet away and dont feel like pissng them off, and I dont reall want to stab him because of the little kids around
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:25:27 PM EST
Pick it up by the tail and throw that overgrown rat as far as you can.

Oh heck, I just realized that you're in Arkansas. Why don't ya'll just make some possum stew or pie or something?
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:26:45 PM EST
I wont touch that damn ugly looking creature and the sad thing is my dog likes the thing and wont attack it
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:27:47 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:29:02 PM EST

I cant shoot him, I have neighbors 50 feet away and dont feel like pissng them off, and I dont reall want to stab him because of the little kids around

The solution to all suburban varmint/pest problems.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:29:39 PM EST

Originally Posted By operatorerror:

I don't think so. They seem pretty mellow, but if you've ever cornered one, grabbing it by the tail will be the furthest thing from your mind.

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:30:46 PM EST

Originally Posted By yellow5:

The solution to all suburban varmint/pest problems.

Ding ding ding I will be right back
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:31:43 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:32:32 PM EST

Originally Posted By Hoppy:

Originally Posted By operatorerror:

I don't think so. They seem pretty mellow, but if you've ever cornered one, grabbing it by the tail will be the furthest thing from your mind.

Hmmmm. Maybe the ones that I handled were diseased or something. Possum zombies? Just kinda' got pissed. Very slow.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:35:11 PM EST
allright im back that fucking rat took 3 shots with my pelletgun before it even budged and then it just walked off.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:41:26 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:42:49 PM EST

allright im back that fucking rat took 3 shots with my pelletgun before it even budged and then it just walked off.

If all three penetrated I doubt he'll be back anytime soon. We've all seen whitetail that just stand there going WTF then darting off after getting shot.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:44:13 PM EST

Originally Posted By Lightning_P38:
You don't bow hunt do you?

no, if he come back again I will just have to get the baseball bat out
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:47:32 PM EST
IT'S A TRAP!
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:14:21 AM EST
What a sponge gonna do?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:18:14 AM EST
55gr Hornady with ballistic tip
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:18:37 AM EST

You never know when you'll need a bat....

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:29:15 AM EST
I took one out with a good compound bow.
It kept waking me up and I went out on the back porch and put a good heavy arrow in its eye.
It bent the hell out of a good arrow, but it was well worth it.
The bonus, bows are sooooooooooo quiet.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:49:31 AM EST
12ga 00 buck does wonders for animal control especially at 5 feet damn possum went flying of the rail of my back porch landing 8 or ft from where it was at.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:58:33 AM EST
Our cat and this possum at our house have become "friends". I wake up every morning and the damn things are playing together.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:59:58 AM EST

Originally Posted By badeffect10:
Our cat and this possum at our house have become "friends". I wake up every morning and the damn things are playing together.

I'd like to see a picture of that!!!
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:26:49 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/14/2004 1:27:48 AM EST by cyanide]
This bird use to piss me off, now it doesn't any more.

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:33:02 AM EST

Originally Posted By twonami:

I'd like to see a picture of that!!!

I'll see if I can get one. You would think the damn thing would at least be afraid of me but it isn't. I'll go out there on the back porch and they both will just look at me with that "can I help you" look.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:45:30 AM EST

Them things get big be carefull it doesn't take the bayonette away from you an make you the stickee I've seen by the other posts that there playing with thier pets need to watch out since they have and get all sorts diseases that can be passed on (rabies? and other), try putting some moth balls in one of the wifes old cut up pair of panty hose and hang around the trash cans or where its hanging around at, it will find a new hang out after a couple of nights.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:46:50 AM EST
Tannerite.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:51:27 AM EST
Any good recipes for possum smoked, stew-chili or other
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:54:00 AM EST
Take your possum cleaned and dressed, and they are kinda tough, so you will need to marinade him for a couple of hours. I like to use an alchohol base marinade. I take a fifth of Dickel, a fifth of Wild Turkey, and a fifth of Jack Daniels. I lightly toss the possum out the back door and drink the marinade one bottle at a time.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:14:32 AM EST
George Jones is fighting with your cat?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:24:34 AM EST

Originally Posted By Siglite:
Take your possum cleaned and dressed, and they are kinda tough, so you will need to marinade him for a couple of hours. I like to use an alchohol base marinade. I take a fifth of Dickel, a fifth of Wild Turkey, and a fifth of Jack Daniels. I lightly toss the possum out the back door and drink the marinade one bottle at a time.

The possibilities are endless
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:28:02 AM EST
Look, all you have to do is corner the thing and wack him a few times with a broom. He will ball up and play dead. Then you can scoop him up in a sack and take him for a ride.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:31:47 AM EST

I mashed one to bits in my aunt's driveway when I was 16 with an old aluminum bat.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:34:13 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:35:13 AM EST
Since you can't shoot it, shovels work wonders on a possum. A length of 1/2" dia rebar works pretty well too.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:35:22 AM EST

Originally Posted By Siglite:

LMFAO!
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:39:54 AM EST
???????????????????

What the?

Chris

Originally Posted By furball75:

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:44:21 AM EST
what kind of pellets are you using and what kind of gun? I think youre using spitballs or something. My Beeman R9 will knock that sucker for a loop.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:47:10 AM EST
The pellet gun idea was good, but, I suspect you got one of those pump kind. Here's the answer. They have pellet guns that are powered by a really big spring. They're break-barrel types that are incredibly powerful for a pellet gun, how does 1000 fps sound?. I got my winchester (made by daisy but licensed by winchester) at sports authority for $80. Use a gamo magnum pellet (yellow tin) and pop him right in the head. No more possum. I've never hit something that big with it but a buddy took one out this way. I usually go for squirrels at 30+ yards with a match pellet. 1 shot kills every time. Hope that helps. MJD
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:48:08 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/14/2004 7:49:28 AM EST by scrum]
One long handled "assault" shovel. Works every time, and keeps you from getting rabies shots.

Alternate useful tools are the long handled garden hoe or long breaker bar.

Slingshot (wrist rocket type) with heavy ball bearings work quite well too and only cost about $10-$15 for the sling and enough shot to handle possum reinforcements too.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:51:31 AM EST
Can of hairspray and a Zippo.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:29:38 AM EST
My dog(a Scotty) cornered on in my backyard about a month ago. I herd the comotion and went out to investigate, the oppossum was laying on its side with its tounge hanging out, looking otherwise fine. It was laying there breathing normally trying to convine me it was dead, that was some funny shit. Have always herd about playing oppossum but that was the first time I saw it from the source. My Scotty thought she was king shit for rubbing out a oppossum.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:44:30 AM EST

Originally Posted By scrum:
One long handled "assault" shovel. Works every time, and keeps you from getting rabies shots.

Alternate useful tools are the long handled garden hoe or long breaker bar.

Slingshot (wrist rocket type) with heavy ball bearings work quite well too and only cost about $10-$15 for the sling and enough shot to handle possum reinforcements too.

Actually, possums are good to have around for rodent control and trash clean-up. They are also North America's only marsupial.

And here's some info from www.opossumsocietyus.org/frequently_asked_questions.htm

Question: There is an opossum in my house or garage. What do I do?

Answer: First contact your local animal shelter to determine if an officer will assist you. Always make sure the opossum will not be trapped and killed!

An opossum can safely be trapped by leaning an empty, tall kitchen trash can at approximately a 30-45º angle against something the opossum can climb onto such as a stack of books. Place cat food or ripe fruit at the bottom of the trash can. The opossum will be able to climb into the trash can but will be unable to climb or jump out. Immediately take the trash can outside. Tip the can on its side and the opossum will leave when it feels it is safe to do so. This is best done at dusk. If it has to be done during the day then tip the opening towards a dense shrub where the opossum can hide until nightfall.

You can also try to leave a trail of pet food leading to an open door. Observe quietly at a distance. Once it leaves, shut the door. Do not try to push the opossum with a broom. The frightened animal will freeze and not move.

Question: How do I keep the opossums out of my home and garage?

Answer: Close all doors, pet doors and unscreened windows from dusk to dawn. Put food away so that the opossum will not be tempted to enter.

Question: Do opossums carry rabies?

Answer: Any mammal can get rabies. However, the chance of rabies in an opossum is EXTREMELY RARE. This may have something to do with the opossum’s low body temperature (94-97º F) making it difficult for the virus to survive in an opossum’s body.

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:50:47 AM EST

Originally Posted By virginia22:
???????????????????
What the?
Chris

It'll stop him up like a cork. Sponge + opossum=Dead critter
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:04:33 AM EST
I wasn't sure if it worked like the seagull and alka seltzer or not. LOL

thanks for the clarification. ( kind of painful way to go. )
Wonder if they pop an anyurism from squeezin so hard.

Chris

Originally Posted By Tanker06:

Originally Posted By virginia22:
???????????????????
What the?
Chris

It'll stop him up like a cork. Sponge + opossum=Dead critter

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:29:52 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/14/2004 10:34:25 AM EST by rockymass]

Originally Posted By CS223:
Look, all you have to do is corner the thing and wack him a few times with a broom. He will ball up and play dead. Then you can scoop him up in a sack and take him for a ride.

Bingo. Scare him into playing possum. The ferocious hissing act is a bluff, just keep wacking, when the bluff doesn't work he'll go limp. The rest is easy.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:40:50 AM EST

Same here... a stray cat and a possum have become such good "friends" that they live together under my back porch. They're always together. Never seen anything like that before.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top