GR
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:29:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You are an ass.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:31:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Fuck em.

We will learn from this disaster and make new plants better.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:32:07 AM EDT
[#6]
The talking heads on Fox said the sailors have been exposed to about one month's sunshine. It was also washed off with soap and water.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:33:34 AM EDT
[#7]
IAEA just said "containment breach" at fukashima. Just sayin

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:33:47 AM EDT
[#8]
I agree with the OP.  I have not seen any reports of deaths/hospitalization tied to radiation issues.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:35:07 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

You are an ass.

I guess I may as well quote the most clueless comment of the day too.  

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:35:34 AM EDT
[#10]
yet
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:36:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You are an ass.

He is being realistic.

You are being emotional. Like a little girl.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:36:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:36:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Fuck em.

We will learn from this disaster and make new plants better.

We won't.  Someone will.

Plants in US are unlikely in light of the continuing hysteria.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:37:53 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I agree with the OP.  I have not seen any reports of deaths/hospitalization tied to radiation issues.

One of the local stations is reporting that you have a greater risk of radiation exposure by getting on a plane or getting dental x-rays.  This is for radiation drifting over the Pacific.  Kudos to them for reporting the truth for a change.

If you are tired of the hyperbole and MSM driven propaganda try the BBC.  

Their reporting of the disaster seems to be more even-handed.

If I was over there I would be scared shitless.  The scale of what happened is beyond my ability to comprehend.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:38:33 AM EDT
[#15]
And that is why I don't watch alot of news, really bad Journalism,
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:39:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
IAEA just said "containment breach" at fukashima. Just sayin

Yep.  Their nuclear trouble is not understated.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:39:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:39:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Pretty much sums up the MSM:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46bBWBG9r2o
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:39:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You are an ass.

Aside from being rude as hell, you named yourself after a doggie side car?

Could you do the rest of Texas a favor and hide your location?  You make us look bad.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:41:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
You are an ass.

Could you do the rest of Texas a favor and hide your location?  You make us look bad.

I am betting Austin...
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:42:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You are an ass.

Well, everyone else is too nice, so I will.

Who the fuck are you?

You don't see the insane scaremongering going on instead of just factual reporting?

You are a sheep.

TXL

(And, ftr, anyone who lets me piss in their camper, and doesn't kick my drunk ass for it, is OK in  my book  )

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:42:23 AM EDT
[#22]
And you believe this tripe the MSM is selling?

When it is all "known"  the earth quake /Wave will have killed 30,000

The radiation will shorten the lives of 100,000 Japanese, and outright kill 1,000 first responders.

It will affect America as a trade partner. It ain't our disaster other than watching the stimulus money we spent with their company's vanish.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:42:25 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

You are an ass.

I think you beat Zhukov in the asshat department sir

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:43:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
You are an ass.

I agree.  Like me, Zhukov is an ass.

But not about this.

Et Tu, Brute?

On the ides of march.... Well played...

Oh and I agree with the 1st response

Just not for the reason he said
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:43:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Even if there were to be a full meltdown with some containment breach, something tells me the end result in terms of environmental damage would still be a fraction of what 40 years of a coal burning plant would have produced.

I think a lot of the problem is the crisis of confidence in experts.  For years, nuclear power experts have been telling us that problems like what is happening now are simply  not possible.  Now, though, we are hearing, "well, this is different."  

Credibility, once lost, is hard to regain.  The anti-nuke folks are working overtime trying to exploit this.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:44:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:44:36 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

You are an ass.

And right on the money, which makes you the ass.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:44:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:45:46 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Even if there were to be a full meltdown with some containment breach, something tells me the end result in terms of environmental damage would still be a fraction of what 40 years of a coal burning plant would have produced.

I think a lot of the problem is the crisis of confidence in experts.  For years, nuclear power experts have been telling us that problems like what is happening now are simply  not possible.  Now, though, we are hearing, "well, this is different."  

Credibility, once lost, is hard to regain.  The anti-nuke folks are working overtime trying to exploit this.

+100

There are more anti-nuke Baby-Boomer Progressive throw backs on this board that I had ever thought.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:46:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Watching FOX news this morning before I left for work, and they threw up a graphic that left me speechless. It said something along the lines of this:

* 23 people exposed to radiation
* US soldiers helping with cleanup effort
* 10,000 people dead or missing.

HOLY CRAP PEOPLE! 23 people have been exposed to radiation! Of course, there's no mention of what the level of that radiation was. Dental X-ray? Deadly dose? Somewhere in between? There is absolutely no frame of reference when it comes to discussing NUCLEAR issues. People's brains simply shut down. People are so irrational that the worst-case scenario in Japan might as well have occurred - it won't make any difference, just like 3-Mile Island. It could very well be that the worst thing that actually ends up happening is that a few people got irradiated to a small degree and the reactor ends up contained and safe, yet this is a seminal event that will be talked about for decades in TEOTWAKI terms. Forget about building any new reactors - PEOPLE HAVE BEEN EXPOSED TO RADIATION! ZOMG!  http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=14615&prev=1

Oh yeah - 10,000 people are dead and missing too, in case anyone is wondering...

Zhukov, you da man.
I work in the nuclear field and every relative, friend and acquantence I have has called, emailed, texted and visited me to ask me if the news was true.
I say its not even close.
them "But how can they say it's so on the NEWS?"
me "They lie because they have a liberal agenda"
them
I sure hope someone is held accountable for the hysteria this is causing
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:46:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:47:27 AM EDT
[#32]
They worry more about the radiation than the people missing and maybe trapped and hurt still
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:48:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Oh my
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:48:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You are an ass.

I am betting Austin...

I'm betting a refugee from one of the more "enlightened" states myself.  Probably still has out of state plates on his bike.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:49:33 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

The talking heads on Fox said the sailors have been exposed to about one month's sunshine.

It was also washed off with soap and water.

Dayum! Pass that shit around, lol
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:50:47 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are an ass.

I am betting Austin...

I'm betting a refugee from one of the more "enlightened" states myself.  Probably still has out of state plates on his bike.

And you know what is even more aggravating? He replaced some home grown Lib Texan that moved out west.... we are seeing a nasty influx of Liberal Texans out here... the fuck...

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:51:49 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are an ass.

Who the fuck are you?

You don't see the insane scaremongering going on instead of just factual reporting?

You are a sheep.

TXL

(And, ftr, anyone who lets me piss in their camper, and doesn't kick my drunk ass for it, is OK in  my book  )

Oh you crazy Texans and your shenanigans.

FWIW, I've got a buddy on here that didn't kick my ass either after I passed out on his couch, drunk with skoal in my mouth, and spit tobacco juice on the white carpet of his apartment while sleeping.  BUT this did occur in Dallas, so it's kind of keeping with the theme.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:53:25 AM EDT
[#38]
Snip

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:53:49 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are an ass.

Who the fuck are you?

You are a sheep.

TXL

There HAS to be a good backstory to this......................................

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:53:59 AM EDT
[#40]
Based on what I can tell the problem rests not with the reactor core or containment vessel, but to the spent  rods in the storage pool that may/may not have caught fire due to a drop in water.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:54:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:
The talking heads on Fox said the sailors have been exposed to about one month's sunshine.
It was also washed off with soap and water.

Dayum! Pass that shit around, lol

If it was Marines let's face it, the soap stung more than the radiation.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:54:38 AM EDT
[#42]
One of the nukes plants I was in up in Canada would use red duct tape to lift particles IF any was detected at the monitoring stations.  I was suprised by this and mentioned it to my host.  He said, "if a toaster in the lunchroom caught fire at the plant, it would be a bigger story".

I'm not downplaying the event in Japan but Zhukov has a point.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:54:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:56:33 AM EDT
[#44]
And while all the hand wringing goes on in Japan, Quadaffi is pounding the shit out of the rebels in Libya and taking back the country. No one notices, no one cares.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:56:42 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
You are an ass.

Un-called-for.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:57:24 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
High speed rail has killed more people than nuclear power.

I am getting that printed on a bumper sticker.

Doctors have killed more people through medical malpractice than nuclear power.  Maybe we should ban doctors.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:58:01 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
High speed rail has killed more people than nuclear power.

I am getting that printed on a bumper sticker.

I like it.  Very succinct, and effective.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:58:45 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Watching FOX news this morning before I left for work, and they threw up a graphic that left me speechless. It said something along the lines of this:

* 23 people exposed to radiation
* US soldiers helping with cleanup effort
* 10,000 people dead or missing.

HOLY CRAP PEOPLE! 23 people have been exposed to radiation! Of course, there's no mention of what the level of that radiation was. Dental X-ray? Deadly dose? Somewhere in between? There is absolutely no frame of reference when it comes to discussing NUCLEAR issues. People's brains simply shut down. People are so irrational that the worst-case scenario in Japan might as well have occurred - it won't make any difference, just like 3-Mile Island. It could very well be that the worst thing that actually ends up happening is that a few people got irradiated to a small degree and the reactor ends up contained and safe, yet this is a seminal event that will be talked about for decades in TEOTWAKI terms. Forget about building any new reactors - PEOPLE HAVE BEEN EXPOSED TO RADIATION! ZOMG!  http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=14615&prev=1

Oh yeah - 10,000 people are dead and missing too, in case anyone is wondering...

Zhukov, you da man.
I work in the nuclear field and every relative, friend and acquantence I have has called, emailed, texted and visited me to ask me if the news was true.
I say its not even close.
them "But how can they say it's so on the NEWS?"
me "They lie because they have a liberal agenda"
them
I sure hope someone is held accountable for the hysteria this is causing

yeah well when someone flying by in a helicopter or on a ship at see is getting radiation, YES IT IS A BIG DAMN DEAL, ESP SINCE THEY CAN'T SEEM TO CONTROL IT

By the way the used fuel containment pool caught on fire, containment is breached, most likely the fuel door has been blown off. and a 19 mile no fly zone.  

This has a potential to kill a lot of people, or at the least short lives... globally. If they do not get this under control I support nuclear power, we don't know what went down yet.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:00:00 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Based on what I can tell the problem rests not with the reactor core or containment vessel, but to the spent  rods in the storage pool that may/may not have caught fire due to a drop in water.

I was reading that these rods were not Carbon Rods (like Chernobyl), thus not able to catch fire? They would merge into a solid mass and likely collect in the Sump at the bottom of the containment chamber just like at Three Mile Island. The reactor designs are almost identical AFAIK. Assuming the containment holds, the cleanup crew will find a solid mass at the bottom of the chamber to recover. As long as nothing catches fire and then another Hydrogen blowout occurs, everything is going to be relatively ok.

If they do catch fire and another Hydrogen blowout occurs, then all that radioactive material will become nasty airborne fallout like Chernobyl.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:01:19 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
You are an ass.

Who the fuck are you?

You are a sheep.

TXL

Nicely done.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top