Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/2/2002 10:01:20 AM EDT
I wish I was the Gov. official responsible for this bill. The first year I would send dollar bills, then work through all other denominations until I hit the penny. My car payment costs more than leasing 45-square-miles of Cuba.

***Excerpt

The U.S. military announced late last year that the 45-square-mile base on the southeastern tip of Cuba, the oldest U.S. overseas outpost, was the destination for Taliban and al-Qaida prisoners.

The United States leased the land for the base from Cuba in 1903 for 2,000 gold coins a year, now valued at $4,085. Washington pays that amount every year, but Fidel Castro's government refuses to cash the checks.

Full Article: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,71876,00.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top