Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/23/2004 11:11:01 AM EST
All the fucking time in the news you hear shit about identity theft being a huge problem and ways to stop it, but have they ever figured out maybe WHY it has become so easy?

Didn't want to hijack fight4yourrights's pizza boy thread, but on the pizzza boy page he linked www.tipthepizzaguy.com/ it says

All pizza stores require a telephone number and either a driver's license number or a Social Security number somewhere on the check, preferably in the upper left corner above your name.

and one time at Old Navy, my sister was looking at some savings card application and the thing asked for her SS number. With all this information floating around is it really such a shock that someone can steal your identity? Anyways, why the fuck would Old Navy or some pizza boy need your SS#?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:15:30 AM EST
I agree it's a good idea to guard your personal infor. But if you drive a car with a license plate, anyone can get the same info. If anyone knows your name or phone number they can get the same info. It's up to the credit issuers to use quality security protocals, which few do.
With that said, no pizza guy get's my SSN. But I don't order pizza much at all...
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:23:19 AM EST
ALWAYS make up a fake SS number. They don't check. And it is none of their business. And if they do check SS, who are they checking it with, and why are THEY giving out information on you?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:30:57 AM EST
By law, the only true, legal use of your social security number is for an employer's use.

I think this has been challenged and held up in court, but I will leave it to the legal beagles to cite case law.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:37:29 AM EST

Come on, now what dumb ass would give out a SSN for a freaking pizza? All any take out place around here ever asks for is a phone #
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:39:50 AM EST
I went in to get a haircut the other day and they wanted my name, address and phone number. I said no. The idiot stared at me and said, well we can't cut your hair without it. I said, am I buying a gun or getting my hair cut?

Luckily one of the others with some sense popped up and told her to stfu and use the shop's phone number. She said, can I have your first name? I said, yeah...Dick.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:43:26 AM EST

Originally Posted By QuietShootr:
I went in to get a haircut the other day and they wanted my name, address and phone number. I said no. The idiot stared at me and said, well we can't cut your hair without it. I said, am I buying a gun or getting my hair cut?

Luckily one of the others with some sense popped up and told her to stfu and use the shop's phone number. She said, can I have your first name? I said, yeah...Dick.

So how do you like your haircut?

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:46:02 AM EST
Check your DL#, sometimes the DMV uses your SS# for that number. if it is you can request it can be changed.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:56:41 AM EST
I have seen checks with both husband and wife's driver's license #s and social security numbers on them. People are truly clueless when it comes to this stuff. I worked in credit a few years back and I could pull a credit report based just on your name and city. Then again, if you're John Smith and live in NYC, you're pretty safe from something like that, but if your name was Kranbrog Ackbar and lived in Podunkia, IL (pop 1300), I could get the right one.

I hate giving advice for free because people don't heed free advice, but they do whatever I suggest as long as I'm billing them $125/hour, but here's my free advice anyway:

1. If your state allows it, get a new drivers license without your SSN printed on it

2. Never give anyone a complete picture of your financial situation, except maybe for a qualified and trustworthy financial planner or estate planning attorney. This means not having all your accounts, loans, safe deposit box, etc, at the same bank

3. Buy a shredder. If you don't buy a shredder, you deserve to get ripped off. Do not get a strip cut shredder, buy a crosscut one. They are as cheap as $50 or so. Before throwing anything away in the trash, look at it and think if you would mind if a criminal got his hands on it. If so, shred it. Never just throw away old checking statements, credit card statements, credit reports, old checks, notices from credit card companies including those cash advance checks, etc - shred them. I shred anything that has my name, address or any identifying info on it. Then again, I like to shred stuff, so I often shred things for fun too. It's therapy!

4. Never give out your social security number unless absolutely necessary. If asked, question the requester about why it's needed and what they plan to do with it. See if it really is required or not. If not required, do not provide. See if they'll accept something else instead.

5. Have the minimum required info on your checks. Some states allow you to have just your name, others require an address. Mine just show my name and a PO Box for the address. Try not to write checks anyway, you annoy us who pay with cash at the store and you slow things down.

6. Pull your credit report once or twice a year. Make sure everything on it is right, if not get it fixed.

7. Never carry your social security card in your wallet.

8. Embrace the lie. It's not wrong to lie to people about things that are none of their business. Pizza guy wants your ss#? Sure, it's 078-05-1120! This is the number printed on those sample SS cards stuck in wallets sold by department stores many years ago. Your date of birth? Feb 31st. (It was one of those double leap years that only come around once every 200 years, don't ya know?)

Identity theft will not be taken seriously by the police and will not be aggressively prosecuted, it's up to you to stop it. Once someone gets ahold of your info, you're screwed. It's best to keep your personal information as close to the vest as possible.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 12:14:26 PM EST

Originally Posted By Waldo:

Come on, now what dumb ass would give out a SSN for a freaking pizza? All any take out place around here ever asks for is a phone #

They ask for a name and/or phone number here. Half the time I don't even give them my real number. One place I don't give my correct name because when I do my order is screwed up .
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 12:34:46 PM EST
A valid SS number follows the pattern xxx-xx-xxxx. None of those three fields will ever be all zeros. If someone has no legal reason to require my SS#, but they still want it, sometimes instead of arguing with them I'll just make up a number and have the second field be two zeros. It's not a valid number, so there's no problems with accidentally using someone else's number.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 1:55:09 PM EST

Originally Posted By ar50troll:
I agree it's a good idea to guard your personal infor. But if you drive a car with a license plate, anyone can get the same info

Sure someone could get that information, but that would actually require some work. One video store I used to work at was a identity theifs wet dream. Anyone working there had access to SS#s, home addresses, credit cards info, DL#'s, all the info you would ever need, right there.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:23:04 PM EST

Originally Posted By Mmanwitgun:
All the fucking time in the news you hear shit about identity theft being a huge problem and ways to stop it, but have they ever figured out maybe WHY it has become so easy?

Didn't want to hijack fight4yourrights's pizza boy thread, but on the pizzza boy page he linked www.tipthepizzaguy.com/ it says

All pizza stores require a telephone number and either a driver's license number or a Social Security number somewhere on the check, preferably in the upper left corner above your name.

and one time at Old Navy, my sister was looking at some savings card application and the thing asked for her SS number. With all this information floating around is it really such a shock that someone can steal your identity? Anyways, why the fuck would Old Navy or some pizza boy need your SS#?

That's outright bullshit.
I've ordered pizza by telephone from three different chains in my area in the last year, and NEVER have I been asked for any personal identity information beyond my telephone number.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:29:39 PM EST

Originally Posted By rayra:

I've ordered pizza by telephone from three different chains in my area in the last year, and NEVER have I been asked for any personal identity information beyond my telephone number.

On the check, as in if you pay with a check.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:50:04 PM EST
thank you. I was about to do the same thing

On the check, as in if you pay with a check.

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 3:07:10 PM EST

Originally Posted By rayra:

So because it never happened to YOU, then it is BS?!?. WTF?

Bob
Top Top