Posted: 10/18/2004 6:13:14 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/18/2004 6:13:58 AM EST by lippo]
You never know what will happen...

www.lsj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20041018/NEWS01/410180326/1002

Park killings suspect flees into Delta Twp. Red Robin, shot by police
Waitress taken hostage, hurt in gunbattle

By Kevin Grasha
Lansing State Journal

DELTA TWP. - Two men suspected in the recent slayings of two cousins in Lansing's Walsh Park were arrested Sunday night after one of them took a hostage at a local restaurant before being gunned down by police.

The hostage, a waitress at Red Robin on West Saginaw Highway, was shot in the leg during the ordeal, but her injuries were not considered life-threatening, authorities said.

At about 7 p.m. Sunday, Michigan State Police, who had been tracking the suspects with assistance from Lansing and Lansing Township police, pulled over their vehicle between Red Robin and Carrabba's Italian Grill on West Saginaw Highway.

One of the suspects jumped out of the car armed with a gun and went into Red Robin, where several shots were fired, police said. The suspect then took a waitress hostage and went out the back of the restaurant, where police from several agencies confronted him.

During the ensuing gunbattle, the suspect was shot at least once in the chest, according to Eaton County Sheriff Rick Jones.

That suspect was in critical condition in a local hospital Sunday night.

The second suspect surrendered to police without incident, authorities said.

Two women who were in the vehicle with the suspects were detained for questioning.

The men were wanted for questioning in the slayings of Elizabeth "Betsy" Lowe, 24, and her cousin Brandy Lowe, 21. The women were found shot Oct. 10 in Walsh Park in Lansing.

Earlier Sunday, police announced they had found Betsy Lowe's 1999 Grand Am GT in an apartment complex parking lot in Lansing Township. Police had been looking for the vehicle in connection with the homicides for several days. It wasn't immediately clear if there was a connection between that discovery and the Sunday night shootings.

Just before the shooting started, Larry Henney of Lansing was parking his van to meet his wife and stepdaughter for dinner at the Red Robin when he heard sirens and screeching tires, and saw a man run into the restaurant with police chasing him.

Then he heard about six shots fired, he said.

Knowing his wife and stepdaughter were already inside, he had only one thought.

"I just said a quick prayer that they were safe and out of the way," he said.

Because police immediately sealed off the restaurant, Henney could only speak with his wife on her cell phone.

One image she relayed: The ketchup bottle on their table had been shattered by a bullet.

Contact Kevin Grasha at 267-1347 or kgrasha@lsj.com.

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:14:24 AM EST
I said it before. If you knew everything that happened in your neighborhood you would never leave your house.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:16:56 AM EST

Originally Posted By sgtar15:
I said it before. If you knew everything that happened in your neighborhood you would never leave your house.

SGatr15

The longer I live, the more I see how correct you are.

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:27:22 AM EST
3-4 years ago, before Ohio had CCW, there was an incident in a J.Alexander's restaurant in a fairly upscale part of town. An ex-boyfriend came into the restaurant while his ex-girlfriend and male friend were having dinner. He sits down at the table with the two of them and draws a .45, shoots her in the chest at point blank, and proceeds to chase the male friend around the restaurant shooting at him while patrons cowered under tables, etc...

Post-CCW, he'd be a dead motherfucker.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:32:54 AM EST
Wow. Yet again another reason to keep the CCW current...... And my skills.......
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:43:46 AM EST
Somebody would definitely DIE if they came between me and my Monster Burger!!
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:28:13 AM EST

Originally Posted By napalm:
Somebody would definitely DIE if they came between me and my Monster Burger!!

No, bro: it's all about that grubbin' "Sweet Onion County Fair Burger" or whatever it's called.

MmmmmmMMMMMMmmmmmm!

Incidents like this are why I don't leave home without the 1911.
Top Top