Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/30/2005 11:37:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/31/2005 8:34:43 AM EDT by RABIDFOX50]
I have been here since 2002. I've been an LEO for a bit longer. Never before have I seen so much hatred towards LEOs on this site than I do now. Most recent examples are the NO disaster threads. Ever thread had some sort of LEO bash in it and I have tried to attack every one in kind. As usual we are being demonized for a few bad apples who the media CLAIMS were looting in NO. I feel I am fighting a loosing battle on this site and this latest LEO bash have made me think this way. Weather it be in GD or TEAM, I think we are truely hated and it saddens me. I love this site and have gained alot of knowledge here. I've made lots of fiends and contacts. That said, I feel like ARFCOM is turning into a foil hat wearing anti gov., anti authority pit of hell. Am I wrong to think this or am I right? It seems so many here are quick to bash anything LEO. We are paid too much, we are lazy, we taser/beat people for no reason, will kill dogs, we are the minions of an evil gov., ect. ect. The mods seem to turn a blind eye to it all. I guess we are the minority here now.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:55:42 PM EDT
I used to get a bit upset, then I realized I care little about most people that spew hate and discontent. I used to argue, but found more entertaining threads to read as well. Love your sig by the way.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:04:39 AM EDT

Originally Posted By RABIDFOX50:
I have been here since 2002. I've been an LEO for a bit longer. Never before have I seen so much hatred towards LEOs on this site than I do now. Most recent examples are the NO disaster threads. Ever thread had some sort of LEO bash in it and I have tried to attack every one in kind. As usual we are being demonized for a few bad apples who the media CLAIMS were looting in NO. I feel I am fighting a loosing battle on this site and this latest LEO bash have made me think this way. Weather it be in GD or TEAM, I think we are truely hated and it saddens me. I love this site and have gained alot of knowledge here. I've made lots of fiends and contacts. That said, I feel like ARFCOM is turning into a foil hat wearing anti gov., anti authority pit of hell. Am I wrong to think this or am I right? It seems so many here are quick to bash anything LEO. We are paid too much, we are lazy, we taser/beat people for no reason, will kill dogs, we are the minions of an evil gov., ect. ect. The mods seem to turn a blind eye to it all. I guess we are the minority here now.

Who cares what people think? It's the internet, you'll never meet any of these people. Let them talk.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:16:15 AM EDT
I look at it as the ones who are complaining obviously have a problem with LEO's probably because they have been arrested before and hold a grudge towards us. I do my job proudly no matter what some may think !!!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:28:14 AM EDT
you (and all LEOs) have friends here. don't leave because of a couple of loudmouths
Midwinter
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:42:18 AM EDT

Originally Posted By midwinter:
you (and all LEOs) have friends here. don't leave because of a couple of loudmouths
Midwinter

I hear what you guys are saying and you are right about them already having issues with LE, ect. It is just furstrating to visit when I can and to read this crap. If I do stay here I will most likely stay out of GD. Bad place to be right now I guess. It's just pissing me off is all.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:43:54 AM EDT
<--------------Guess it should say "Nauseated by GD" I avoid it like the plague.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:45:15 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Quien:
<--------------Guess it should say "Nauseated by GD" I avoid it like the plague.

I was going to change mine to "Mst hated ARFCOM LEO" after tonight.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:10:53 AM EDT
As long as they keep it in GD and stay out of here, I don't really care what they say. I'm not going to argue with them. I'm not going to change the way they think any more than they are going to change the way I think.
More often than not, it is the same people over and over again who are doing the LEO bashing. Every now and then someone new will jump on the band wagon.
I don't know how many total members AR15.com has but I think the good people here out number the bad ones. There are alot of good people on this board with alot of knowledge to pass on and they do.
As far as the bashing goes, I just consider the source. These are the same people we have to deal with everyday. They are the same people that call us when they lock their keys in the car, get robbed , beatup, neighbor's barking dogs or need help for whatever. Who do they call? US.
It doesn't matter what we do they will always be there to cuss us , complain about us, bitch and moan about everything we do or don't do. We didn't get there fast enough, We didn't do enough, We did too much. They paint us all with the same brush so it doesn't matter.
I won't lose any sleep over the bashing here. Sometimes it can be quite amusing to see someone bitch over breaking a law and getting caught. How dare we give them a ticket for doing 10, 15, 20 MPH over the posted speed limit. even though they admitted doing it.
I don't feel that this bashing attitude is the majority here. I think that most of the other members just don't want to argue with them either. It wouldn't do any good to argue with them so why bother. Save yourself the heartburn.
That's all I have to say about that....Dave
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:02:44 AM EDT

As usual we are being demonized for a few bad apples who the media CLAIMS were looting in NO.

Are you saying that there were LEO's in N.O. that took part in and looted right along with all the folks of color I have seen in the newpapers and on the internet?

Sorry but I have not been aware of this and did not/have not heard of this happening.

That is very sad.

Mike
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:06:37 AM EDT

Originally Posted By mr_wilson:

As usual we are being demonized for a few bad apples who the media CLAIMS were looting in NO.

Are you saying that there were LEO's in N.O. that took part in and looted right along with all the folks of color I have seen in the newpapers and on the internet?

Sorry but I have not been aware of this and did not/have not heard of this happening.

That is very sad.

Mike

If the report is true, the asshats in GD are using it to bash LE. I pray it isnt but I am fighting to make a point that not all LEOs are like that and for these jerks to quite the LE bashing. To use an event so tragic as this to sound off against us is truely sad. Yet they are. I'm not the ebst with comebacks nor am I the best debater so I am trying to keep up the good fight.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:14:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/31/2005 2:15:45 AM EDT by mr_wilson]
I just found the thread you referred to above and IMO the LEO officers were not looting merely appropriating necessary medical supplies from a drug store......, something which could have been completely authorized under the circumstances.

IMO the asshat that posted it misconstrued the facts to fit his idea of what LEO officers are all about and I don't consider what they were doing looting in any way, (unless some of them end up under arrest).

Mike
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:38:40 AM EDT

I agree 100%
As a second generation they sometimes even bother me lol

I don't know where all that leo hatred comes from...I used to think it was just a running joke but lately it has gotten a lot worse here then 6 months ago.

I've come to find that behavior:
imature
ignorant
offensive

Y­ou can't stop the waves from hitting the beach
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:48:17 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:51:48 AM EDT

Originally Posted By cmjohnson:
It's always the few bad apples that give the rest a bad name.

Be assured, the people in general are glad you're there to do your job....as long as you're doing it right,
which requires you to respect the people, grant them their dignity, and apply a gentle touch whenever
it's possible rather than a hardball attitude toward all situations.

Face it, some cops have done a lot of stupid things. Like arresting a woman for nursing her baby! I mean, GET REAL!

And not every dog that approaches you is going to bite you. The wagging tail is a clue to its intentions.

If every cop applied common sense and gave the benefit of the doubt in every case where there was
the slightest bit of room for it, relations would be solid between you and the public rather than strained and mistrustful.

Honesty, integrity, common sense, respect for all, and decency. Apply those principles and you will NEVER go wrong.

I appreciate your service.

CJ

Thank dude. I lost the war of words on the other thread so your post made me feel better.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:12:34 AM EDT

You will find only a few that bash all cops, but many like myself who speak out when we see cops doing the wrong thing. If you think you would be among them doing what they have the issue with, then I can see your point, but I like to think that those cops who post here are the good majority, even if they do defend the bad apples.

Why do people care so much for percieved LE abuses or screw ups? Good question. Part of it is that they see LEO's as the front line in enforcing bad gun laws.When people see them doing other things wrong, they look and see officers who wouldn't hesitate to go after someone for a BS firearms charge. Just look at what happened in VA in the big thread where officers seemed to have no probelm doing "home checks" for peope who were buying guns at gun shows. The BATFE and some politicians may have masterminded it, but they had local LE do the checks..... stuff like that makes gun owners a little less trustworthy and a little more suspicious every time they see it, be it justified or not.

So what you see here is a natural backlash of sorts. Don't be so quick to discount those who speak up as criminals or people you have to deal with every day. That is just a way for you to dismiss a valid opinion by making false assumptions to discredit a person opinion, and quite frankly it does nothing but inulate you from the real world and real people if you catagorize people as either agreeing with everything you do or some sort of criminal.

I do jump in in some threads, but I don't bash all cops I criticize stupid ones and stupid decisions, policies, and acts. I am also a firefighter and a soldier, and I do the same for those when a topic about them doing something stupid comes up..... in fact I am harder on soldiers than most people on here are because I expect more from them, I call for disciplinary action when many here want to give them a pass on things.

If you choose to dismiss all people who are critical on here as bashers and criminals, you are just insulating yourself in a little bubble and doing yourself a disservice. If you look and listen and try to see where most of these people are coming from, you may just learn something about people and the public you work with in a way that you don't get to deal with them in person... and may end up being a better officer for it.

And the dog thing is a worn out joke, nothing more. Don't take it personally.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:26:30 AM EDT
RABIDFOX,

I think you are missing the excellent point posted in one of the threads. Paraphrased, "A LEO commiting a crime him/herself, is no longer a LEO."

I understand that the vast majority of cops have only the most honorable intentions, and when they end up doing things, such as gross civil rights violations, they do it because they were ordered to, and in the most stressful of situtations, they do not question the chain of command, because they assume that they would not be issued illegal orders.

Having said that, it is both unforntunate and illustrative of the growing divide between LEO's and their employer, The People. More "Us against Them" mentality from both sides.

Also, it is reasonable for private citizens to desire to protect their assests in whatever way they can. Be it personal wealth, or the very necessities of survival. We DO NOT live in China, Cuba, or any other communist state. We all PAY TAXES, and that is our contribution to the "common good".

If folks want to be charitable, that is awesome! And if a representative of any gov't orginization asks for further help, any resonable man should do what he can.

But the forced taking of one's property cannot be allowed, irregardless of the situation. It is in the best traditions of what is an American, to forcefully resist tyranny, wherever it rears it's ugly head.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:33:07 AM EDT
If you take the crap in person (along with the risk of spitting, clawing, hitting, etc.), why worry what some faceless text on the internet has to say?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:47:09 AM EDT

I've always been a friend of the LEO and it would take a lot to change my mind. The line of demarcation between law enforcement and non law enforcement has become increasingly well defined, though.

There is an "us vs. them" mentality prevalent on both sides. Everyone should take responsibility.

If you have different attitudes about cops vs. non-cops, then you might be part of the problem.

Those who never grew out of adolescence with regard to their attitude towards authority are the other.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:06:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/31/2005 4:08:22 AM EDT by jcncc]
Most LEO's are great people and like you said a few bad apples spoil the image of all. The problem here is that most members are conservative to the extreme. That being said they veiw LEO's as the strong arm of a increasingly liberal and misguided city are county government. I worked in public safety for 22 years recently retired and met some that were so two faced as to make you sick. This was not a reprasentation of the majority.

Take the recent supreme court decision on immimnate domain. Given the order would you dress in riot gear and evict old lady smith because the city wants her property. If you would you are no better than a storm trooper if you refused you are not entitled to your paycheck.

Given the fact that you have the ability to use deadly force to enforce ordanices no matter how screwed up is it any wonder a few here consider you a threat to their liberty.

Maybe it is time for the LEO community to stand up and say enough of this shit.

Spell nazi have your way with me it's to early for this stuff.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:45:46 AM EDT

Originally Posted By nationwide:
RABIDFOX,

I think you are missing the excellent point posted in one of the threads. Paraphrased, "A LEO commiting a crime him/herself, is no longer a LEO."

I understand that the vast majority of cops have only the most honorable intentions, and when they end up doing things, such as gross civil rights violations, they do it because they were ordered to, and in the most stressful of situtations, they do not question the chain of command, because they assume that they would not be issued illegal orders.

Having said that, it is both unforntunate and illustrative of the growing divide between LEO's and their employer, The People. More "Us against Them" mentality from both sides.

Also, it is reasonable for private citizens to desire to protect their assests in whatever way they can. Be it personal wealth, or the very necessities of survival. We DO NOT live in China, Cuba, or any other communist state. We all PAY TAXES, and that is our contribution to the "common good".

If folks want to be charitable, that is awesome! And if a representative of any gov't orginization asks for further help, any resonable man should do what he can.

But the forced taking of one's property cannot be allowed, irregardless of the situation. It is in the best traditions of what is an American, to forcefully resist tyranny, wherever it rears it's ugly head.

I do understand and I do apologise for ranting in another thread. I have no idea why that one guy got me so pissed. I'm done with it and I'm done with the thread. I leave it to the wolves. Everyone needs to understand that I am no fan of the bid G nor do I condone any thing illegal done by fellow LEOs. I got into Law Enforcement for the ability to help those in need and be there when help is needed. I think some of us have lost their way to that end.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:03:37 AM EDT
Get some thicker skin dude.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:17:29 AM EDT

Originally Posted By jadams951:

Umm I have a very thick shin. What I will not tolerate is my profession being run through the mud thank you.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:00:38 AM EDT
Time and time again some punk posts a sob story about how he was treated on a traffic stop or when cops came to his door. Even the "this happened to a friend of mine" BS cop bash thread. Funny how there's usually NEVER any verification of the fairytale yet the masses are all over it with typical venomous mob mentality. I remember one particular post that was a set-up just to see who and how many would jump on the cop-bash bandwagon.
Like guardian855 says, you'll never meet any of these morons. Hell, I've squared off with outlaw bikers, rapists, bangers, car jackers, dopers, murderers.....Not a single punk ass one of 'em was EVER man enough to walk the talk when he had the opportunity one on one to step up and do something to prove how bad he was. Internet tough guys impress me me even less.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:13:22 AM EDT
Well, what the hell, I'll throw my unrequested opinion out here for all to view, too.

First of all, I have a rather extensive criminal history - all misdemeanors, but blemishes that included some jail time and I am not proud of any of it. I grew up.

I suppose I am one of the lucky ones because I learned from my past and refuse to live in it. That is, the times I was arrested made me question who I was and what I was making of myself. Was that really the life I wanted for me?

The last one, the real life changer, was when I was arrested in front of my kids. The cop pulled no punches and handcuffed me right there in my hallway, in my own home, in front of all 3 of Camy's children, who just stared and cried (misdemeanor warrant for not complying with the diversion program ordered). Outside I criticized the officer and asked him why he couldn't have taken me outside before he handcuffed me, took my gun, wallet, etc, and led me away as my kids cried.

Know what he said? He said, "Maybe they'll see what being arrested is like and grow to be better than you. Don't blame ME for YOUR kids suffering emotional consequences YOU brought on yourself. Maybe if you were not breaking the law they wouldn't be seeing this - ever think of that?" (paraphrased, of course).

You know what? he was 100%, absolutely correct. Once he got me to the Horseshoe for inprocessing, I actually thanked him for helping me get my fucking head screwed on straight and realizing the world was more than richardh247. He wasn't being unprofessional by doing what he did. He was teaching me, and he was teaching my kids. Good on him is my contention. And I still use that experience when the kids act up. "Guys, remember Dec of 2004. You want to be better than me." It's a pretty sobering thought, actually, and the kids have even commented on how much I have grown since then. I am a better person and a better parent.

There are many reasons people bash LEOs. An experience like I just related makes them bitter and spiteful, but that is because they live in the past and accept no personal responsibility for what they brought on themselves. Rather than grow, they are stagnant dwelling in their contempt.

Of course, this is a VERY conservative board; and, as has been said, LEOs are the front line of the fight to protect our freedoms as civilians. Naturally, you get the most crap. It is not right, but it is to be expected. Much easier to call a cop a JBT than it is to get off your ass and change the policies. That's just bashing out of laziness.

Ignore them, my friend. They are the very few. Their animosity stems from any number of factors, but it is just that: animosity. Let them live their secluded little lives where everything is always everyone else's fault and growth is a foreign concept.

I can relate to police work. I use my past to try and help others before they make the same mistakes I did, because recovery is a very hard road behind sealed walls, both figuratively and literally. Even though my intentions are completely unselfish and I am only trying to help, I get spit on, told to STFU, threatened, you name it. I am judged on many things, but never the truth.

When you pinned on that badge, you opened yourself to a world of scrutiny for everything you do. Again, it ain't right, but it is a fact. You're underpaid, over stressed, and no matter what action you take, proactive or reactive, right or wrong, hero or villian, you will always face resistance from one side or the other. You can't do enough, but you are always doing too much. Either you failed to act correctly or you over-reacted and should be fired. Use your Taser and you couldn't wait to use it, don't use it and you should have. Either way, you should be fired. Pull your duty weapon and you are power hungry, hiding behind the immunity of the badge, and should be fired; but don't pull it and get hurt and you were an idiot for not being properly prepared and should be fired. Give a cop a speeding warning, rather than a ticket, and you are showing favoritism and should be fired. Give a civilian the same break and you let go a speeder who is destined to kill someone and should be fired. Take pride in your uniform and you are a ninja trying to be all military-shiny like, but look like a slob and you are a discredit to your profession. You deserve to be fired. Raid the wrong house and you are a para-military JBT and should be fired and sued... But if you don't raid every house called in by the sheep you are not keeping violent crime off the streets and should be fired and sued.

Let it wash off your back, my friend. You don't get to hear stories like mine often, so it seems everyone is against you. But believe it or not, you make a positive difference in lives.

Many times, you make a huge difference... You just don't know it. Stay safe out there and watch your six, bro.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:29:37 AM EDT

Umm I have a very thick shin. What I will not tolerate is my profession being run through the mud thank you.

Be a public school administrator. I think they hate me as much as LEO's on this board.

Don't let them get to you. I think are over 10,000 users on this site. Most don't have any problems with the po-po.

Av.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:30:31 AM EDT
GD has always been a cesspit. I'm amazed that the mods stay around (and sane)

You have to correlate the cop bashers and the hate filled nutty ones with the posters in the "Drug" threads or the "How many time have you had your car searched" threads.

You'll really notice the same names over and over. Some of these guys have an AMAZING number of interactions with the police, hard drug use is prevalent. One is actually PROUD of how many times he's avoided a breathalyzer.

Bottom line, a scumbag on the street wouldn't upset you, why would one on the internet? Stupidity is stupidity, regardless of the medium.

BTW: I already hold the title of the "Most Hated Arfcom LEO" You should read my IM's. Heck, Modog attacked me before I even made it to the thread.

Maybe we can start a "top five" list.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:38:51 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Johninaustin:

You have to correlate the cop bashers and the hate filled nutty ones with the posters in the "Drug" threads or the "How many time have you had your car searched" threads.

You'll really notice the same names over and over. Some of these guys have an AMAZING number of interactions with the police, hard drug use is prevalent. One is actually PROUD of how many times he's avoided a breathalyzer.

Bottom line, a scumbag on the street wouldn't upset you, why would one on the internet? Stupidity is stupidity, regardless of the medium.

BTW: I already hold the title of the "Most Hated Arfcom LEO" You should read my IM's. Heck, Modog attacked me before I even made it to the thread.

Well spoken. I changed mine back to Hurricane magnet due to the season not being over. You are right about the whole internet thing. It's not easy to piss me off but there are times and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I have a feeling that guy is what we call a jailhouse lawyer. I have seen it first hand in our jail. The issue is dead to me. I have moved on to better waters.
My thanks to everyone.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:39:14 AM EDT
That's why I almost never go to GD. It's a waste of time and most of the non-cop threads are stupid anyway.

I deal with BS complaints in person all the time. Several just the other day. When I get pissed I just go out and write tickets and make arrests(what do you think about that GD??). People like to harp on the very few bad cops you occasionally see. But if we use the same logic then we should lump everyone into the same basket because of a few shitheads that we deal with all the time. I decided that we are paid by about 80 percent of the public but only deal with about 5 percent on a regular basis. If the good old welfare system would quit babying these people then the amount of cops that the communities would need would be next to nothing since most normal Americans are decent, hardworking people. But the herd of sheeple is definately increasing based on what I've been seeing lately.

RANT OFF
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:58:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/31/2005 7:59:30 AM EDT by PocketG]
"You can't stop the waves from hitting the beach"

Yeah you can, put up a wall. You will read it hear, sometimes hear it out there. Only you can disregard their disrespect. Carry on with your life and one day they will grow old and die.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:24:33 AM EDT

Well spoken. I changed mine back to Hurricane magnet due to the season not being over. You are right about the whole internet thing. It's not easy to piss me off but there are times and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I have a feeling that guy is what we call a jailhouse lawyer. I have seen it first hand in our jail. The issue is dead to me. I have moved on to better waters.
My thanks to everyone.

As a LEO, I'm probably one of the least popular in GD. Some of that I bring on myself, because my writing style comes across as a little more terse than I sometimes mean it to be. Oh well.
What's most frustrating is the incidents they choose to nitpick "the police" over. My own agency has a couple of publicized scandals that're quite worthy of contempt, and indefendable by any sane cop. The bashers don't usually go after blatant police stupidity though, they love to go over the gray areas like traffic stops, shootings, drug raids, the sort of things that are judgement calls that no one who wasn't at the scene really has a right to dissect.
My advice to you, if it really bothers you, is to either not read it or respond to it in a cogent manner. You aren't gonna change any minds, but it can be entertaining if you have the right frame of mind.
I also feel that most of the cop bashers would be saying the same thing about the military if they could get away with it (I suspect most're jealous of cops and soldiers) but knocking the military wouldn't fly here.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:33:55 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ryann:

My thanks to everyone.

As a LEO, I'm probably one of the least popular in GD. Some of that I bring on myself, because my writing style comes across as a little more terse than I sometimes mean it to be. Oh well.
What's most frustrating is the incidents they choose to nitpick "the police" over. My own agency has a couple of publicized scandals that're quite worthy of contempt, and indefendable by any sane cop. The bashers don't usually go after blatant police stupidity though, they love to go over the gray areas like traffic stops, shootings, drug raids, the sort of things that are judgement calls that no one who wasn't at the scene really has a right to dissect.
My advice to you, if it really bothers you, is to either not read it or respond to it in a cogent manner. You aren't gonna change any minds, but it can be entertaining if you have the right frame of mind.
I also feel that most of the cop bashers would be saying the same thing about the military if they could get away with it (I suspect most're jealous of cops and soldiers) but knocking the military wouldn't fly here.

True, very true. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:40:21 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:05:23 AM EDT
Hang in there. Most of the cop-bashing comes from anti-authority druggies, and the rest from nutcases. There are decent people who comment on police wrongdoing intelligently, not equating all LE as JBT. I respect that, because they're reasonable and can draw distinctions.

I just let the blowhards pretend to be real men in GD, where they can spout off in anonymity without fear. When it comes into Hometown Forums, where a numbnut spouts off that LE responding to weather disasters are still JBTs--that when I start to get upset.

Still, if it weren't for idiots and mental midgets, most of us would be unemployed. Think of it as job security
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:23:41 AM EDT

Just how do you plan on doing that? There are always going to be people that bad mouth cops and don't like them. Deal with it. It's just a job..not your life.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:19:28 PM EDT
Don't let the cop bashers get to you there are a lot of us like myself on here that respect what you all do every day for us.

This is one thing I have noticed most people who don't like cops always get busted by cops and it's really easy to see why. Every person I have ran across that hates LE always gets an instant attitude when LE shows up and they wonder why they always get a ticket or get busted. If I was a LEO and somebody gave me an attitude I would bust their ass too.

I have tried to explain many times to these people that they bring it on themselves but it never sinks into their thick skull.

They are the type of people that think I'm lucky because I have been given many more breaks by LE than tickets. They refuse to accept the fact it's because I don't give the officers an attitude.

As far as them pointing out the occasional bad cop and claiming all cops are bad. I would point out to them the citizens that get arrested for breaking the law daily in this country. So that must mean they are scumbag criminals also since by their own logic all citizens must be bad.

Don't let them get to ya they are just
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:32:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By richardh247:
Well, what the hell, I'll throw my unrequested opinion out here for all to view, too.

First of all, I have a rather extensive criminal history - all misdemeanors, but blemishes that included some jail time and I am not proud of any of it. I grew up.

I suppose I am one of the lucky ones because I learned from my past and refuse to live in it. That is, the times I was arrested made me question who I was and what I was making of myself. Was that really the life I wanted for me?

The last one, the real life changer, was when I was arrested in front of my kids. The cop pulled no punches and handcuffed me right there in my hallway, in my own home, in front of all 3 of Camy's children, who just stared and cried (misdemeanor warrant for not complying with the diversion program ordered). Outside I criticized the officer and asked him why he couldn't have taken me outside before he handcuffed me, took my gun, wallet, etc, and led me away as my kids cried.

Know what he said? He said, "Maybe they'll see what being arrested is like and grow to be better than you. Don't blame ME for YOUR kids suffering emotional consequences YOU brought on yourself. Maybe if you were not breaking the law they wouldn't be seeing this - ever think of that?" (paraphrased, of course).

You know what? he was 100%, absolutely correct. Once he got me to the Horseshoe for inprocessing, I actually thanked him for helping me get my fucking head screwed on straight and realizing the world was more than richardh247. He wasn't being unprofessional by doing what he did. He was teaching me, and he was teaching my kids. Good on him is my contention. And I still use that experience when the kids act up. "Guys, remember Dec of 2004. You want to be better than me." It's a pretty sobering thought, actually, and the kids have even commented on how much I have grown since then. I am a better person and a better parent.

There are many reasons people bash LEOs. An experience like I just related makes them bitter and spiteful, but that is because they live in the past and accept no personal responsibility for what they brought on themselves. Rather than grow, they are stagnant dwelling in their contempt.

Of course, this is a VERY conservative board; and, as has been said, LEOs are the front line of the fight to protect our freedoms as civilians. Naturally, you get the most crap. It is not right, but it is to be expected. Much easier to call a cop a JBT than it is to get off your ass and change the policies. That's just bashing out of laziness.

Ignore them, my friend. They are the very few. Their animosity stems from any number of factors, but it is just that: animosity. Let them live their secluded little lives where everything is always everyone else's fault and growth is a foreign concept.

I can relate to police work. I use my past to try and help others before they make the same mistakes I did, because recovery is a very hard road behind sealed walls, both figuratively and literally. Even though my intentions are completely unselfish and I am only trying to help, I get spit on, told to STFU, threatened, you name it. I am judged on many things, but never the truth.

When you pinned on that badge, you opened yourself to a world of scrutiny for everything you do. Again, it ain't right, but it is a fact. You're underpaid, over stressed, and no matter what action you take, proactive or reactive, right or wrong, hero or villian, you will always face resistance from one side or the other. You can't do enough, but you are always doing too much. Either you failed to act correctly or you over-reacted and should be fired. Use your Taser and you couldn't wait to use it, don't use it and you should have. Either way, you should be fired. Pull your duty weapon and you are power hungry, hiding behind the immunity of the badge, and should be fired; but don't pull it and get hurt and you were an idiot for not being properly prepared and should be fired. Give a cop a speeding warning, rather than a ticket, and you are showing favoritism and should be fired. Give a civilian the same break and you let go a speeder who is destined to kill someone and should be fired. Take pride in your uniform and you are a ninja trying to be all military-shiny like, but look like a slob and you are a discredit to your profession. You deserve to be fired. Raid the wrong house and you are a para-military JBT and should be fired and sued... But if you don't raid every house called in by the sheep you are not keeping violent crime off the streets and should be fired and sued.

Let it wash off your back, my friend. You don't get to hear stories like mine often, so it seems everyone is against you. But believe it or not, you make a positive difference in lives.

Many times, you make a huge difference... You just don't know it. Stay safe out there and watch your six, bro.

richardh247,

What a very well thought out post. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and thoughts.

Jess
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:52:09 PM EDT

Just how do you plan on doing that? There are always going to be people that bad mouth cops and don't like them. Deal with it. It's just a job..not your life.

I beg to differ. It is a large part of my life. I take my job very seriously unlike some of my fellow academy grads who either got themselves fired for stupid crap or just treat the job AS a job. They didnt last too long and out of a class of 47, there are 14 of us left. It's a bad attitude in my opinion.

This is the first time I have lost it over a internet troll but I am still only human and not perfect. Thanks to everyone else for your support. I'm just trying to fight the good fight here. I know I'm on the right side in this.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:14:55 PM EDT
Look at it like this ,

Dont let what people "think" bother you , a LOT of them dont do it that often.

And you can see it very easily in the post some make, IF they are afflicted with Think-Deprivation.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:39:46 PM EDT

It's just a job..not your life.

I know folks say "It's just a job" ("jobbers"). I have yet to meet any of them from outside the business who have actually done it. As such (no personal slam intended - it's a lack of experiential knowledge thing) I call

I think of "the job" as a calling, and I'll explain why.

Once you've seen the feces we have to wade through (literally in NoLo ) on a daily basis, you're either made for this job or not. If you're not, you can do 20 and out, but you're nowhere near as effective, interested, or a part of it as when it's a part of you.

The closest thing I can equate it to is being a sniper, or specop type dude (it's a poor analogy, but work with me here). There's a certain degree of separation from reality that has to occur for us to do our jobs. A sniper/operator can't think of his target as a dad, whose kids are waiting for him to come home and play ball. Likewise, LEO's, FF's, and EMT's can't think "Gee, the poor guy's head got blown off - that's gross" and all over, then run around like a headless chicken like most of the bystanders are.

There are folks who can do the minimum to get by, but to find folks that are into these types of jobs, it takes a whole new type of weird - and you need a few of them on your side to really get the job done. The "Inside jobbers" are the ones who took the test primarily for the pension and bennies - they're usually the ones that are 10-7 at the Krispy Kreme when you're hollerin' for backup and wrasslin' with a big dude.

Working in a gig like ours isn't just like flipping burgers, or selling shoes, or sweeping a floor - no matter what the "jobbers" say.

(They're the same type who believe a manager is a manager is a manager, whether he's a Police Lt. or a Wal Mart DM)

IMHO, most folks who wear badges and have this attitude are the ones who are caught with their hands in the till or drugs in their squad. The "jobbers" (on both sides of the line) can yammer all they want.

Kind of rambling, but I feel ya, Bro... see below:

Originally Posted By ColtRifle:

That's why I almost never go to GD. It's a waste of time and most of the non-cop threads are stupid anyway.

+1

I still go there, but I always hit BOTS first.

Stay Safe.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:46:28 PM EDT
I'm sorry but this is not just a job, I've had a lot of "jobs" and I never consider being in law enforcement "just a Job" !! Its way more than that. To me it is a way of life. Anybody can have just a job, but it takes a very special person to be an LEO.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:58:39 PM EDT
I never thought being a Marine was a "job," and I don't consider LE a "job." But thats me.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:30:24 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:00:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/31/2005 5:02:49 PM EDT by PocketG]
I have read all these replies and felt some sort of sympathy for all of guys and gals here. I asked in a topic that they back off some. I started it and of coarse got a little flak, but thats OK, because we are tough.

Remember this saying: WE ARE ROCK STEADY, ROCK STEADY WE ARE.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:06:43 PM EDT
There are over 60K users on this site (minus the couple thousand troll accounts). Don't let a few loudmouth a-holes bother you. I believe most here appreciate what you guys do, i know i do. I don't know how you put up with the shit you put up with. If i were to see one of you on the side of the road in a scuffle with a bad guy, you could count on me to pull over and help.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:00:07 PM EDT
I just saw 2 female N.O. police officers get caught on video by MSNBC loading up a shopping cart inside a walmart. They were in uniform and everything. Guy was like, um wtf? Black cop,....we is just doing what they is doing....

What a fucking disgrace. I hope they are fired asap. Truely sad.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:13:49 PM EDT

I beg to differ. It is a large part of my life. I take my job very seriously unlike some of my fellow academy grads who either got themselves fired for stupid crap or just treat the job AS a job. They didnt last too long and out of a class of 47, there are 14 of us left. It's a bad attitude in my opinion.

This is the first time I have lost it over a internet troll but I am still only human and not perfect. Thanks to everyone else for your support. I'm just trying to fight the good fight here. I know I'm on the right side in this.

Well, I've only been on patrol about 8 years now. But since my dad, brother, aunt, and uncle are or were law enforcement I've got a good clue as to what goes on. I don't want to sound cocky but me and my brother have a reputation as two very good deputies in my dept. In my my first 5 years in le work that's all I wanted to do. I hated being off and I dang sure did not want to have weekends off for fear of missing the "excitement." After 5 years I learned something extremely important. While it is great to have a job you love...you need to have a life outside of being a cop. Otherwise, someday, it will eat you up, screw up your personal life, etc. I've seen it over and over again.

Being a cop is a great thing but you are not going to save the world. All you can do is do the best job you can and be a cut above the rest. Don't lose your cool over goofballs on the internet. How do you handle when people tell you ain't nothing but a pussy with a badge and gun? Are you going to let stupid words mess with your head that much? If you let that get to you that much than you need to relax.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:23:20 PM EDT

Originally Posted By JUSTACOP:
I just saw 2 female N.O. police officers get caught on video by MSNBC loading up a shopping cart inside a walmart. They were in uniform and everything. Guy was like, um wtf? Black cop,....we is just doing what they is doing....

What a fucking disgrace. I hope they are fired asap. Truely sad.

A great big fucking plus one!

"We is juss doin what they is doin!"

"Good. Hand over your badge and gun so you cans gos joins thems."

Fucking NO sucks. What a shit hole. I hope the fucking area and most of the people sink to the bottom of the ocean, bunch of self-serving liberal bastards.

Buh buy, bitches.

I am a big supporter of LE, but crooked or self-serving cops should be shot, just like looters stealing televisions. Food, water, that's one thing. Candy bars and electronics? BANG. One less prick on the face of the earth. A cop who joins them should be no different. They disgrace all you out there trying to do the right thing.

Tht fucking city needs to be swallowed and forgotten as a miserable accident of America.

OK, sorry, rant off.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:27:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By shotar:
Sadley we do have a few dirtbags and self centered morons here. Most fortunately, if the SHTF in thier immediate area would succumb to darwinism. They see a snapshot of something they think is happening and in turn villanize all LEOs. It never occurs to them that in fact LEOs can comandeer goods for the benefit of all in an emergency, or might secure critical supplies. They have labled the NOPD as thieves for arming themselves with walmart rifles not realizing that they are well within their power to do so. They have argued that taking food, and medicines and medical supplies is the same as looters taking jewels and diamonds. I say let them drown in their self righteous absolutism. That few would be the ones you would not want on your survival camp as they would be the ones hoarding and failing to pitch in for the group to survive. If there are low lifes among the NOPD then they will have to answer when the time comes. Until then, I will presume that their intentions and actions are honorable under circumstances that most of us will never face.

Another big plus 1!

Survival is one thing. Being an asshole is just being an asshole. Go get a fucking job and buy what you want. I have one leg and even I have a fucking job, and I work construction! As a matter of fact, I haven't had a day off in 3 weeks and still have another apartment waiting on me.

People that take advantage of a disaster sicken me
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:53:30 PM EDT
RABIDFOX50:

You can't take it so personally. You just can't. "Don't mean nothin'"

I know you are one of the "Blue Knights" but there are elements beyond your control

There are LEOs who don't have your same ethics. You are not responsible for their bad judgement.

There are individuals who just don't get it wrt the job LEOs are asked to do for way too little money. You are not responsible for their lack of wisdom.

You may not be able to change these individuals but you can still do a good, and important, job.

Keep going.

Rick

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 11:42:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/31/2005 11:44:45 PM EDT by RABIDFOX50]

Well, I've only been on patrol about 8 years now. But since my dad, brother, aunt, and uncle are or were law enforcement I've got a good clue as to what goes on. I don't want to sound cocky but me and my brother have a reputation as two very good deputies in my dept. In my my first 5 years in le work that's all I wanted to do. I hated being off and I dang sure did not want to have weekends off for fear of missing the "excitement." After 5 years I learned something extremely important. While it is great to have a job you love...you need to have a life outside of being a cop. Otherwise, someday, it will eat you up, screw up your personal life, etc. I've seen it over and over again.

Being a cop is a great thing but you are not going to save the world. All you can do is do the best job you can and be a cut above the rest. Don't lose your cool over goofballs on the internet. How do you handle when people tell you ain't nothing but a pussy with a badge and gun? Are you going to let stupid words mess with your head that much? If you let that get to you that much than you need to relax.

I strive to do just that every day.

Nope. Does not phase me one bit. My first year on the job was part time in the Jail. If you can't hack it in there, you are worthless on the street. I guess I was having a bad internet interface session.

I'm only human.

Thanks guys. It's dead news. Real life calls us to duty. Everyone stay safe. God bless.....

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top