Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/3/2013 6:02:24 AM EDT
Not much sadder than once great airlines, that are now gone.

Here is a story on LAB. One of the first and oldest airlines in the world, it is zombie carrier now.

FT story on LAB

One of my other favorite South American carriers was Faucett Peru, formed by an American, Elmer Faucett.

His wiki, en Espanol!

My favorite European airlines are all historical...

BEA..British European Airways, the British domestic and European carrier. One more victim of the British post War aviation policy, which presided over British aviation becoming among the worst from amongst the first in a matter of decades. Many within the British Airways family still believe that in the merger between BOAC and BEA, BOAC shouldn't have been the winner

BEA-wiki

And SABENA.

I love airlines with acronyms for names. Very Modernist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SABENA
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 7:28:11 AM EDT
[#1]
FTA
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 7:54:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
FTA
View Quote

Took me a second, and then I got it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 10:46:38 AM EDT
[#3]
You are right. It is sad to see some of the greats fold up and go away. I've told people that "I got the chance to fly on TWA" and they never understand. It's a complete "so what" moment for them. These days Apple and Google represent the modern world. There ws a time when it was Pan Am and TWA.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 6:07:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Chalk's

Operated seaplane charter from Miami to Bahamas.  Went out of business as their old seaplanes were falling apart and they just couldn't keep them going anymore.  They had a wing fall off a plane shortly after takeoff and the carnage was witnessed by a bunch of people on a beach.  Think someone even got video footage of it.

I was on a liveaboard scuba trip in 2003.  We were swapping out crewmembers in Bimini and had to wait for them to fly over on a Chalk's Grumman Mallard.  Didn't realize the history of that airline until I saw an "Air Disasters" episode featuring them on the Smithsonian Channel.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 6:16:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Ozark, Peoples Express, Frontier (the original), Western, Pan Am, TWA, Southern, Lake Central, Hughes Air West, Braniff, Air Miidwest, Northwest Orient, Swissair, British Caledonian, BOAC, PSA, Allegheny, Piedmont, Laker...........

Why anyone would invest in an airline is a mystery.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 7:30:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 7:31:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 11:00:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Arthur C. Clark missed that one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ozark, Peoples Express, Frontier (the original), Western, Pan Am, TWA, Southern, Lake Central, Hughes Air West, Braniff, Air Miidwest, Northwest Orient, Swissair, British Caledonian, BOAC, PSA, Allegheny, Piedmont, Laker...........

Why anyone would invest in an airline is a mystery.

Arthur C. Clark missed that one.

Had Deregulation not occured, Clarke would have been right.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 11:15:56 AM EDT
[#9]
What about Tower Air. Any time we flew commercial in the Army, we flew Tower. Though we called it Terror Air.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 11:19:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Nobody mentioned Pan Am yet?!?!
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 11:24:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Eastern Airlines
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 11:35:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Midwest Express.

I've got an unused Eastern Airlines matchbook around here somewhere...  (From back when you could smoke on flights!)

Mike
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 12:51:30 PM EDT
[#13]
I flew on AirTran, National, Eastern, Braniff, and Pan Am.

Trust me, you don't want me as a passenger on your line.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 1:05:01 PM EDT
[#14]
HOOTERS!
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 5:47:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Reno Air

American gobbled up their MDs and left behind less than 25% of the original routes out of Reno.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 3:27:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
HOOTERS!
View Quote

I got to play with the Hooters(aircraft that is).

They used to be Pace Airlines.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 3:36:26 AM EDT
[#17]

My first trip on a 747 was from NY Kennedy to San Francisco aboard a Pan Am Clipper in the 70's. Great experience. They were called 'stewardess' back then and dressed like one.

Also, props to Piedmont Airline which was bought out by US Airways. They were a great little airline and very dependable.

My business travel agent booked a flight to Kansas once for me using Midwest Express. I thought I was on the wrong plane when the pilot came out to introduce himself and the air crew while they were pouring mimosas and handing out a pancake breakfast on real plates.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 3:44:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Used to work at the original Midway Airlines.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 2:43:40 PM EDT
[#19]

A little video that in all honesty no one here will probably care about, but it's a little tribute to Independence Air out of IAD back in 04-06.  Flew there (and it's former regional carrier incarnation) for about 7 years.  Great times and good friends:

Link Posted: 9/5/2013 2:47:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Sorry this is a link, not a youtube vid, but this is the best defunct airline video I've ever seen:

Time to Say Goodbye

Link Posted: 9/5/2013 2:52:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 2:53:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Since nobody said it...

Continental. The old gold tail Continental. And, now, the parachute tailed Continental.
View Quote

Don't get me started on that....
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 3:16:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Pan Am.  Overnight flight to Heathrow from DC National, when I was 11.  747.  Coolest thing in the world.

Piedmont.  First ever flight, from Richmond to Hartford, when I was 8.  Pilot gave me a cockpit tour and everything.  Radar, buttons, switches, the whole shebang.

Interestingly, 30 years later I lived in a house built by a Piedmont employee in a neighborhood built by Piedmont employees right around the corner from their HQ at Charlotte-Douglas.  I then sold the house to a husband/wife USAir team (mech/stew, er, flight attendant).
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 6:17:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Republic

Sorry, Continental was a nightmare and their pay sucked. Maybe it was just the time frame I was around them.

Pan-Am was nice and the name theft was still around in FL.

More than the names, I miss the quality of service that has dwindled into what it is today. The Southwest cattle cars were a joke, but they are now viewed as decent treatment.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 10:07:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Republic....
View Quote

And before that, North Central  

I flew on their DC-3s, Convair, and DC-9s in the late 60s-early 70s. I forget what the nickname was for it, the lame duck, or something like that...
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 7:02:04 AM EDT
[#26]
ATA.

Biggest airline you've never heard of.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 6:45:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Peoples Express Airlines

Circa 1981-1987

Flew once from Newark to Jacksonville FL. Had to pay for the ticket on board the plane with a check, no reservations. Just show up.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 8:12:27 AM EDT
[#28]
PeoplesExpress was a hull loss waiting to happen.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 1:04:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

A little video that in all honesty no one here will probably care about, but it's a little tribute to Independence Air out of IAD back in 04-06.  Flew there (and it's former regional carrier incarnation) for about 7 years.  Great times and good friends:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UODp_nbp054

View Quote

Hey I wanted to see you guys make it man.

Thanks for trying though.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 3:04:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Braniff,  Northeast, Panagra (Pan American Grace)
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:39:59 PM EDT
[#31]

I recall these from when I worked at Sea Tac (KSEA)

Sir James...
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 4:41:13 AM EDT
[#32]
That Great American -9 looks fresh off TWA lease.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 5:16:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UODp_nbp054

It was a good time, but in hindsight the cards were stacked against us (UAL's free reign in bankruptcy) and the cost of fuel was just too much with all those RJs.  Had fun, though.  Great group of guys and girls to work with.

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:35:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

It was a good time, but in hindsight the cards were stacked against us (UAL's free reign in bankruptcy) and the cost of fuel was just too much with all those RJs.  Had fun, though.  Great group of guys and girls to work with.

View Quote

Independence Air had a large cash flow problem from its inception.  The "idea" was vetted by a consulting firm hired by the company / board who produced really nice power points and predicted the demise of UAL (a real possibility at the time) and the NOVA area becoming undeserved almost overnight.  In my recollection, the "idea" was presented to ALPA Economic Finance and Analysis and they projected the company could cash flow for around 18 months.  Nice idea, but many stars needed to line up for it to work.  The old "it was because of the increase in fuel costs" while certainly not helping the cause, was simplistic and a disingenuous talking point floated about by responsible parties, in my opinion.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 11:11:40 AM EDT
[#35]
My Dad tried out several during his career:

Air Florida
Midway Airlines
Reno Air
Ryan International Airlines
Air South
Gemini Air Cargo

I know I'm missing a couple others too and there are a few that are still kicking.  I guess you can say he had a bad run but he managed to stay employed until 60 except for a few short stretches.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 11:12:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Independence Air had a large cash flow problem from its inception.  The "idea" was vetted by a consulting firm hired by the company / board who produced really nice power points and predicted the demise of UAL (a real possibility at the time) and the NOVA area becoming undeserved almost overnight.  In my recollection, the "idea" was presented to ALPA Economic Finance and Analysis and they projected the company could cash flow for around 18 months.  Nice idea, but many stars needed to line up for it to work.  The old "it was because of the increase in fuel costs" while certainly not helping the cause, was simplistic and a disingenuous talking point floated about by responsible parties, in my opinion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I agree.  The business plan seemed to be exactly as you stated, "we need ual to go out of business" basically.

18 months was pretty close, too.  That's about how long it lasted I think.

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 11:34:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Trans Texas, Tricon, Rio, Hood, Jamaica Air Service, MayAir, SMB Stage Lines, Mustang, Bonanza, Texas International
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:24:52 PM EDT
[#38]
my dad would share his lucky hire story a few times...he said at the very last minute...Delta called him when he was set to go with Eastern or NorthWest ( northeast?  IDK...)..... back in 1969

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:30:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Eastern Airlines.

Boeing DESIGNED the 757 for Eastern and Eastern was the launch customer for the type.

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:34:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Also, Braniff Airlines, which had a reputation for painting its aircraft in the wildest and most varied color schemes they could cook up.

You could see 10 Braniff aircraft and all 10 would be a different color.

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 5:24:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Mackey Airlines, As a kid I'd fly them to the Bahamas.
Convair 440's out of FLL. Crank the old radials while lineman stood by with
the fire extinguishers. Stairs still had Eastern Airways embossed in them.
Also neat sign saying radar equipped.

Later in life flew Aspen Airways, Stapleton to ASE. Convair 580's
this time. No fire extinguishers needed.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:48:37 PM EDT
[#42]
My father worked for both the original National Airlines (NAL) and, after the merger, Pan Am.

Pan Am was the by far the most prestigious and ground-breaking of the two, but National will always have a special place in my heart.  

Besides, although very different, they both represented two of the best airline liveries of the 1970s.

Photo Credit - Ron Monroe (Flickr)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/6128878025/

Photo Credit -Ron Monroe (Flickr)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/6052213504/

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 9:35:56 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Yeah I agree.  The business plan seemed to be exactly as you stated, "we need ual to go out of business" basically.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I remember working on some of Independence Airs RJ's after they folded, damn those things were rough!  

To keep the thread going, here's one anyone who worked around MCO a while back will remember, some rough birds also:

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:58:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Also, props to Piedmont Airline which was bought out by US Airways. They were a great little airline and very dependable.

View Quote

How could you tell if a Piedmont plane was level?

The stewardess had tobacco juice coming out of both ends of her mouth!

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:00:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Eastern Airlines.

Boeing DESIGNED the 757 for Eastern and Eastern was the launch customer for the type.

View Quote

What was the original design for the 757 that Boeing later decided to (and thankfully) deviate from?
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:02:12 PM EDT
[#46]

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:27:28 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
What was the original design for the 757 that Boeing later decided to (and thankfully) deviate from?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Eastern Airlines.

http://www.silverfalcons.com/wp-content/gallery/eastern-airlines-aircraft/B-757.jpeg  

T-tail!

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:41:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Fly Me

Watch Us Shine

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:58:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
T-tail!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Eastern Airlines.

http://www.silverfalcons.com/wp-content/gallery/eastern-airlines-aircraft/B-757.jpeg  

T-tail!  

Yep, they were going to yank the vertical and horizontal stab right off the 727 and put it on the 757, just like a good 80% of the fuselage structure is right out of the 707/727/737.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 4:38:31 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Yep, they were going to yank the vertical and horizontal stab right off the 727 and put it on the 757, just like a good 80% of the fuselage structure is right out of the 707/727/737.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Eastern Airlines.

T-tail!  

not the best photo, but off boeing's site

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top