Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2004 12:12:31 PM EDT
Ok, so I buy a new DVD burner so I can burn copies of MY OWN g-d DVD movies so I don't scratch up the originals.

"Copy protected"
"Copy protected"
"Copy protected"

WTF did I buy this thing for?  How do I copy these fvckers?  

NOTE TO MODS - this is not an invitation to break the law.  I want to copy MY discs for MY personal use.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:14:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Here you go

www.dvdr-digest.com
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:15:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Get a copy of DVD X-Copy. It works. IM me if you can't find it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:15:59 PM EDT
[#3]
DVD movies are too big to burn straight to DVD-R anyway.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:16:34 PM EDT
[#4]
What programs are you using? Is this a replacement DVD drive? What brand is it? Can you take it back and swap it for another brand?

That really sucks.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:17:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Download DVD shrink
www.dvdshrink.org/what.html
This is the "ripper" program.

Buy Nero 6.0
(download it for free and try it here)
www.nero.com/us/index.html
This is the "burner" program.

DISABLE AUTOPLAY!
DISABLE AUTOPLAY!
DISABLE AUTOPLAY!

Buy a couple of DVD rewritable disks and play around with it.

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:19:32 PM EDT
[#6]
It's a TDK internal drive, and it came bundled with Roxio DVD burner software.  I'm gonna need that X-dvd thing, I think.

Edit - I'll try the above...
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:21:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Roxio SUCKS ASS!
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:24:36 PM EDT
[#8]
The people that make DVD X-Copy were sued out business by the movie industry. But no worry DVD-shrink will do the same thing and it is free.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:24:52 PM EDT
[#9]
DVDdecrypter will rip your movies to your HD.
DVD shrink will reauthor it to fit a DVD 4.7
Nero will burn it to the DVD 4.7

Simple yet effective.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:25:25 PM EDT
[#10]
What's with the dual layer disks or whatever?  I bought a burner that was supposed to burn dual layer (or something like that) disks and now I can't find any disks.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:25:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Edited to add:  I didn't realize DVD Shrink could decrypt.  Is this new?  I have gotten so used to the above that I haven't checked lately.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:25:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I thought it was a violation of the law to even attempt to bypass the copy protection features of a DVD that was so encoded - even if it was for your own personal use.

The DVD X-COPY software was taken off the market after they lost a law suit to the entertainment industry.  The parent compnay folded, too.

Am I incorrect about this?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:26:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
What's with the dual layer disks or whatever?  I bought a burner that was supposed to burn dual layer (or something like that) disks and now I can't find any disks.

They're out there but they are around $15 a pop.  To expensive to be cost effective right now.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:26:44 PM EDT
[#14]
I agree that it's "fair use" as described by law to have a personal copy that you haven't loaned out, etc.  (search for "save betamax" in a search engine for even more info).

The multiple Disney DVD's we've purchased (which we already had on VHS) are well-used by the kidlets, so I finally made use of "fair use" and backed them all up and now they watch the copies.  They're still hard on them, but I can dig out the original when needed.

DVD XCopy works on most all of them.  The makers of this software (321 Studios) was sued by the studios and lost on court.  They went out of business a few months ago.  I still use the Express version, very simple and works great for most titles...not all.

A few others have popped up on store shelves.  The one from Intervideo says it won't decrypt the CSS encryption on DVD's.  ICopyDVDs2 is out, but it also does not do the decryption.  A free version is DVDShrink...again you have to have your own decryption of CSS.  I'd say the most well-known of these is DeCSS...it's free and you'll need about 10GB of free hard drive space.

While most of these work well with a  700MHz PIII computer, it'll take an hour or three to process. With a fast burner and a 2-3GHz machine with lots of memory, figure a half-hour.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:28:26 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

You can get dual layer disc but don't bother looking for awhile, online dual layer disc start at about $12 each. Use Single layer for now and in 6-8 months dual layer disc will get affordable.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:29:10 PM EDT
[#16]
"Format Shifting" is considered fair use.. reburning a DVD, or copying a purchased DVD to VHS for personal use is totally kosher.

I use DVD Shrink.. works like a champ
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:32:33 PM EDT
[#17]
+1 for dvd-shrink, I used it to backup my DVD's with no problem, and it's free
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:32:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Good grief!

Can someone post ONE link with which download that shrink thing!

It's like looking a pron! "Click here to go to a page with 3000 other links, then good luck!"

Thanks...
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:35:24 PM EDT
[#19]
So DVD-shrink and Nero won't decrypt a DVD?  I have to get something ELSE??
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:36:07 PM EDT
[#20]
dvdshrink.org.  it's linked up there.

+1 for dvdshrink...it's great.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:37:22 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Good grief!

It's like looking a pron! "Click here to go to a page with 3000 other links, then good luck!"

Thanks...

hehe...

www.dvdshrink.org/where.html

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:37:41 PM EDT
[#22]
That's crap.
You don't need shit to do a back-up with DVD Shrink except use it.

Quoted:  A free version is DVDShrink...again you have to have your own decryption of CSS.  I'd say the most well-known of these is DeCSS...it's free and you'll need about 10GB of free hard drive space.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:39:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Are you an OFFICER?
I posted the link to DVD Shrink 13 posts ago...

RTFP!

Quoted:
Good grief!

Thanks...

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:41:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Listen to me -
DVD Shrink WILL decrypt DVD's just fine.

For that one percent of DVD's that DVD Shrink can'd decrypt then use Smart Ripper or DVD Decrypt.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:45:15 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Listen to me -
DVD Shrink WILL decrypt DVD's just fine.

For that one percent of DVD's that DVD Shrink can'd decrypt then use Smart Ripper or DVD Decrypt.

Quoted:

It was true at one time DVD-Shrink would not decrypt DVDs.

That is no longer true it will do it all now.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:45:57 PM EDT
[#26]
No, I'm not an officer.... conflicting information is fucking me up!

I'm on the right path now, and after I get Nero and Dvdshrink up and running I'll give an update...

SSG QS
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:48:05 PM EDT
[#27]
one more tag-along question, what media is best to use?  My burner says it does +R at 16x but -R at 8.  Wouldn't it be better to use +R then?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:48:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Nonono, not you QuietShooter, I was talking to Zaphod.

Quoted:
No, I'm not an officer.... conflicting information is fucking me up!

I'm on the right path now, and after I get Nero and Dvdshrink up and running I'll give an update...

SSG QS

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:50:35 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
That's crap.
You don't need shit to do a back-up with DVD Shrink except use it.

Quoted:  A free version is DVDShrink...again you have to have your own decryption of CSS.  I'd say the most well-known of these is DeCSS...it's free and you'll need about 10GB of free hard drive space.

*kicks outdated shrink*

*realizes that Winston Wolf was telling the truth about the joy of kicking shrinks*

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:50:37 PM EDT
[#30]
You have a 16X speed burner?
Wow....

FWIW, use the media that your computer/stand alone DVD player will be able to read.
All of my computers/stand alone DVD players can read + or - media.
I go with what's cheaper.

Quoted:
one more tag-along question, what media is best to use?  My burner says it does +R at 16x but -R at 8.  Wouldn't it be better to use +R then?

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:50:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Depends on what plays in your DVD player; I've has most luck with -R.

BTW, your DVD player plays at 1X, so speed really doesn't matter; alot of the time, depending on your setup, burning at high speed doesn't work and you have to slow it down.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:52:47 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Both formats will work fine in most newer DVD players, but if your DVD player is older go to:

www.videohelp.com/

Look in the DVD player section for your player to see what DVD recordable formats are compatible with it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 1:12:39 PM EDT
[#33]
tagged, because I'm a DVD burnless idiot too.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 1:25:31 PM EDT
[#34]
On a totally unrelated note, this has nothing to do with the thread and I'm not implying anything...but...Block Buster has an Unlimited Movie Pass for $24.95 per month.  You can get as many movies as you want during the month but can only have 2 rented at the same time.  Assuming you can watch 2 movies in 4 hours and Blockbuster is open 14 hours a day, you can easily record I mean watch 6 movies a day.  I have a sick friend at home who has been using the movie pass, that's how I know this.  

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 1:29:12 PM EDT
[#35]
DVd-R seems to be the most compatible with players out there.
You have a 16X burner? Great. Problem is discs rated for 16X are expensive and hard to find. I use Ritex 8X excuslively and havent had a coaster in months..
Your burning speed really doesn't make much difference, because ripping the DVD's takes the most time, usually 20-30 minutes, while burning is less than 20..

I use DVD Shrink and Clone DVD..
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 1:29:43 PM EDT
[#36]
COCKBUSTER SUCKS SHIT!!!

Get Netflix.

Quoted:
On a totally unrelated note, this has nothing to do with the thread and I'm not implying anything...but...Block Buster has an Unlimited Movie Pass for $24.95 per month.  You can get as many movies as you want during the month but can only have 2 rented at the same time.  Assuming you can watch 2 movies in 4 hours and Blockbuster is open 14 hours a day, you can easily record I mean watch 6 movies a day.  I have a sick friend at home who has been using the movie pass, that's how I know this.  

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 1:39:22 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
It's a TDK internal drive, and it came bundled with Roxio DVD burner software.  I'm gonna need that X-dvd thing, I think.

Edit - I'll try the above...

DVD shrink is great, it removes regions and doesn't add the 'this is a backup'.

Edited to add: I tried copying a DVD Xcopy Platinum backup with DVD Xcopy Platinum and it wouldn't. Switched to DVD Shrink.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 1:45:50 PM EDT
[#38]
tagged
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 1:54:25 PM EDT
[#39]
All your questions can be answered at this site, AfterDawn
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:06:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:43:26 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Are you an OFFICER?
I posted the link to DVD Shrink 13 posts ago...

RTFP!

Quoted:
Good grief!

Thanks...

Oh, blow it out your ass!

Here's the direct link, for those who don't enjoy digging through the web: Download
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:44:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:45:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:46:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:48:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:49:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:58:10 PM EDT
[#47]
HAHAHAHAHAAA!

Quoted:
Oh, blow it out your ass!

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 3:00:29 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
COCKBUSTER SUCKS SHIT!!!

Get Netflix.

Quoted:

With Netflix you can get 3 movies at a time, have to wait for them to be mailed to you and wait for the new ones to be mailed back.  It takes about 5 days to get the movies turned around.  Even at their most expensive level of 8 movies out at a time you can only average 1 movie per day and that is only 6 days a week because of no mail on Sunday.

Blockbuster is 3 minutes away from me.  I can easily get 4 movies a day, 7 days a week.

So max of 30 movies from Netflix or 180 from Blockbuster.  It's a pretty easy choice to make.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top