Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/18/2001 10:22:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/18/2001 10:18:02 AM EDT by goneshootin]
Waging war by remote control First use of armed drones heralds ‘revolution’ in warfare Oct. 18 — The United States is for the first time flying armed, unmanned aircraft into combat and controlling them with operators in the United States thousands of miles from the battlefield in Afghanistan, Defense Department officials said yesterday. [url]http://www.msnbc.com/news/644281.asp[/url] *edited to fix url
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 10:31:57 AM EDT
Very cool technology. They should cruise the local arcades and gamer websites for recruits.[:D] Still making up my mind on the use of CIA people operating it vs the Air Force personnel.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 10:36:32 AM EDT
Learning Channel had a show last night about al the military's new toys. Extreme Machine, they had some wild stuff on there. Hovering helicopter types with montion sensors, tiny plane with a wingspan of 6" types with cameras, land types built on a Land Rover jeeps, and ATVs. All remote controlled, wild stuff.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 10:41:21 AM EDT
Few thoughts... Jamming. Can these be jammed like the radars of conventional jets? Can they be over-ridden and have someone take control? If these fly at lower attitude they might be shot down more often without dropping their payload or firing their missle. Sure it is less expensive than losing a persons life but in the long run, it might be more expensive.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 11:21:48 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 12:04:32 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 7: Few thoughts... Jamming. Can these be jammed like the radars of conventional jets? Can they be over-ridden and have someone take control? If these fly at lower attitude they might be shot down more often without dropping their payload or firing their missle. Sure it is less expensive than losing a persons life but in the long run, it might be more expensive.
View Quote
I don't think they use radar for navigation. I think the radar is for the Hellfire missile. Navigation is handled visually and through the use of its on-board GPS. The datalink is encrypted, via a downlink from a satellite. If the datalink fails, it's programmed to return home. Since the datalink is encrypted, it's highly unlikely that someone can take control of it. It's not an RC model airplane. I guess the worst case scenario is someone blocks its datalink and it turns around and flys home.
Top Top