Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2002 11:25:30 PM EDT
[size=4]Shortage of Gun Locks Halts Firearms Sales[/size=4]

1/24/2002

A shortage of trigger locks has prevented some gun dealers in California from selling firearms, the Los Angeles Daily News reported Jan. 12.

Under a new state law that took effect Jan. 1, gun locks are required on all weapons made, bought, or transferred in the state. But a shortage of gun locks has prevented many dealers from selling firearms for several months.

"I'm having to tie up money unnecessarily for firearms that I can't sell because they don't have the right locks," said Robert Kahn, owner of B&B Sales in North Hollywood.

Under the law, dealers who sell a gun without a lock could face a $1,000 fine for the first offense and possible closure of their business for a third offense.

National Rifle Association lawyer Chuck Michel of San Pedro said dealers weren't notified about the new requirements until Dec. 13. "They're frantically trying to do what they can to be able to stay in business," Michel said. "They're losing a big percentage of their business."

Sen. Jack Scott (D-Pasadena), who co-authored the law, said he would introduce an urgency measure to postpone the deadline for some types of rifles and shotguns that currently don't have state-approved locks. But Scott disputed gun dealers' claims that the law is forcing them out of business.

"It's a bogus claim," he said. "Gun owners were told about the law. They were warned about it. Some gun dealers just don't like the bother of it."

Scott added, "I'm not trying to impede the sale of guns. It does raise the price a little, but the prevention of death and injury is worth all the cost that's involved."

[url]enews.millionmommarch.org/plugin.jtml?siteID=MMM&p=1&Tab=News&Object_ID=547824[/url]
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 1:36:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Scott added, "I'm not trying to impede the sale of guns. It does raise the price a little, but the prevention of death and injury is worth all the cost that's involved."

So, what can we do to mess up YOUR pocket book???  Eh, Senator?
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 3:40:20 AM EDT
[#2]
View Quote

And if you believe that you'll buy this watch.

Personally, I think the antis will win through the use of taxes/fees.

Eddie
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 4:22:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Barbra Streisand! I think that the RKBA will always be around, 'cause as the sig line on some fellow over at AK47.net used to say:

[size=4]F***'em, we're the ones with the guns![/size=4]

'Course if you're ever tempted to give up your guns, call me first and I will dispose of them in a manner that would be approved by our Founding Fathers.

Eric The(Heh-heh)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 4:49:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Hey, you forgot about the "Sorry NICS is down, we can't sell you a gun today". Thankfully I have a CHL and don't have to put up with a background check everytime, but many others aren't as lucky.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 4:58:14 AM EDT
[#5]
But the march of history is in favor of personal rights, not against them.

It's the [b]'evil empires'[/b] of this world that are pushing complete disarmament of their citizenry!

All we have to do is to fight a delaying action until history catches up with these people!

As it did [b]after[/b] Sept 11!

After that date, just try and pry the guns out of a bunch of soccer moms who now have real hardware to protects their kiddies!

And every weekend more are coming over to the gun side of the march of history.

How can the sheeple be disarmed once they've seen Old Farmer Bin Laden sharpening his bloody shears?

Eric The(Optimistic)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 10:45:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Sen. Scott of The Peoples' Republic of California should consider the usefulness(or uselessness)of trigger locks. Aside from making a decent target at 200m, these things are worthless, and have not been proven to prevent injury or death except in the case of the gun owner who's desparatley trying to get the f**king thing off as he or she is being assaulted. Of course another dead gun owner is perfectly acceptable to the DNC.

Sen. Scott should consider state-approved trigger locks, 10 rd mags, and 30 day waits for members of his staff that protect him.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 11:46:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 2:19:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
To top that off, the friggin' lock was [B]MADE IN CHINA !!![/B]
View Quote

WTO, the gift that keeps on giving.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 4:11:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Problem Solved!
Charge a deposit on the lock. Once the new purchaser leaves the store, they turn around and "sell" the lock back to dealer.
What do you all think??
We need to to be smarter than the enemy
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 6:13:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I thought we just needed to sign an affidavit saying we owned a qualifying safe.  We all do, don't we? [;)]
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 7:08:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 7:21:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Actually, you want to know how they'll get our guns?  They'll tax the shit out of ammunition.  One day the hippies of all factions will get together.  They'll get the EPA to do a study on the effects of gun smoke in the atmosphere and environment surrounding gun ranges as well as a long term impact study on green house gases and mining costs on the environment.  Then Washington in all its glory will stamp a 3000% tax on all ammunition sold.  It'll have the effect of stopping the industry.  Ammunition makers will go out of business as well as arms manufacturers, and we'll all be passing down the cool looking paper weights to our kids.  

Oh yeah, the ironic thing is that the homosexual tree huggers will still bitch about a lack of gun locks in the world and how 200 kids are killed each day from firearms.  

Next on their agenda is unpruned trees and the impact they have on kids that fall out of them from high heights.  But it won't be the tree's fault, it'll be the owner who didn't lock the barbed wire fence around the trunk!
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 8:01:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Next on their agenda is unpruned trees and the impact they have on kids that fall out of them from high heights.  But it won't be the tree's fault, it'll be the owner who didn't lock the barbed wire fence around the trunk!
View Quote

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH. Mmm, transfer-of-blame, revisionism, mmm... Kalifornia
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 10:39:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 10:21:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH. Mmm, transfer-of-blame, revisionism, mmm... Kalifornia
View Quote

I'm not really sure of what you're saying, I live in a state where the laws don't ass ream the constituents, so please explain!  I'm looking at job offers from CA, so I need to know this stuff!  
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 10:44:48 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm not really sure of what you're saying, I live in a state where the laws don't ass ream the constituents, so please explain! I'm looking at job offers from CA, so I need to know this stuff!
View Quote

I was under the impression NY was pretty bad too.  Maybe that's just NYC though.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 11:32:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm not really sure of what you're saying, I live in a state where the laws don't ass ream the constituents, so please explain! I'm looking at job offers from CA, so I need to know this stuff!
View Quote

I was under the impression NY was pretty bad too.  Maybe that's just NYC though.
View Quote

in NYC there basically is no such thing as real gun ownership. but in the state, things arent that bad. but getting worse. the aw ban is perminant in this state..

if hes going to kali its like jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire..
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 11:49:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It's the [b]'evil empires'[/b] of this world that are pushing complete disarmament of their citizenry!

All we have to do is to fight a delaying action until history catches up with these people!

After that date, just try and pry the guns out of a bunch of soccer moms who now have real hardware to protects their kiddies!

How can the sheeple be disarmed once they've seen Old Farmer Bin Laden sharpening his bloody shears?

View Quote

I like your optimism, but sheeple have a very short memory.  Soon those same soccer moms will decide that the gov't will take care of them again and that they acted rashly by purchasing a gun.  Baaahhhhh.....
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 12:06:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Problem Solved!
Charge a deposit on the lock. Once the new purchaser leaves the store, they turn around and "sell" the lock back to dealer.
What do you all think??
We need to to be smarter than the enemy
View Quote

Sounds good at first, but this new gun lock law requires that the transferring FFL attach a copy of the dated receipt for the gun lock to his records, which must be kept of file subject to DOJ inspection for 5 years. The receipt must state the make and model of the particular gun it is to be used with.

I get the impression the lawmaking morons actually sat around and tried to figure out how people might try to take advangate of potential loopholes, then they wrote this stupid law accordingly. [rolleyes]
View Quote

Maybe, but the Gun stores aren't required to guarantee that the lock will be permanently sold for that gun are they?  They just have to specify what gun the lock was sold with.  

So if I come into the store and buy a gun, I get a lock sold to me also.  I now have a record of the gun sales, and the lock sales.  I can then sell the lock back to the store without a record.  After all I am not selling them the gun too!

The lock goes back to the shelf from whence it came, to be sold to another customer.  This transaction will go on another piece of paper, and the cycle goes on...

Now, we have 250 guns sold of assorted makes and models, and 250 locks sold of a perticular make and model.  Paperwork is all in place, everybody is happy.

The only possible pitfall is that locks might have a SN# marked on them, but even so, is there a law governing trigger lock sales?  Even if thousands of records referenced the same trigger lock SN#, what's a LE to do?  They would have to write an even more ridiculous trigger lock control law!  Think about that for a minute!
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 12:09:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

I like your optimism, but sheeple have a very short memory.  Soon those same soccer moms will decide that the gov't will take care of them again and that they acted rashly by purchasing a gun.  Baaahhhhh.....
View Quote

Chim -

ETH is right, IMO.

In Britain and in Australia, gun crimes are on the rise since their gun bans.

Across the US, gun accidents are on the decline.

In CCW states, gun crimes are on the decline, and CCW holders are being proven to be MORE law abiding that the general populace.

We (the pro gunners) are more politically active and better organized than ever before.

In ten years, we'll have ALL the statistical evidence we need to make our case.

The soccer moms that acted out of fear and bought a gun WILL NOT forget that fear. Remember, many conservatives USED TO BE liberals, but then they got mugged.

I see a VERY bright future. But  remember - eternal vigilance has ALWAYS been the price of liberty.

ETERNAL vigilance.

Link Posted: 1/28/2002 1:04:34 PM EDT
[#21]
I really hope you guys are right.  It just kills me how the libs are so apt to blatently ignore any statistics or logical arguments.  Maybe I'm just being too much of a pessimist.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 1:19:11 PM EDT
[#22]
man I feel for you guys, realy i agree with paul if you have kids in the house unload the gun and put it in a safe. but the way you guys
have to register and lock them up iam sooooo
glad i live in indiana.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 1:36:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I really hope you guys are right.  It just kills me how the libs are so apt to blatently ignore any statistics or logical arguments.  Maybe I'm just being too much of a pessimist.
View Quote

Hey-

If pessimism keeps you pissed off and active in defense of our gun rights, far be it from me to brighten your day. [:D]

IMO, the Leftists far out claims, lies, deceptions, ignoring of statistics and full out run from any logic in the discussion is their undoing.

People are beginning to see what kooks they are.

And let me repeat - ETERNAL vigilance is the price of liberty.

Link Posted: 1/28/2002 1:40:22 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm going to buy a bigass damn safe.  Wells Fargo Bank pissed me off by flatly refusing to accept a $100 3rd party check FOR DEPOSIT.  That has given me the impetus to close out all of my checking, savings, and credit card accounts plus two safe-deposit boxes.  The savings on box rental and gun locks will pay for the safe in 8 - 10 years.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 9:31:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 11:04:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'm going to buy a bigass damn safe.  Wells Fargo Bank pissed me off by flatly refusing to accept a $100 3rd party check FOR DEPOSIT.  That has given me the impetus to close out all of my checking, savings, and credit card accounts plus two safe-deposit boxes.  The savings on box rental and gun locks will pay for the safe in 8 - 10 years.
View Quote

Wells Fargo, what a POS bank.  Happiest day of my life is when I pulled several grand out and switched to a credit union.  Bastards wanted to charge me a fee just to get it in a check so I told them to give me cash as I was not giving them another red cent.  

CK- Find out how you can, and then join a credit union, you will be much happier.  And get a big ass safe as well, got mine last year and you really do sleep much better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top