Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2009 7:20:34 AM EDT
School district adds African-Americans to its calendar

September 18, 2009 By JOIE TYRRELL  [email protected]

The Port Washington school district has reprinted copies of the 2009-10 school calendar sent home to residents after receiving a complaint from a parent angered that the calendar failed to include any photographs of African-American children.

Nola Smith said her son, who is 10 years old and entering the sixth grade at Weber Middle School, said the omission made her son "feel not important."

Port Washington school officials said the omission was a "mistake that will never happen again." The district said it regretted the error and that it has printed another 100 calendars that include photographs reflecting the African-American population of the school district, which is about 2 percent. The calendars will be available to district residents who request one, but school officials said it would have been too expensive to reprint and remail about 4,000 copies, the amount originally distributed.

Smith said the district should have sent the revised calendar to all residents. She said she also spoke to school officials about the matter. "I would think they would say, 'OK, we apologize,' and send a new version of the calendar out," Smith said.

According to Regina Farinaccio, the district's manager of community services, the calendar had included two photographs of African-American children but the two photos were inadvertently cut in the final editing process of making the school calendar.

Photos that feature African-American children as well as representatives of the district's other diverse student groups have been included on the district Web site. All of the diverse nationalities present in the district are featured in the back-to-school photos, Farinaccio said.

The new calendars are available at district offices and can be obtained by any resident who wants one. The revised calendars will also be available at Board of Education meetings.

"We really regret that this happened," Farinaccio said.

Holy shit, you mean people take the time to LOOK for shit like that?  Who would've noticed anyway? I think that lady has way too much time on her hands to go through an entire school calendar looking for black kids.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:23:33 AM EDT
[#1]

How about a school calendar that just has Black kids in it.... what happens then?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:47:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
[span style='font-style: italic;']

Holy shit, you mean people take the time to LOOK for shit like that?  Who would've noticed anyway? I think that lady has way too much time on her hands to go through an entire school calendar looking for black kids.

ME!!!

I used to do it all the time, just for fun.

Back in the early 1990's, just as "cultural representation" was being promoted, I worked for a sign company that did a shit-ton of work with a few ad agencies.

It was pretty common while installing displays, to notice the graphics that; A) Had minorities OVERLY-represented, and B) Had minorities nowhere in sight.

One BIG job I had was worth about $65,000, and was located in a prominent DT Minneapolis building...there were NO minorities shown ANYWHERE on the project.

After we had installed the job, the designer came down to give his approval...and he loved it.

First of all, I did not like the designer...Typical anal-retentive shit-don't stink liberal designer....So, I decided to have some fun with him.

As he was stroking himself about the new display and sign package, I walked up to him and said that "there were a few people that had walked by" during the install. I mentioned that the "few people" seemed to be really upset about the lack of minorities in the display...which was lie.

The look on the guys face was absolutely priceless, as if he had killed his own mother.

The customer, within 24 hours, ended-up ordering another $7,500 worth of graphics and installation to "fix the problem"...And I got a HUGE bonus for the "upsell".

I also used to tell designers that the "ADA Police" would find them if they messed-up.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:53:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

How about a school calendar that just has Black kids in it.... what happens then?

Then the Hispanic groups would be in an uproar.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:54:10 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

They'd call it a "line up."

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:03:47 AM EDT
[#5]
I always notice this stuff in ads.  There will usually be one white person and a few asian and black people. Multiculturalism, can you feel it?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top