BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/14/2005 7:11:58 AM EDT
Religious McDonald's Sign Draws Attention In Raleigh
Woman Asks Restaurant To Remove Sign, 'Jesus Is The Reason For The Season'
http://www.wral.com/news/5532271/detail.html

POSTED: 7:16 am EST December 14, 2005
UPDATED: 10:25 am EST December 14, 2005

RALEIGH, N.C. -- Everyone celebrates religion and holidays in their own individual ways, but currently there are questions about whether the two should be more connected. One of the latest places involved in the controversy is a McDonald's restaurant in Raleigh.

The sign at McDonald's on the corner of Falls of Neuse and Spring Forest Road reads: "Merry Christmas, Jesus is the Reason for the Season." It is a holiday message that Amanda Alpert thinks comes on a little too strongly.

"It offends me because it specifically talks about Jesus, Merry Christmas. It doesn't give credit to anyone else," Alpert said.

Alpert called the McDonald's corporate office in Atlanta and requested that the sign be changed to the politically correct Happy Holidays. The response was the owner has the right to do what she wants with the sign.

"I care because I'm Jewish, and the reason for the season is upsetting to me," Alpert said.

None of the drivers WRAL spoke to were offended by the sign.

"I've always known it to be Merry Christmas, and it is Jesus' birthday," said Tom David of Smithfield.

It's a debate that's struck a chord nationally and locally. The White House Christmas card surprised some with its "Happy Holiday Season" message. A proposed nativity scene in Raleigh recently drew a crowd at council chambers.

McDonald's managers say the sign has been good for business. They say church groups have stopped by to eat, and some people who usually don't eat food from McDonald's have stopped by because of the sign. The store's owner did not return WRAL's calls.

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:14:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't fucking eat there then. Jesus Christ PEOPLE!

Everybody thinking they have a right to not be offended pisses me off, and I'm agnostic.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:16:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Oh good God.  (No pun intended.)

They don't just want to kill Christmas on government property.  Now they want to kill it on private property too.  I guess he'll be going door-to-door asking people to take down their Christmas lights too.

I'm not religious at all, and I LOVE Christmas!  This guy needs to chill out.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:17:39 AM EDT
[#3]
But don't fuck with HER jewish holidays or there will be hell to pay buddy!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:18:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Maybe he doesn't like to be reminded that the Jews killed Jesus.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:18:48 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Religious McDonald's Sign Draws Attention In Raleigh
Woman Asks Restaurant To Remove Sign, 'Jesus Is The Reason For The Season'
http://www.wral.com/news/5532271/detail.html

POSTED: 7:16 am EST December 14, 2005
UPDATED: 10:25 am EST December 14, 2005

RALEIGH, N.C. -- Everyone celebrates religion and holidays in their own individual ways, but currently there are questions about whether the two should be more connected. One of the latest places involved in the controversy is a McDonald's restaurant in Raleigh.

The sign at McDonald's on the corner of Falls of Neuse and Spring Forest Road reads: "Merry Christmas, Jesus is the Reason for the Season." It is a holiday message that Amanda Alpert thinks comes on a little too strongly.

"It offends me because it specifically talks about Jesus, Merry Christmas. It doesn't give credit to anyone else," Alpert said. Like who, asshole?

Alpert called the McDonald's corporate office in Atlanta and requested that the sign be changed to the politically correct Happy Holidays. The response was the owner has the right to do what she wants with the sign.

"I care because I'm Jewish, and the reason for the season is upsetting to me," Alpert said. I'm Christian, you don't see me bitching about Hanaka or Yom Kippur.

None of the drivers WRAL spoke to were offended by the sign.

"I've always known it to be Merry Christmas, and it is Jesus' birthday," said Tom David of Smithfield.

It's a debate that's struck a chord nationally and locally. The White House Christmas card surprised some with its "Happy Holiday Season" message. A proposed nativity scene in Raleigh recently drew a crowd at council chambers.

McDonald's managers say the sign has been good for business. They say church groups have stopped by to eat, and some people who usually don't eat food from McDonald's have stopped by because of the sign. The store's owner did not return WRAL's calls.

images.ibsys.com/2005/1214/5532477_240X180.jpg

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:20:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Is she a JAP or JUST A BITCH???
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:20:59 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

They don't just want to kill Christmas on government property.  Now they want to kill it on private property too.  I guess he'll be going door-to-door asking people to take down their Christmas lights too.

Duh, everyone (including you and I) would like to see the world made in our image.. so to speak.

I'm not religious at all, and I LOVE Christmas!  This guy needs to chill out.

Merry Christmas!

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:22:14 AM EDT
[#8]
These people need to be put back in line. Seriously, when was the last attack on a jewish or muslim or black holiday because it offends others? Get over it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:23:10 AM EDT
[#9]
"It offends me because it specifically talks about Jesus, Merry Christmas. It doesn't give credit to anyone else," Alpert said.

Fuck off and die bitch...it's a private business, they can do whatever the hell they want
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:24:33 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
These people need to be put back in line. Seriously, when was the last attack on a jewish or muslim or black holiday because it offends others? Get over it.

Yup, they take themselves too seriously.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:26:05 AM EDT
[#11]
I've been here too long...When I bought my Christmas tree at the place I've gone to for years, the girl thanked me for my business and said, "Happy Holidays."

I looked at her and said, "It's ok for you to wish me a Merry Christmas...that's no Hunukah bush my husband is throwing in the back of his pick up, you know."
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:28:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Want to bet that Miz Alpert just recently moved to Raleigh and is trying to bring her f'd up NE/urban values to the bible belt.  It's not going to happen sweetie.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:29:08 AM EDT
[#13]
I'll take a McMary and a side oder of wise men.

I say we bludgen her with the jawbone on an ass.

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:30:20 AM EDT
[#14]
As usual, this only serves to demonstrate that some folks have wa-a-a-ay too much free time.  If McDonald's offends her, maybe she can get her butt in the kitchen and get me a sammich!  
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:32:02 AM EDT
[#15]
I do not normally swear in my posts, but this person can

Fuck Off and Die!   I am sure there is a totally secular mickey-d's right around that corner that could suit her needs.   GRRRRRR!!!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:34:05 AM EDT
[#16]
"Offended consumer"=My pussy's hurtin liberal
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:34:44 AM EDT
[#17]
In the news: Santa banned from Christmas for having the same letters as satan, more at 11
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:36:54 AM EDT
[#18]
And the handbasket picks up speed...

SG

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:38:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'm not religious at all, and I LOVE Christmas!  This guy needs to chill out.[/quote

How long till they're calling them holiday lights?
I hate fucking hippy liberals and people who think they can dictate what others do on their own property.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:40:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Sounds like she has snow in her vagina.

Honestly, no one could be really offended by that sign. people who do this shit are either attention whores or they have an agenda.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:41:33 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I'll take a McMary and a side oder of wise men.

I say we bludgen her with the jawbone on an ass.

So you're saying we should bludgen her with her own jaw bone?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:44:34 AM EDT
[#22]
She needs to go light up her menorah, spin her dreidel, and STFU.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:45:01 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Is she a JAP or JUST A BITCH???

I think they are synonymous.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:50:35 AM EDT
[#24]
They need to show her pic.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:51:46 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Don't fucking eat there then. Jesus Christ PEOPLE!

Everybody thinking they have a right to not be offended pisses me off, and I'm agnostic.

big +1, me too.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:54:17 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
They need to show her pic.

She was on the tube, white, 30-40ish, fugly, dyke haircut as I recall.  nothing special, probably would get a 3 on "Hot or Not"
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:54:33 AM EDT
[#27]
If you give a child an inch....
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:21:56 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
If you give a child an inch....

Bow-chikka-wo- Oh wait, wrong topic.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top