Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2010 10:16:45 AM EDT
That is all.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:23:01 AM EDT
[#1]
doesnt seem to work for me. Is it beta or live?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:23:37 AM EDT
[#2]
you talking about the "I'm feeling lucky" button?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:24:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

google is taking out the 'lucky' button in favor of real-time searches as your typing. its only in beta for certain users as of now. google looses 110 million a year by letting users use the lucky button.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:25:30 AM EDT
[#4]
It was just released - and like all Google stuff, will probably roll out over the next few days.

It's live on my desk and it's sweet.

Basically you start typing the first letter of something ('w' for 'weather' for example) and it instantly starts searching for that.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/08/google-announces-google-instant-search/
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:25:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

google is taking out the 'lucky' button in favor of real-time searches as your typing. its only in beta for certain users as of now. google looses 110 million a year by letting users use the lucky button.

How does one become one of those certain users?  Because it's doing it for me and I didn't sign up for anything.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:26:38 AM EDT
[#6]
I would like it more if you didn't have to be signed in to search. But it is a nice improvement. Coming from a software engineering background, it is quite the challenging project..
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:27:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How does one become one of those certain users?  Because it's doing it for me and I didn't sign up for anything.

Are you talking about the suggestion box? Thats not what he's talking about.

if you're NOT talking about the suggestion box and its something 'new' or 'different' then google automatically signed you up. They just pick users.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:28:53 AM EDT
[#8]
w?
h?
 a?
  t?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:29:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

if you're NOT talking about the suggestion box and its something 'new' or 'different' then google automatically signed you up. They just pick users.

Not the suggestion box.  When I start typing (for example I want to search "the world's bounciest titties") it will bring up a page of results for "the," then a page for "the world's," then a page for "the world's bounciest," and finally a page for "the world's bounciest titties," and I'm on my way.  Fancy stuff, I'll tell you what.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:30:49 AM EDT
[#10]
I can't stand the new setup. I've tried opting out via search settings, but it won't take hold. I'm now using bing.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:31:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not the suggestion box.  When I start typing (for example I want to search "the world's bounciest titties") it will bring up a page of results for "the," then a page for "the world's," then a page for "the world's bounciest," and finally a page for "the world's bounciest titties," and I'm on my way.  Fancy stuff, I'll tell you what.

yeah I just logged into my google account too, looks like it's live for all registered and singed in users now

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:32:25 AM EDT
[#12]
just wait until Google has become self aware , i just tried it and indeed it is awesome that keeps refreshing with every word i type

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:35:06 AM EDT
[#13]
It doesn't work over ssl.

Hopefully that's fixed, until then I won't use it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:35:56 AM EDT
[#14]
That's pretty cool.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:36:30 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I can't stand the new setup. I've tried opting out via search settings, but it won't take hold. I'm now using bing.

Same here. I've really enjoyed bing.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:37:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Ok, this is pretty sweet.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:39:14 AM EDT
[#17]
I changed my serach to bing and it does the same thing on the upper right search bar in IE...
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:40:51 AM EDT
[#18]
This is new? It's been doing that for me for probably years now.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:40:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

yeah, one of my comps went to some beta shit i could not change.

I quit using google.

Wonder how much they lose now?  Fuck em.

TXL
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:41:43 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I changed my serach to bing and it does the same thing on the upper right search bar in IE...

That just predicts your query, this thing predicts the results as you type out your search term.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:43:09 AM EDT
[#21]
I was wondering what the hell had happened.....
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:44:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:45:58 AM EDT
[#23]
I don't see much utility in it, but it is a neat toy.  Maybe I'll come around.

They seem to have blacklisted certain words.  Try "vagina" "fuck" etc and see what happens.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:47:27 AM EDT
[#24]
"Feelings of weightlessness and euphoria are normal.  Don't be alarmed."

True that.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:55:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
just wait until Google has become self aware , i just tried it and indeed it is awesome that keeps refreshing with every word i type  

What makes you think it isn't already self aware?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:00:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Fucking Sweet!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:03:51 AM EDT
[#27]
A

N

A

L

"AHHH OMGWTFBBQ!!!! i was typing 'analysis'!!! "
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:08:53 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What makes you think it isn't already self aware?

because im not ready for over 6 feet tall terminators  yet

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:30:49 AM EDT
[#29]
I've de-googled my Android phone as step one of the 12 Step Program.

ETA: Google has been doing this for a while.  Problem is that I type fast enough that it's usually to slow to make predictions.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:56:14 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ETA: Google has been doing this for a while.  Problem is that I type fast enough that it's usually to slow to make predictions.

No it hasn't.

This is completely different and was just revealed today.

You're think of it auto-completing the words.  Now, it takes those auto-completed words and starts searching on them as you type it - thus displaying a list of search material relevant to the word you're typing.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:07:12 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No it hasn't.

You're think of it auto-completing the words.  Now, it takes those auto-completed words and starts searching on them as you type it - thus displaying a list of search material relevant to the word you're typing.

I'm confused then.  Is this not the same as the search suggestions that begin auto populating in the FireFox google search bar?  The bar shows both suggestions and previous searches as you type.

I know for a fact that I've seen it happen on the google.com web page but it hasn't been consistent and it wasn't previous autofill stuff either.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:09:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I don't see much utility in it, but it is a neat toy.  Maybe I'll come around.

They seem to have blacklisted certain words.  Try "vagina" "fuck" etc and see what happens.

Here is your answer:
Link to article
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:10:00 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No it hasn't.

I'm confused then.  Is this not the same as the search suggestions that begin auto populating in the FireFox google search bar?  The bar shows both suggestions and previous searches as you type.

This takes search suggestions and begins automatically searching on them.

Step 1 - Navigate to google.com

Step 2 - Start typing something.  Let's say I'm typing weather.

Step 3 - Google sees the 'w', notices that it commonly leads to a "weather" search, and AUTOMATICALLY searches the weather in your location.

Here's how Engadget describes it:

"Boom! One press of the "w" key brought up local weather results
instantaneously. Google's also integrated a predictive algorithm into
Instant, which it describes as a "psychic element ... in that we're able
to predict what you're going to type. Google becomes search before
you type." Scroll to search is another touted feature, whereby going up
or down through the suggested dropbox searches (as in the image above)
also automatically updates your results in line with the suggestion
you've got highlighted."

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:55:13 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No it hasn't.

This takes search suggestions and begins automatically searching on them.

Step 1 - Navigate to google.com

Step 2 - Start typing something.  Let's say I'm typing weather.

Step 3 - Google sees the 'w', notices that it commonly leads to a "weather" search, and AUTOMATICALLY searches the weather in your location.

Here's how Engadget describes it:

"Boom! One press of the "w" key brought up local weather results instantaneously. Google's also integrated a predictive algorithm into Instant, which it describes as a "psychic element ... in that we're able to predict what you're going to type. Google becomes search before you type." Scroll to search is another touted feature, whereby going up or down through the suggested dropbox searches (as in the image above) also automatically updates your results in line with the suggestion you've got highlighted."  
I apologize.  I just did another google search from their page a few seconds ago and see what you are talking about.  A couple hours ago it was working as it always had.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top