Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2006 6:26:52 AM EDT
I've been watching all week. It seems that this time their desire for the buck became just too obvious to me. One bidder was asked to acutally raise his final bid by $200.000 or so on that GM show car Bonnevile so they could end it on 3 million like last time and beat the record.

Other bidders got cajoled, intimidated and ridiculed so as to get the bids higher. Example: "How can you let that internet guy that you can't even see out bid you?"

Other examples were when the bidding stopped and someone had obviously won the auction and it should have been long ago been gaveled but because they weren't getting the money they wanted, they just halted and did more promotions and intimidations before continuing.

In other examples, the auctioneer would jump the asking bids in ridiculous increments in an attempt to raise the level to where they wanted it to be.

Anyone else notice how unprofessional this auction was compared to their usual professionalism? ... or was it just me?

M4-AK
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:28:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:30:45 AM EDT
[#2]
age-old auctioneering.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:35:15 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
age-old auctioneering.

Really, you think so? I felt they leapfrogged over the line myself, but just my two cents. The bidders sometimes looked to me like tourists being hit on by Gypsie Pickpockets at times.

M4-AK
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:43:54 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I watched a bit of it. It looked more like a circus and a Carol Shelby jerk off session than an auction.

I saw the Shelby 2007 GT Mustang for charity auction.   OK, Shelby was great back in his day, but what has he done lately besides licensing out his name?  Watched some more auctions, some of the B-J people would get in bidder's face to cajole them to bid more.  Seemed like a circus, yeah
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:55:42 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
age-old auctioneering.

Really, you think so? I felt they leapfrogged over the line myself, but just my two cents. The bidders sometimes looked to me like tourists being hit on by Gypsie Pickpockets at times.

M4-AK

Well, I'm not watching the auction, but auctions have always been about getting the bottom dollar out of the bidders' hands by any and all means.

That's why good auctioneers command so much $$$ before the auction even starts.

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:59:12 AM EDT
[#6]
what  channel is  this on?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:04:58 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Speed Channel
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:10:29 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Speed Channel

We have luge [SP] here.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:28:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Bottom line is the auctioneers get 8% from the seller and 8% from the buyer. What the heck 16% so when the Hemi Cuda sold for 2million they get a 320K commission. They Sold 40 million yesterday @16% is 6.4million in commissions for 1 day. Not to mention the bidders had to pay an additional fee to bid.  They stopped the bidding when it stalled on many cars to jackup the price when the car should have been sold.  But to me it's just a bunch of rich people getting fleeced. You can built a lot of 454 Chevelles, 69 Camaros 427 Vettes and Hemi whatevers for the prices they were getting. Not to mention the admission fees, vendors.
This event goes on for what 9 days. Yes, they have expenses but they probably will make 20 million or so selling. It's the free enterprise system. But Holy Shit 4.5million for a BUS!
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:55:33 AM EDT
[#10]
You watched a USED CAR SALESMAN (regardless of the fact that it was an auction) try to get as much money out of his customer as he could.  

That is all.

AFARR
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:16:28 AM EDT
[#11]
This is my first year watching it (never had cable before), but I'm really enjoying it. They do push hard, but if I was the seller I'd appreciate that.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:38:42 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I watched a bit of it. It looked more like a circus and a Carol Shelby jerk off session than an auction.

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:50:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Typical auction behavior. If it takes 30 seconds of cajoling to get an extra 5 grand out of a car, good for them. If I had a numbers matching musclecar for sale in show condition, that's where I would sell it. They have 4000 bidders there for the cars, they set the market.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:15:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Hello,

They do go a little overboard, but thats how high dollar car auctions go.  I've been to dozens of them(just looking of course).   The cars that deserve a high bid get low balled till the last minute and the polished turds get drug out forever.  Earlier this year I saw a '81 Mustang II go for $12K, there is absolutetly no market for that car ,even on the collector circut, to justify twelve grand, the high bidder was fucking clueless about the car other than it said Mustang on it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:20:27 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Earlier this year I saw a '81 Mustang II go for $12K

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:24:48 AM EDT
[#16]
You see that brunette working the bidder?

You never see both of her hands at the same time
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:25:10 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
You watched a USED CAR SALESMAN (regardless of the fact that it was an auction) try to get as much money out of his customer as he could.  

That is all.

AFARR

I think you've said it all. Somehow though I expected a little more polish out of their style than what they showed last night.

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:35:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Did any of you guys record it Saturday? I missed it, and would like to see it.

EDIT--Disregard. Taken care of on another B-J thread.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:57:11 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Earlier this year I saw a '81 Mustang II go for $12K

Ah yes, the "sporty" Pinto
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:01:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Craig Jackson always comes off as a shyster to me.  It's a good showcase but I wouldn't buy or sell there.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:16:50 AM EDT
[#21]
I noticed the same thing about the buyers being coerced in raising the bids $50,000-100,000 each time.

Then I realized, if these guys can afford to pay a million dollars for a 1960s muscle car then..

A-they know what the're doing and

B-Even if they don't what the're doing I shouldn't feel sorry for them and...

C-Car collectors are even goofier than gun collectors
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top