Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/3/2004 3:27:57 PM EDT
As a historical perspective on the idealogy of A. Hitler, I have considered reading Mein Kampf.  Any reason not to, and what should I expect?  Decent read?  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:30:23 PM EDT
[#1]
It is a horrible read.  It's confusing and rambling and doesn't really have a point, a beginning, or an end.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:31:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I hear it is horribly boring (unless you are a serious student of WWII history).  blah blah blah jews.  blah blah blah commies.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:32:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Anger... lots of anger.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:32:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Remember that Hitler dictated Mein Kampf, so it is a recording of his ideas as he spoke them rather than a targeted novel.  Also, the German dialect of that time was much more colorful than ours is today.  Reading the book will put you at odds with the man portrayed by history since WW2.

I would strongly recommend taking advice from people that have read the book rather than those who have simply heard about it.  Something akin to asking for AR15 advice from an airsofter (see the post following mine, for instance).
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:33:16 PM EDT
[#5]
it will knock about 10 pts off of your IQ
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:34:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Had to read it in college for a class.  As I recall, it was kinda disjointed.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:34:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I heard it was really boring.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:34:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Extremely disjointed and confusing. Lots of ramblings.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:35:29 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Remember that Hitler dictated Mein Kampf, so it is a recording of his ideas as he spoke them rather than a targeted novel.  Also, the German dialect of that time was much more colorful than ours is today.  Reading the book will put you at odds with the man portrayed by history since WW2.

I would strongly recommend taking advice from people that have read the book rather than those who have simply heard about it.  Something akin to asking for AR15 advice from an airsofter (see the post following mine, for instance).

I've read it.
Twice.
It still sucks.
Hitler was still crazy.

no matter how many times you cry Hitler is still nuts.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:36:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Expect to be BORED. I read about a third of it and couldn't stand it any more and just stopped reading. It's supposed to get interesting later on I guess, but I couldn't force myself to make it that far. Very drab read in my opinion.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:36:19 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
It is a horrible read.  It's confusing and rambling and doesn't really have a point, a beginning, or an end.

Yeah,I wanted to read it to get a unique perspective,but it is gawd-awfull and boring as hell.

Maybe it doesn't translate well,but whatever it is it just flat out sucks.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:50:02 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Maybe it doesn't translate well,but whatever it is it just flat out sucks.

My brother speaks German fluently and lived in Germany and Austria for 2 years.  He said it sucks in German too.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:21:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:21:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:22:04 PM EDT
[#15]
You could tell it was written by an egomaniac.  A 600 page book that should have been edited down to 300 or less.  Reminds me of Ayn Rand in that respect, no discipline as a writer.  The first half, the autobiographical portion, is interesting.  The second half is a rear snorer.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:34:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Your a nerd you need to call your girlfriend instead of reading a boring book.....
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:41:55 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Lots of words and few pictures.  Sure you're up to it?

That's pretty funny!

I have always been a WWII history buff, and I thought it may give a little more insight on Hitler.  However, after some of these reviews, I'm not so sure.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:49:31 PM EDT
[#18]
a long rambling rant. Read the Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. Long with tons of information and brillantly written. I loved it.

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:51:55 PM EDT
[#19]
A must read if you want some insight into the mind of this maniac.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:54:53 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:56:02 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Why?

There is nothing worthwhile at all in that ghastly book that merits anyone's attention.

I mean, unless you are writing a book on the man and need it for research.

Otherwise, read the Cliff's Notes on it if you are that interested.

BTW, I read it from cover-to-cover in High School and I thought is sucked out loud.

HOLY BIBLE

Eric The(Astounded)Hun

PONY_(DAdoesn'tEqualDistrictAttorney)DRIVER

Just to turn the tables on you.

I've never read Mein Kompf, I was diterred by a fried who said it was insufferably boring. Considering some of the stuff he read I took his advice and left well enough alone.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:57:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Mein Kampf stinks.  It is a giant POS like everybody says here.

If you really want a good historical read about Adolph Hitler, strap on The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William Shirer.  Not only could Shirer right, he was THERE in Germany as a staff reporter for the NYTs IIRC.  Shirer fled back to America just before the caca hit the blades in 194.  He had some great sources too, right within the Nazi Party leading thugs.  After the war, he went back to gather up what source documents he could and interviewed a ton of the Nazi bastards, including some just before they were hanged, in order to write his classic book.

I had to read it as an undergrad in a class called "Hitler's Europe" many years ago.

Great read too.  Long...but great.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:57:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Trivia question: Who was it that took Hitlers dictation of Mein Kampf while in prison?

(should be fairly easy... no Googling).
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:03:56 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Trivia question: Who was it that took Hitlers dictation of Mein Kampf while in prison?

Rudolf Hess, the last person imprisoned at Spandau Prison.  A real crackpot.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:05:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Worst... book... ever...
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:38:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Another great read is "The Last 100 Days" by John Toland.

It is an extremely well written and detailed account of the last 100 days of the European theatre in WWII.

_Disconnector_
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:48:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:52:46 PM EDT
[#28]
If you want to read some very interesting stuff by Hitler, try to find a copy of "My New Order".
It is a compilation and translation of all of his speeches from the 1920s up to 1939 or so, and the newspaper reviews that followed them.
If one were to change the word "Jews", to "terrorists", one could get elected today with those speeches.
Mein Kampf sucks because he wrote it in prison, and he really wasn't at his best as a writer, but rather as an orator.
"My New Order" is out of print, but can be found on Ebay sometimes, for not a lot of money.
THAT one is fascinating from a historical standpoint.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:56:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Expect a headache!  

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:56:23 PM EDT
[#30]
One thing I can add to this. If you want to read it, read it in German. The English translations butcher it as do most translations. If you do not know german, be prepared for a crappy read. But, for WWI/WWII buffs it is a good dive into the thoughts of a Tyrant/Madman and the minds of those who thought like him/agreed with him. In the end, it is still insane.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:56:24 PM EDT
[#31]
I've actually read The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, and I enjoyed it.  I read another one covering the main reasons Germany lost the war, but I can't recall the title.  Pretty good read as well.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:57:17 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Your a nerd you need to call your girlfriend instead of reading a boring book.....

You're not still mad about the Krystle thing, are you??
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:57:22 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

You know, Norman, for a tattooed, anarchist, rebellious asshole with no morals, you're surprisingly well-read!
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:00:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Its a good book to keep handy...in case you run out of toilet paper.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:03:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:05:04 PM EDT
[#36]
At the time I was mad at you but I am not mad at you now!!  
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:05:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:10:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Well my 2 cents ok so here goes. It was written by a guy who was gassed in WWI and had syphillis so I would think there would be a few mental problems with him AT LEAST! Ofcourse this is just the primer. As we all know he was THE LEADING NAZI AND ORDERED THE MURDER OF MILLIONS OF PEOPLE!!!!!! Why would you want to know what he thought? Don't get me wrong, your an American and therefore have the right to read any book you wish. Which is ironic since he ordered millions of books to be destroyed. Anyway as I said, my 2 cents. Now back to your regular programming.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:15:04 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Not really, I do not pretend to be exactly fluent in German, but i tried reading it in German, and it is not the translation that is lacking, it is the message, or lack thereof. IT is relentlessly boring, and disjointed, it reapeated ly comes close to trying to make a point, then goes in a completely different direction. It is not really a novel at all, it is no more than a collection of rantings, no matter what language it is in. Of course the types will tell you that in it's orignal German it is a wonderful work, and that it is interesting and profound, even in German I had to stop, it was just as bad. Of course the losers over a t sr0rmfront will now probably bitch about AR15.com being ran by a bunch of jews, and threaten to take us down, but who cares, they are a bunch of cowards who can't take responsibility for own failures, so they take shelter in the memory of another failure and his laboriously grotesque attempt at literary conquest.

I'm not trying to say it  in any way is a good sunday read. For history buffs delving into the subject, what better place to learn about his thought processes (or lack thereof) than from Mein Kampf? He contradicted himself at every point in his life and this collections of rantings and thoughts can put his bizarre actions in his life into perspective. You begin to see the "whys" for some of his actions. (he was nuts) Reading it in German allows the full intentions of what was being conveyed. We all know translations butcher as required in the nature of translating.

Either way, unless you know why you want to read it or have a specific desire to learn about the man and his idealogy and are prepared to read ALL of his crap (Mein Kampf is but one piece of the puzzle), don't bother. Go read 1984 instead. Now that's a great book.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:20:33 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Yes, master, the Hell Pet will make me pay for that....
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:28:27 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, master, the Hell Pet will make me pay for that....

HAHAHAHAHA !!! She better...
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:40:50 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You know, Norman, for a tattooed, anarchist, rebellious asshole with no morals, you're surprisingly well-read!

thank you.  I think.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:14:03 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:24:41 AM EDT
[#44]
It sucks.

Basically he blames the Jews for everything, from the Defeat of Germany in 1918, to Germany's poverty, to veneral diseases and crime on the Jews.  
Book was long, boring and didn't have much of a point.  Kind of book where you read a chapter and had no idea what it was about 5 minutes after you were done reading it.

Yes, I have read the book and I read it in German.  It was an extra credit assignment in my German class, we could pick a book on a list and read it.  I should have picked something else, Mein Kampf sucked ass.

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:16:00 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rudolf Hess, the last person imprisoned at Spandau Prison.  A real crackpot.

Incorrect, it was actually a Catholic Priest. His name escapes me.
Q: Who was the founder of the Nazi Party?
Hint, it was not Hitler, but a locksmith by the name A****  D******.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:38:04 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

I agree. The text is incredibly boring as it is rambling and disjointed in stream of conciousness fashion. While  a number of brilliant insights can be found in the book, on the whole, it is a difficult and unrewarding read. Some organization and heavy handed editing might have made it worthwhile but I found that reading it was a bit like mining for diamonds, you have to sift through mountains of crap just to get one little valuable nugget. I plan to sit down for another read soon to see if I can glean any more but it's been relatively easy to find other things I would rather do.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:38:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Just read anything from the dnc.  Same-same.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:58:52 PM EDT
[#48]
All the stuff I've read and seen about hitler made me wonder what really made him tick, but then just last year I saw a new clip of him from the pre-war olympics and he's rocking back and forth in his seat like a madman. If you've ever been to a psych ward you'll be able to picture it.

A picture is worth a thousand words and in my memory now I always picture him that way and he's just another madman. Too bad Bugsy didn't shoot him when he had the chance...
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:00:03 PM EDT
[#49]
It is poorly written and just another generic rant you could hear in 10 mins. from your local Skin Head
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:00:31 PM EDT
[#50]
not fit to wipe yer azz with

ok, maybe that...

Read Shirers Rise and Fall.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top