Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2003 9:34:58 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 9:46:38 AM EDT
[#1]
[B]Do it![/B] You'll understand later, and be much better off for having done it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 9:49:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 9:51:31 AM EDT
[#3]
In the Air National Guard, life really doesn't suck.  I joined up about a year and a half ago and I am here to tell you, it could be a hell of a lot worse.  Depending on what you wanna do, the tech school can be short and with a 6 week basic training, you can be back teaching after summer vacation.  The standard of living is normally pretty high and a lot of the high tech career fields transfer nicely to the outside world if that becomes an issue.  If you have any questions e-mail me at [email protected]  And By the way, I am NOT a recruiter, I hate those bastards.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 10:41:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Go nuts.

I was never a reservist, was active while in.

Never anything wrong with serving your county.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 2:25:35 PM EDT
[#5]
im thinking about it too, but im tryin to drop a few lbs i picked up from a desk job a while back.

I'm gonna go air national guard.

here is what i like about the air national guard, you work at the base that you sign up at...aka the recruiters are for that base only.

im just tryin to research the MOS's I too am interested in small arms, but also am a machinist and welder.

the mos i liked was called "aerial gunner" aka helicopter gunner, you get a minigun!
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 2:53:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

the mos i liked was called "aerial gunner" aka helicopter gunner, you get a minigun!
View Quote

yah, AC130 too (at least in active service). bad part is thier are only about 300 AGs in the service.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 2:56:26 PM EDT
[#7]
MRW - find an infantry unit in the area and just go blow shit up on the weekends. It sounds like you already have a career and you are not looking for a new skill.

Plus, as a school teacher you can easilly cram a summer vacation into your time off in the summer.

find out the job that you want and then go visit the unit where you will be assigned.  

see if they are a sit around the motor pool and rub your weapon kind of guard unit or if they actualy go do things for drill.

Link Posted: 1/5/2003 2:56:53 PM EDT
[#8]
One important piece of advice for a person in their 30s, have a good job/career and want to join the Reserves/Guard..... Be sure that the time off will not interfere with your career and obligations at home. Sure you may have considered that training will take only this much time and you will only be gone on this weekend or that week during the summer, but sometimes the military isn't always on perect schedule and MOS class dates may change putting you in a class that is months away from what you planned to be away from home, drill and training dates may change at the last minute and there are costs and time that you don't think about that the military doesn't pay for; Uniform items, alterations and cleaning of dress uniforms and the cost of travel to station. You also have consider that if you get injured while on duty, you may be forced to stay at a military hospital while you heal instead of at a civilian hospital near your home and you have to consider the pay loss from your regular job vs your military pay if the insurance from your regular job doesn't cover you.
If you have thought these things through and all is okay with you and you are in decent health and physical shape, then go for it.

[b]ArmaLiter[/b]
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 3:21:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Be forewarned:  these days, you most likely WILL be activated.  That will mean several months away from your family.  If they and you can deal with that, go for it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 4:04:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm in the Army National Guard as a 12B (Combat Engineer).  Be careful,  both Bravo and Charlie company of my unit have been called up for active duty.  Right now I have to live knowing any moment I can be called up.  I've been in for a year now and then it was like, yea Bush will fight, but I'm in the guard, they never use us.  Guess I was wrong, should have thought about that before I signed up at MEPS.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 4:13:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 4:25:49 PM EDT
[#12]
don't...I'm in your same shoes, except no kids.  If you want to do something nice, send some care packages to some deployed troops.  

just my .02

QS
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 4:33:34 PM EDT
[#13]
I have been active duty Army and National Guard. The Guard was too slow-paced for me so I went active - but had to accept the extra BS associated with active duty as well. If you want to strictly work on small arms, I'd go in the Army Guard as a 45B - Small Arms Repairer - there are only a few jobs for this MOS in a given state usually. Another option is my old MOS - 92Y - I worked as an armorer for around four years but there is no guarantee you will be able to stick with this. 92-Y is primarily supply - if you're lucky as I was - you'll be able to do it full time. You may want to consider the Air National Guard. Like the regular Air Force, they have a higher standard of living, more educational/training opportunities usually, and generally treat people better. Depends on what you want to do. I'm currently transitioning to the Coast Guard as a GM. The Gunners Mate program is an option if you're interested in the Coast Guard reserves - they to work on weapons primarily plus teach others on small arms. If you want something fairly high speed part time, I'd suggest Coast Guard Port Security (they have been getting activated a LOT in the last year). This may not always be true, but most Army Guard units I've seen deployed got stuck somewhere guarding empty barracks of regular Army units down range. Or sent to Bosnia/Kosovo to do normal duties - plus lots of guard duty. Really depends on what you want to do in a Guard/Reserve capacity.      
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 5:01:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
don't...I'm in your same shoes, except no kids.  If you want to do something nice, send some care packages to some deployed troops.  

just my .02

QS
View Quote

He's just saying that because he signed up for the combat life saving course and has to let someone practice sticking IVs in him next weekend!! (Oh...it's a phobia, he says!}[}:)]
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 5:03:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 5:08:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 5:26:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Go for it!

I was active Navy and now at 31 am gonna go Naval Reserve.

There are few times in your life where you will feel as proud as the first time you put on your dress uniform.  It is/was IMO an honor to wear my country's uniform.

I finished boot camp right after the end of the gulf war and I was getting on the plane in Chicago to go home for leave and the other passengers on the plane gave me a round of applause.  At 19 years old and a bit disoriented by the "normalcy" of my unmilitary surroundings I just smiled sheepishly.  I now appreciate what that was done for.  When I arrived in Philly three complete strangers shook my hand and one dad wanted to show his son what a sailor was!  You will be part of something that is greater than the sum of the parts so to speak.  It is nothing that nobody can ever demean or belittle.  Pride that is yours alone shared with a brotherhood of servicemen and women even if the jovial inter-service rivalry would suggest otherwise!  Besides, basic training is actually a hell of a lot easier than managing a family, career, marriage, etc.  There, everything is laid out for you, all you need to do is follow orders.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 5:34:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 6:05:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Your a family man now stay home and take care of the family.
View Quote

I agree, if you were in the service and had the kids while serving, fair enough. If the country was calling all able bobies, I could see it.

Until then, Family always comes first specially if you got little ones.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 6:31:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 6:45:31 PM EDT
[#21]
I will qualify the statements to follow by first saying; I have served 8 years in two services. 4 years active USMC and 4 years NG. My advice to you considering your age, family situation, education and employment situation, is don't do it. Don't even think about it. You have nothing to gain from it. Are you prepared to get activated and sent away from your family to God knows where and for how long? Are you prepared to give up control of your life to some wanna be G.I Joe lifer who could give a shit about you? Do you want to go fight a war that is started by people whom themselves or their loved ones will never have to fight and who will probably see financial gain from it? It's one thing to be a 17-18 year old high school kid with no finacial means for college and little direction in his life. It's quite another to be a grown man with an education, family and good job. You would be crazy to give all that up to fulfill some intangible misdirected longing to "serve your country". You have a much higher obligation to your wife and children. If you are looking to dabble in a "profession of arms" See your local Sheriff/Chief of Police and get a job as a part time Deputy or Cop. You'll get to "serve your community".
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 8:35:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 8:55:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 3:35:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Be forewarned:  these days, you most likely WILL be activated.  That will mean several months away from your family.  If they and you can deal with that, go for it.
View Quote

Not to mention you will most likely take a huge pay cut. Can you handle that for an EXTENDED period of time?

You WILL BE ACTIVATED and you WILL SPEND A LONG TIME away from home. The reserves and national guard are very abused in there purpose in recent times.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 3:55:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I will qualify the statements to follow by first saying; I have served 8 years in two services. 4 years active USMC and 4 years NG. My advice to you considering your age, family situation, education and employment situation, is don't do it. Don't even think about it. You have nothing to gain from it. Are you prepared to get activated and sent away from your family to God knows where and for how long? Are you prepared to give up control of your life to some wanna be G.I Joe lifer who could give a shit about you? Do you want to go fight a war that is started by people whom themselves or their loved ones will never have to fight and who will probably see financial gain from it? It's one thing to be a 17-18 year old high school kid with no finacial means for college and little direction in his life. It's quite another to be a grown man with an education, family and good job. You would be crazy to give all that up to fulfill some intangible misdirected longing to "serve your country". You have a much higher obligation to your wife and children. If you are looking to dabble in a "profession of arms" See your local Sheriff/Chief of Police and get a job as a part time Deputy or Cop. You'll get to "serve your community".
View Quote

Exactly my thoughts.  Listen to this man, MRW, he speaks the truth.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 9:26:48 AM EDT
[#26]
In 96 with the first big wave of guard call-ups for no good reason other than they didn't want to pay for enough active private to pick up garbage on base--I was bitching and an old NCO sat me down and told me this:

"You ain't the national guard anymore, you the US Army stationed in Taylor on 10% pay" (Our armory was in the City of Taylor)

Then when night we were bitching about the army putting us in shitty barracks three to room and working us all the time while active privates right of of school got new single rooms w/ shared heads and weekends off --and he said:

"You ain't no fucking NCO, your rank is reservist and that means you an E fucking negative one and all active duty  out ranks you."

I took that to heart and got out after that hitch. Truer words about the reserves have never been spoken.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top