Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2006 11:33:23 AM EDT
Whadda ya think of the Russian  / Turkish jobs?

Saw a Mossy International turk import. About $500

Looked nice enuf.

I'm only gonna use it a coupla times a year, so I can't see spending serious coin here.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:35:01 AM EDT
[#1]
tag.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:36:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Sporting Clays is addictive. You can probably get away with a cheap shotgun for now. But when you're addicted, you'll probably be shooting at least a couple of hundred rounds each time you go. The more you shoot, the cheapy's will start malfunctioning on you.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:48:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Go to www.shotgunworld.com  forums.

The Silver Reserve Mossburg is a Khan. There are some issues with the firing pins on some guns hitting the hood when closing. Check the forum.

Also... Look at the Remington Spartan SPR 310. It's a russian baikal. I like mine. ( I paid $368.00 at Acadamy last year). Also look at the new Charles Daly's also a italian import I believe. I haven't heard good things about the stoegers. Some issues, again check the shotgunworld forums.

Try Dick's sporting goods in your area too. Try Davison's www.Galleryofguns.com

M4-AK
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:50:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Why O/U instead of just good ol American pump or auto?
I have couple of 870 and a 1100 and they can do pretty much everything that needs doing.
What does O/U offer that pump and auto don't?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:52:11 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have couple of 870 and a 1100 and they can do pretty much everything that needs doing.

TWO CHOKES.......

...but hey get both or something to that effect.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:52:15 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Two different chokes for two different shots is a big advantage.

Dang, beat me by 4 sec.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:55:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks, I didn't know that was the reason... learn something new everyday.
So why not a SxS instead of O/U?  Perhaps lower muzzle jump on the first shot if its the lower barrel?

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:55:47 AM EDT
[#8]
If you're really into it, you can swap choke tubes to match the targets they're throwing. Like in golf you pick a certain club for certain shot. If you're just out for fun you can shoot the course with anything and have fun. But like most things, you start to want to raise your score and get any edge you can. I've shot clays with O/U SxS and my Benelli duck gun. Funs fun.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:01:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Class
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:17:48 PM EDT
[#10]
A minimum I'd buy the cheapest Beretta they make, if only a couple times a year maybe you can use the club's gun or a friends gun or something.  Stoegers can be had for $300 at Dick's sporting goods if you really want to go cheap
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:21:36 PM EDT
[#11]
tag

I want a Citori Super Lightning SOMETHING FIERCE
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:28:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
tag

Check out the Beretta 682 first so you won't have buyer's remorse
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:31:23 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
tag

they look to be comparably priced?
Whats the advantage?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:38:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Remington Peerless
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:46:04 PM EDT
[#15]
You'll  do better with a shotgun, even a Mossberg.

The Huglu shotguns are heads and shoulders above the Baikals in every way.  Even barring finish and refinement, every Baikal I have picked up has had something wrong with the stock - too much cast off, cast on, twist, drop + one of the other problems, thick wrists built as if they think we will drop it from a horse, and so on.  Baikals are built strong in principle, but who knows about the material selection - that could be its downfall even with a basically strong design if the guns wears quickly.

You will be better served by a second hand gun made in the US, or a Beretta.  Or not, you have to decide for yourself.

There are all sorts of reasons to select one gun type over another.  Autos have long sight planes but you have to retrieve hulls if you want to reload them.  O/U's give choke selection, which is mostly not important, but sometimes it makes a difference, and you can catch the hulls after each pair instead of picking them off the ground.  Those are just two common examples.

A plain jane Berreta 686 model is the best O/U buy on the planet; the Black Onyx is ugly, but it has the same mechanics as the more expensive versions.  The 682 is in a different price class, even more expensive than a Browning 525.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:54:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Find a Beretta 390 Sporting Clays model - more tournaments have been won with that gun than any other.  If you are really set on an O/U - Browning and Beretta are the two most popular manufacturers with good reason.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:49:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Just like rifles, CZ is a tremendous value.
in that same 500 to 1000 dollar range
you could find some used Browning or Beretta's.
I woudl start there, any of those would give you tremendous amount of service with low or no problems (and the CZ hasa  warranty)
O/U is the way to start, get a nice recoil pad and get the gun fitted to you. that's the key to any shotgun sport.
Also, try #8's, you'll be amazed how effective they can be.

enjoy, I love shotgunning.  Did close to 15,000 rounds of 12ga last year.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:46:09 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
tag

Whats the advantage?

Personal preference I guess.   I've been shooting skeet for over 10 years, got to try other peoples shotguns after a polite request, the 682 was a natural fit.  Put 100 rds thru it yesterday on the skeet field AMOF.  

Mine's an earlier model, 28" with ported bbls.  

I have the 682 Super Sporting

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:17:39 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
tag

Whats the advantage?

Personal preference I guess.   I've been shooting skeet for over 10 years, got to try other peoples shotguns after a polite request, the 682 was a natural fit.  Put 100 rds thru it yesterday on the skeet field AMOF.  

Mine's an earlier model, 28" with ported bbls.  

I have the 682 Super Sporting

tacoma4x4.no-ip.com/AR15s/Beretta%20692%20Gold%20Sporting%20(Small).JPG

Looks great!  I have only had the opp. to handle a couple different O/U and still relatively new to them.  Most of the skeet/clay shooting I've done over the last 10 years has been w/ my trust ol' 870.   I AM going to get an O/U, nonetheless.  [/fingerscrossed]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:30:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:32:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:55:23 PM EDT
[#22]
I shoot SxS's exclusively and for me, I actually shoot them better than a O/U.  (the wife likes the O/U)
The O/U is better for clay games, thinning point, better recoil recovery, etc
The SxS mounts much better, is lighter (thus more recoil) and when it's hot you can get an amazing amount of heat coming off those two barrels (serious mirage time)
HOwever, SxS's are cool, everyone wants to see them and everyone points with them very well.
However, they are spendy and they won't last as long as a good O/U.
Start with the O/U, then move to the SxS
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:24:23 PM EDT
[#23]
I shoot with a used Beretta AL390 that I got from Gander Moutnain for $300.  Nice gun, but I can see one advantage of a O/U.  No need to pick up you spent shells.  If I got serious about sporting clays, I would probably get an O/U, but for now my Beretta does just fine.  It only has the 26" barrel on it, but I can miss as easily with a short barrel as with a long barrel,
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:28:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Veronas were good.  Importer sucked.  Now imported by Savage.  Made by F.A.I.R

This is mine.  Came with tube set to shoot all gauges for skeet.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:44:45 AM EDT
[#25]
I'd also suggest a Beretta if you want an OU - as long as it's not abused they'll last forever (unless you shoot every day) and you can find a used one, especially a 680 for reasonable prices.  For an auto I'd suggest a Beretta also - the 391 (which replaced the 390) is extremely reliable, soft shooting, and easy to clean.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top