Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/31/2002 10:26:57 PM EDT
I'm already a EMR and was thinking of pushing on and doing something fun.  I'd probably have to quit volunteer firefighting if i was on a ambulance crew or something though.. but i always have my dad's business also just kinda hard to be a EMR out there since we have a bunch of out of town jobs and i'm my dad's companies only EMR.. Is it worth it to take Basic EMT just for the hell of it? not getting a job at a hospital or something? A community college down here has BasicEMT courses for the fall semester and I was thinking of taking it.  I've also heard its a very hard course and there are a lot of tests to take (I have ADD and can't sit still long enough to take a test [:D] ) So... does anyone have any websites or recommendations to where i could gather some more info maybe?

Thanks for your time.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 1:21:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Well a little history.  I was a EMT, and later, a Para Medic.  Now that was in the early 70s.
Things that I learned in that origional EMT class I still use.  Even if you never use it in a professional manner(as a ambulance personnel)it will always come in handy in your everyday life.  Now for expierence you can always volenteer to help out in just about any Hospital ER, seldom do they turn down volenteer help.  you may only be a runner and provide assistance but you get to see a lot.  Also Volenteer on any ambulance service.
The EMT course itself is focused but you should do ok. If you graduated from HS, you will do ok.
good luck
DA  
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 11:02:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I started in 1990. Have renewed as needed. (I get an extra $.25 an hour for being on the safety team at work.) Over the years, I have been a volunteer at two fire departments and two rescue squads. I also worked a year as an EMT at LifeCare in Charlottesville. It always is good for someone to know what to do until organised help arrives, if you never use it for anything else....

Scott

Link Posted: 6/5/2002 11:34:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm already a EMR and was thinking of pushing on and doing something fun.  I'd probably have to quit volunteer firefighting if i was on a ambulance crew or something though.. but i always have my dad's business also just kinda hard to be a EMR out there since we have a bunch of out of town jobs and i'm my dad's companies only EMR.. Is it worth it to take Basic EMT just for the hell of it? not getting a job at a hospital or something? A community college down here has BasicEMT courses for the fall semester and I was thinking of taking it.  I've also heard its a very hard course and there are a lot of tests to take (I have ADD and can't sit still long enough to take a test [:D] ) So... does anyone have any websites or recommendations to where i could gather some more info maybe?

Thanks for your time.
View Quote

Why would you have to quit Vol. firefighting, i would think the department would love to have more EMT's. Unless your Dept. is different, i assume you respond to traffic accidents, the skills of an EMT would be highly useful, until the medic unit arrived.

I have held the basic emt certification, certification expired many years ago. I thought about taking the course again and getting recertified, as stated it is good for everday use.

I was also on a volunteer dept. in Il. many years ago, they wanted the firefighters to be emt's.
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 1:01:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I would definitly take the EMT class.  It depends on whos teaching it and to what standard, but it will not be an easy class.  Still, I had a great time taking my classes, met some great people, and learned a lot.  It will be useful to you even if you never use it professionally.  I've been happy to have the training several times while out climbing, biking, etc.  It can also teach you how to function under stress, although this depends on how its taught.  This was one of the best things I learned from the class, was that I can work under stress, and actualy enjoy it to an extent.  Taking an EMT-Basic class eventually led me into where I am today.  And, if nothing else, its great trivia to impress your friends and family with!

Enjoy!
dp
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 1:27:58 AM EDT
[#5]
dpcop,

Where did you take your EMT class?  

I've been thinking about doing this, too.  I've seen courses offered at the local community colleges, but I was wondering if that is the best option.

Thanks.

Link Posted: 6/6/2002 3:19:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Yankee, I took my class in Gunnison, while I was going to school there. (got college credit for it, too!)  It was an excellent program, although geared for how the Gunnison EMS system operates, which I've found to be a lot different from most places.  I would recommend going down to your local firehouse and checking and seeing where they would recommend you taking the class.  Try to see if you could ride for part of a shift with a crew, that might give you more time to see if you like it, and pick thier brains for info.
EMail me if I can help at all.
Good Luck!
dp
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 4:52:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I just found out I would have to be a EMT-A to be with any ambulance crew OR work INSIDE the hospital... blah! I think im gonna just get nationaly registered my EMR...
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 5:24:16 PM EDT
[#8]
What does your heart tell you to do? Don't think you can't do it because you have ADD. Explain to the instructor the problem and work with them. The tests are not that hard if you study. The practicals are not bad, I always screw up on the Patient Assessment.

Bottom line it is something you will use maybe all the time or maybe just once. That one time could save a life. So again I say follow your heart and dreams.
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 8:18:42 PM EDT
[#9]
yea i got till august to decide
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top