Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/13/2006 8:54:18 PM EDT
I want full size.  I want some motor.   I want a good offroad package.  

As I see the Titan:

- it is made in America  (yes, by a Jap car company)

- hot rod engine
- throaty sound

- looks good (to me)

- nice features

- great offroad package - ground clearance very good, electric locking rear diff, good skidplates, etc...

- good towing capability (not too necessary now)

- decent mileage  (standard/typical)_

- largest interior space of the full sized trucks

- recent Truck of the Year winner

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:11:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd just get a half ton dodge or chevy and put a locker in it, if a limited slip isn't enough for you.

I have a chevy Z71 with their newer version of the eaton locker (which is basically a limited slip, but not quite as bad), 4.10 axles, and of course the skid plate package.  I don't really care for the eaton.  If I was going to wheel the thing hard I'd put a real locker (and real axles) on it but I'm more likely to fork out for a built up jeep and use my pickup to tow that to the trail.

ETA: if by great towing ability you mean towing something > 6k on any sort of hills, go get yourself a 3/4 ton diesel IMO.  What the manufacturers rate their trucks to tow is completely different than what you actually want to tow with it.  Theoretically, I can tow over 9k with my truck.  Realistically -- not very well.  The tow ratings are BS.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:18:45 PM EDT
[#2]
A larger version of the Tundra is supposed to be out some time in 06. It might be worth looking at.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:23:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Because a truck assembled in the US using foreign parts still puts americans out of work and it offers nothing the big 3 domestic companies dont offer.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:39:45 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Because a truck assembled in the US using foreign parts still puts americans out of work and it offers nothing the big 3 domestic companies dont offer.  

Yeah, you should buy a Ford or GM built in Mexico or Canada instead. Most, if not all, of the major components for the Titan are built in the U.S., including the engine. Geez, isn't this argument getting a bit old at this point? Putting American's out of work? I think that the 6,000 or so Nissan employees at the plant in Mississippi that started working there when the plant opened in 2003 would beg to differ with that sentiment.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:51:25 PM EDT
[#5]
My Ford PU was built in the US.  Not mexico or canada.   Btw, who would you rather give money to Canada or Japan?  

Find me a major auto maker that does not have a plant in Mexico.

Ford
GM
Chrysler
Subaru
Toyota   ( Tacoma truck plant )
Honda
Nissan

All have plants in Mexico.  I'm sure there's several more as well.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 12:14:39 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
My Ford PU was built in the US.  Not mexico or canada.   Btw, who would you rather give money to Canada or Japan?  

I would prefer Mississippi. They really need the money. I am guessing that the 6,000+ new jobs might be having a slight positive impact on their local economy.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 12:44:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Simple. Eats way too much gas unless you truely need it to haul stuff ALL the time or off road. Get a trailer and hook it up to your car when you need it. Will save you lots and lots.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:15:39 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
A larger version of the Tundra is supposed to be out some time in 06. It might be worth looking at.

Along with a diesel engine with 700lb/tq!!
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:23:35 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Along with a diesel engine with 700lb/tq!!

I'll believe that when I see it.

If you feel the Nissan Titan is the truck for you then by all means buy it, it's still a free country ( well mostly anyhow )   At least give the other makers a fair shake before you do though.   Drive them all before you buy one.  
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:45:16 AM EDT
[#10]
- I don't seem them making the Tundra a full sized truck, just larger

- even a Dodge hemi isn't as fast to 60mph as the Titan

- only the Chevy has better mileage

- yes, if I were really towing much, DIESEL is the clear choice - I talked my dad into one

- I would not buy a "street" performance truck, I find it an oxymoron.  If I want a sportscar, I'll drive my Vette

- Titan has the highest tow rating among comparable full sized truck, FWIW

- Dodge Powerwagon is very appealing, though I still don't trust Chrysler quality.....

- Fords just don't make much power, regardless of the HP rating

- Titan - most torque and horsepower at the lowest rpm

- Titan is $7k less list price

- this wouldn't be a hard core offroader, I'd buy a Jeep for that.  Just nice to have some capability

- mileage matters some - but I'm only running about 17.5 mixed now in the SUV

I've done the car route my whole life.   I'm on SUV #2 now, and I really like a larger vehicle that has competance and capability.    I'm on the road a lot, I like the room and knowing I can probably get home , no matter what happens.     Car isn't on the table anymore.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:02:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Sounds like the Titan is right for you.

Those tow ratings are total crap, though.  They're made up by beancounters, not engineers.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:04:35 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Those tow ratings are total crap, though.  They're made up by beancounters MARKETING PEOPLE, not engineers.

I think I fixed that statement.  
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:16:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Trucks are nice, almost like a change in lifestyle... Sounds like you've done your homework-Git 'er done.

Dave
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:35:12 AM EDT
[#14]
just buy the damn titan already
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:33:09 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Btw, who would you rather give money to Canada or Japan?  

Japan...Kanada can suck my...

In response to the thread, it sounds like you have made up your mind with the Titan, so I'd say go for it...
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:06:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:59:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Get the Titan. I did and I couldn't be happier. The Titan will out tow, out haul and flat out our run any of the big 3's 1/2 tons. The interior isn't as good as the Ford but thats about the only thing I can complain about. I've had mine since September with 0 problems. Heres a pic.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:00:59 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

First off driving a Japanese fullsize truck is like wearing your Harley jacket and riding a Honda, it's ghey. Second of all the Titan's "throaty" sound gets real old after about 5 minutes unless your 16.

Yeah, I was expecting these kinds of comments....
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:25:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:51:29 AM EDT
[#20]
The Titan exhaust not gets old quick if your 100 years old. Actually it did get old quick for me. Thats why I have that big honking Gale Banks exhaust on it now. That still hasn't gotten old
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:25:19 AM EDT
[#21]
If you plan on towing near the rated limit you might want to look elseware.... The early titans had problems with the rear ends overheating. to try and correct the problem they switched to synthetic oil and added a ribbed Diff cover to dissipate the heat.

Other than that if you can live with the gas milage go for it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:21:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Fightfor,
Have some more GM Kool-Aid and buy a Chevy.  My family has 2 Chevy Pickups-along with our TrailBlazer, a '97 3/4 ton and a '04 GMC 1 ton with 8.1 and the Allison trans.

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:51:30 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

You asked I gave, I have owned trucks (mostly full-size) going on almost 20 years now. I've owned Fords, Toyotas and Nissans. Even Car and Driver said the exhaust note on the Titan gets old quick.

I was mostly referring to your Harley wannabe comment.

I understand what you are saying about exhaust note - but that is a personal preferance thing.   1st thing I did on my Corvette was to replace the exhaust with something for a bit more sound.

Now, I haven't driven or heard a Titan, so it will be something I'll check out...... I certainly don't want a cherry bomb sound.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:06:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Drive the Titan and all of the big threes pickups. You will buy the Titan.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:37:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Just bought a Titan last week.

06 SE Crew Cab.
Got it with the cloth seats, will probably get the Neoprene Sport covers in a few months, but that is beside the point.

I got a pretty base SE, with a spray-in liner (to be put on at line-x tomorrow) splash guards and that is about it.  I needed a truck and did not need to spend lots of money.  

The 06 has a big-brake kit upfront, to alleviate the disc issues; the finned diff cover to cool better.

I got out of the dealership at ~28K after all taxes, fees, and 100000 mile warranty.

I have driven my friend's 2004 F150 CC Lariat and it feels like a boat compared to the Titan.
The Chevy's are 5 year old technology in a new wrapper and small as shit inside.
It out accelerates the "Hemi" as if just hearing that does not just want to make one ill. "it's got a Hemi"  ooooooooh ahhhhhhhh  who gives a flock......  Overrated as hell.  

The Titan has the best room, simple controls, a hell of an engine, equivelent gas mileage, good looks (or bad, no inbetween with most people), great drivability and handling, lots of goodies to put on later.  

They are probably going to come out with a Diesel in 07, per rumor.

Go to TitanTalk  and read up.

Plus if you get the Stillen Supercharger for only 6k you can get 425 HP out of it.....  THAT is ZOOM ZOOM
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:58:42 PM EDT
[#26]
One of my co-workers has a Titan.  I've rode in it, and was not impressed.  It's got all of the bells and whistles, but it still doesn't work for me.  I've never been a Chrysler man either, but after driving them all, I ended up buying a Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie; and yes, it has a HEMI!!!

I don't know where these people get their HP / TQ figures, but I've left my co-workers Titan looking at tail lights on several occassions, the last time being an up hill run with me carrying two other passengers.

When I compared full-size trucks, for the same options, they were all about the same money; get what you like.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:43:03 PM EDT
[#27]

Dodge Ram 1500 Lariat

Huh?

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:25:24 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Dodge Ram 1500 Lariat

Huh?

Ford on the brain.

Guess I'm jealous.....NOT!!!
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:37:25 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I don't know where these people get their HP / TQ figures, but I've left my co-workers Titan looking at tail lights on several occassions, the last time being an up hill run with me carrying two other passengers..

One of the truck magazines did a recent test.

The Dodge would beat the Titan to 50 mph, but by 60 mph the Titan was ahead, and stayed there
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:28:45 PM EDT
[#30]
I have heard some negative things about the Titan, but a lot of people here seem to like them.  I have heard several times about the rear axle on the titan being too weak.  as far as "hot rod" or exaust sound, there is a much bigger aftermarket for chevrolets.  I would love to line my silverado up against a Titan or Hemi, my truck would not be left in the dust ( I am not stock).  I would definately recommend a silverado, regardless of what anyone else says.  the 5.3 Chevrolet is an outstanding motor.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:30:52 PM EDT
[#31]
A crew cab 4WD Titan will outrun a regular cab hemi every time in the 1/4. Even though the Hemi is rated 40hp more than the Titan and only 5ft lbs less look at dyno figures and see which truck makes substantially more power (both hp and torque) to the wheels. The Hemi is simply 40 year old technology with a ton of marketing hype. I will take an all aluminum DOHC V8 any day over a fake Hemi.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:37:04 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

And I'd buy one while laughing at the UAW.  Union labor can kiss off.  

Titan's engine is made in TN.  I think only the tranny is made in Japan.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:02:31 PM EDT
[#33]
http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=48811 here is some reading for ya
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:38:01 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

One of those big 3 domestic companies is owned by an overseas auto maker, I agree that nissan = foreign, but to me dodge = foreign.  My 2 cents, about the big 2 domestic automakers.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:19:13 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=48811 here is some reading for ya

Yep and after you read that go to the Mustang forums and see what they say about F-Bodies.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:46:12 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep and after you read that go to the Mustang forums and see what they say about F-Bodies.

well he said he wanted to be convinced not to buy a titan...
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:31:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Two things...poor reliability as has been related to me. It's about as ugly a truck as I've ever seen. I'll stick with my 96 Dodge 4wd. 120,000 miles and going strong!!!
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:07:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Okay, it seems like Nissan has fixed the brake problem.   The cooling cover on the rear end seems more like a band-aid.   Also I saw some paint and other issues.

I was also looking at the Avalance - interesting.  Or GM's regular trucks.    But why do these only have about 8.6" of clearance, where the Titan has almost 13?     Seems the same for the Fords  & Dodges too.   Why don't they have any clearance?

If I wanted 8" or so of clearance, I could just stick with my current SUV  (even Grand Cherokee only  has 8")
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:56:07 PM EDT
[#39]
4.5 inches of ground clearence really isn't as bad as it sounds IMO.  (thats what skid plates are for)  I had my silverado in the mountains and it did just fine running with 3/4 ton dodge and a 3/4 ton ford. It got very rough out there. the trucks that GM is putting out right now with probably be the best ones they ever make, these are solid trucks and I am very happy with mine.  but either new chevy ,ford , or dodge, will be a good choice, barring you dont get a lemon.  it really just comes down to personal perfrences and witch truck you are most comfortable sitting in.get a chevrolet
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:05:58 PM EDT
[#40]
I have had Nissan Sentra Nissan 200 sx Nissan D-21 Pickup and I am now on 2003 Nissan Frontier.   I know nothing about the Titan, but I know for a Compact pickup I have never been stuck off road nor have I ever needed to tow anything that I couldn't with my Frontier.   I believe strongly that Nissan makes a superior product, as I have never ever had any problems with any Nissan product that I have ever owned.  Wish I could say the same out of my "American cars"
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:29:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Man, check out Ford's "Truth about Trucks" - the Silver Creek video - Link
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:10:57 AM EDT
[#42]
A lot of the clearance issues show up on the 3/4 and 1 ton models due to the size of the differential. The differential on my 2005 Dodge 3500 SRW Diesel 4x4 is massive.  These are built to handle hauling heavy loads up and down steep hills.
This is where Jeeps and 1/2 ton trucks shine if you're only worried about ground clearance. The differential on them are tiny in comparison. Match this differential size which is level with the center of the rear wheels, and you'll see that unless you have huge tires on it, you're going to sacrifice ground clearance.
You can strap up some skid plates, however most end up as a sand anchor. When I aproach a rock in the road I plan to go over, I steer it towards the passenger side and let it pass freely away from the front and rear differential.
To get a real wheelin truck though, you're going to have to spend some money and make some modifications to the differentials. Selectable lockers will drag you out of hell. Many trucks out there on the market are peglegs and will get you stuck the moment you get a wheel in the air.
I would try to talk you out of buying the Frontier, but the Titan seems pretty solid and has a developing aftermarket. Very pretty truck also.
-Steve
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:27:21 AM EDT
[#43]
Titan is also the only full size truck with a electonically controlled traction control.
Titan Info

FYI I'm actually checking them out myself.  I really like the features that it comes with for the price but I'm somewhat leary of the interior quality vs my current Toyota Tundra.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:38:01 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, you should buy a Ford or GM built in Mexico or Canada instead. Most, if not all, of the major components for the Titan are built in the U.S., including the engine. Geez, isn't this argument getting a bit old at this point? Putting American's out of work? I think that the 6,000 or so Nissan employees at the plant in Mississippi that started working there when the plant opened in 2003 would beg to differ with that sentiment.

Ford trucks are biult in Dearborn MI
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:28:04 PM EDT
[#45]
When folks try to say a vehicle is built in Mexico or Canada they should research it a bit first.  

Toyota
Honda
Ford
GM
Subaru ( I think anyhow )

and several others have auto plants in Mexico.  

IIRC the Tacoma is built in mexico.    My Ford trucks were built in the US with US parts and have done work that would destroy ANY of the import pickups.   Try dumping 4200lbs of concrete in your titan or tundra.

Btw, trucks shouldnt use motorcycle sized oil filters
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:11:07 PM EDT
[#46]
I got a Nissan Crew Cab LE in Feb. of last year.  I have been through the brake problems (waited 20,000 miles and then got new brake pads, new rotors, for free) had my DVD map replaced for free because the initial ones would zone out after a while and got an '06 model with the upgraded map disk for free.

Nissan's full size truck has been out for 3 model years now and it is already making the other major truck makers change their trucks to keep up.  I got one because I was sick of GM recycling the same interior for the past 12 years and Ford is almost as bad about that plus they never get as good of mileage as the GM products and they cost more.

My truck came with the following equipment from the factory:

Rancho Shocks
Spray in bed liner
10 speaker Rockford Fosgate audio system with powered sub and 6 disc CD changer in dash
5 speed automatic transmission
Mapping DVD for the front seat
DVD for the kids in the back
4wd with Limited Slip Front and Rear
Vehicle Dynamic Control (similar to what was on my Corvette)

In 2004 you couldn't get this kind of stuff on a factory truck. Yeah GM's Z-71 has Bilstein gas shocks, but wait until you go to get a replacement one and they want $300 plus for it.  You can get your dealer to do the spray in liner and do a stereo on your own and add the DVD's etc. but you can't get it stock unless you got a NISSAN.

Now the others have "seen the light" and they are beginning to offer but the 2006 Chevy I got last week for my company looks almost identical to my 2000 model inside and out.  

Get what you want, all of the trucks are made up of "modules" that are not even assembled at the factory.  The entire dash, seats, etc. for our GM plant which is closing in OKC are all built off site buy temporary workers and guys making $6 an hour and stuck in the car buy guys making 10x as much.  The parts they use are usually made overseas anyways.  There is not such thing as a "Made in the USA" truck anymore.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:59:47 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Many trucks out there on the market are peglegs and will get you stuck the moment you get a wheel in the air.

You got that right. My '95 F150 is crap in the winter. I load it down with sandbags, and often fill it with snow, which completely negates the use of the bed, and it's still crap. I've gotten stuck in my parking lot (very small incline) because when one rear tire starts slipping it's all over. The other ain't gonna rotate no how, no way. Worse still, the truck wants to then slide its ass towards the car parked next to it. My next truck (I love having a pickup) will be a 4WD. I'm attracted to the Chevy/GMC line.

GL
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 12:08:18 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Titan is also the only full size truck with a electonically controlled traction control.
Titan Info

FYI I'm actually checking them out myself.  I really like the features that it comes with for the price but I'm somewhat leary of the interior quality vs my current Toyota Tundra.

Check out the new "No Fear" package.

Factory 6" lift, 35" beadlocks, other features.....all warranteed
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:09:13 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Titan Info

Check out the new "No Fear" package.

Factory 6" lift, 35" beadlocks, other features.....all warranteed

It's not  factory. It's dealer installed. Looks good but too much $$$. You could do the same thing cheaper of course it wouldn't be warrantied.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:13:22 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Many trucks out there on the market are peglegs and will get you stuck the moment you get a wheel in the air.

You got that right. My '95 F150 is crap in the winter. I load it down with sandbags, and often fill it with snow, which completely negates the use of the bed, and it's still crap. I've gotten stuck in my parking lot (very small incline) because when one rear tire starts slipping it's all over. The other ain't gonna rotate no how, no way. Worse still, the truck wants to then slide its ass towards the car parked next to it. My next truck (I love having a pickup) will be a 4WD. I'm attracted to the Chevy/GMC line.

GL

I have 4wd vehicles myself.   My F350 handles snow/ice much better than the expedition ( based on the 150 chassis)  The expedition is an 00 so they may have improved the diffs by now but the limited slip front/rear of the superduty 4wd works far better than the open diff light duty rig.    ( yes I admit shortcomings of my preferred brand)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top