Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/7/2005 10:57:37 PM EDT
Come January, almost all of my good friends will be in basic, or married, and I’ll still be here working at some mindless job.  So, I’ve been tossing around the idea of joining up with the military in a few months.  I’ve been trying to do some research and stuff, but I’m just not sure what branch I want to get into.  I’m not a big fan of the water, so the navy is pretty much out, but the army rangers seem like they might be kind of interesting.  I don’t know, does anyone have any advice for me, or any websites or books I should read?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:59:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Former Army here, JOIN THE MARINES! You'll never regret joining the U.S. Military.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:00:58 PM EDT
[#2]
depends on what you want to do.  There are so many jobs in the military that its almost like a private civilization on its own....anything from law enforcement, infantry, Heating and Airconditioning/building maint/ structural repair, aircraft maintenance, construction, explosive ordnance disposal, coffee makers (admin.)......you name it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:08:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Let's face it, the premier military force is The United States Marines. IMHO that on a resume will speak volumes to a potential employer. I loved the Army, but it is not given the prestige that The Corps is. You can pick from many job specialties, The Corps will give you the mindset needed in life.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:12:47 PM EDT
[#4]
It doesn't matter what branch you join.  Join and serve your country hopefully doing what you want to do.  If you want to carry a 100lb ruck sack sleeping in a dirt hole join the Marines, if you want to carry a 50lb ruck sack and sleep in a tent join the Army, if you want to carry 25lb rucksack and sleep in a dorm room join the Navy, if you want to carry a coffee cup and sleep at a 4 star hotel join the Air Force.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:15:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I really don't think you will learn alot about the military life from books.You should talk to people that were in or still in. As to talking to a recruiter they will tell you what you want to hear.
You have to think about what your MOS would be and if it is only usefull in the militar. Or can you use it to get a job on the outside. Me ,I would like to tell you to go in the Marines Force Recon
The first step is to decide what  you would like to do as a job in there and then decide what branch
some will offer  better training depending on what  field you want.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:18:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Be sure to get everything you want in your contract.

If you are told that you will get something, but it is not in your contract, you probably won't get it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:18:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Let me give you a tip before you run out and  join, as soon as the Defense Dept. App. Budget Bill passes the Senate after the summer break, The Military will be handing out $40,000 for EVERY Enlistee and more depending MOS's,  GET EVERYTHING IN YOUR CONTRACT TOO!
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:26:31 PM EDT
[#8]
make sure you can take it. and dont lie to join, if you've ever had a problem that you think doesnt matter any more, and is all healed or w/e, its gonna come out. i got kicked out of marine bootcamp last month with a sprained back (92 day reservist, had to be home in time for college, so i couldnt goto MRP), in my platoon of 79, i was the 10th person to get kicked out, 9th for being broken, and 4th that was ELSed.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:30:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Let me give you a tip before you run out and  join, as soon as the Defense Dept. App. Budget Bill passes the Senate after the summer break, The Military will be handing out $40,000 for EVERY Enlistee and more depending MOS's,  GET EVERYTHING IN YOUR CONTRACT TOO!

$40,000 for what?  Is that like a signing bonus? Hell, I could use the money.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:30:30 PM EDT
[#10]
do objective research

don't listen to opinions about something that could change your life

don't make a decision like this using any emotions, except patriotism

ask yourself what you want out of the experience and then aim for a way to get it.

as for the guy that tells you you should join the Marines, when he was in the Army?  That's like getting an opinion on your teeth from a pediatrician, when you should be asking a dentist.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:34:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't start singing Alice's Restauraunt when you go to see the shrink.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:37:38 PM EDT
[#12]
As a Former Naval Aviation Ordnanceman, I will tell you to Join Up Now
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:42:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:50:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Tag.  The $40,000 for every enlistee just sounds too good to be true.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:09:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:11:14 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/InFALaBill/sleepinginthemilitary.jpg

What are you, an airforce recruiter?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:38:05 AM EDT
[#17]
I will try and find a copy of the  DEFENSE DEPT. Bill, I thought it sounded to good to be true also , but when the military is competing with a booming civie  job market at a time of war with an all volunteer miltary, you better come up with more coin, or something extra to compete. 40,000 is alot of coin, You don't get it all at once though. You get your bonus spread over your enlistment
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:42:35 AM EDT
[#18]
40k sounds a bit much, but I know that its a bit more then what I got less then a year ago.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:52:55 AM EDT
[#19]
I just double checked and yup it is $40,000, but wait for the bill to pass or you might not get the cash
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:55:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Shit, I'd re-enlist right now for a $40k bonus.  Two more years.. stay in the 82nd... works for me
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:01:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Well since I haven't shipped yet (Shipping out to Ft. Jackson, SC on Aug 16) I don't know how the Army will be, but I can tell you that some of the people that run MEPS aren't  too bright.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:04:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:04:16 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I will try and find a copy of the  DEFENSE DEPT. Bill, I thought it sounded to good to be true also , but when the military is competing with a booming civie  job market at a time of war with an all volunteer miltary, you better come up with more coin, or something extra to compete. 40,000 is alot of coin, You don't get it all at once though. You get your bonus spread over your enlistment

Correct, you get 50% once you've completed basic and AIT, then you get 25% after 2 years and another 25% after 2 more.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:05:15 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
do it now before the war ends

haha, yeah right!

Quick!  Sign up with the DEA before the War on Drugs End.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:10:34 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Shit, I'd re-enlist right now for a $40k bonus.  Two more years.. stay in the 82nd... works for me

just went INDEF for $22,5....  i don't do it for the cash, but it doesn't make my wife mad when i bring it home.  

looks like DoD is actually getting serious about taking care of its' own these days.  shit, we just got brand spanking new housing for single soldiers at Ft Lewis, that shit looks like a goddamned holiday inn or something....  remodelled housing AND brand new housing for married soldiers, some of them have jacuzzi-style tubs!  this is a no-shitter.  

you still gotta do the regular one-year deployments for god-and-country but they're getting their shit together

we get the good with the bad it seems
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:18:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Vanquish,

Decide on a branch, decide on a field, and dont look back. I stongly believe that ALL young men and women should serve in whatever capicity they are willing as it's such a positive charactor builder when young people need it.

www.goarmy.com/flindex.jsp

ETA: start physical training NOW, i cant stress enough.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:21:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Wow, thanks a lot for all the replys!  That's some really good stuff there.  I know a few people who have retired from the army and airforce, and I will talk with them and see what they did.  When you join, how long do you have to sign up for, 1 year, 2, 4, 6 or does it depend on what job you get?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:07:27 AM EDT
[#28]
6 (active, 1 weekend a month 2 weeks a year) +2 (On call)  for the Guard/Reserves and 4 for active...

...unless they've lengthened it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:40:23 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Wow, thanks a lot for all the replys!  That's some really good stuff there.  I know a few people who have retired from the army and airforce, and I will talk with them and see what they did.  When you join, how long do you have to sign up for, 1 year, 2, 4, 6 or does it depend on what job you get?

They Army recently starting having 15 month enlistments.  Its basically a test drive to see if you like it.  The next lower option is 2 years.  Of course there is always 3+.

I'd start out with two years.  4 years is a long time to stick something out if you hate it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:51:33 PM EDT
[#30]
I bought a brand new truck last year, and it won't be paid off for some time.  If I go into the military, I won't have any use for a $30,000 F-150, will I?  Should I sell it and get some cheap little car for the few times that I need to drive somewhere?  I figure there's no point in making large payments on a truck I won't be driving, right?

I sure will miss that truck though. hinking.gif
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:06:16 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Well since I haven't shipped yet (Shipping out to Ft. Jackson, SC on Aug 16) I don't know how the Army will behat

The people who go to MEPS arent that bright either.

I went and got the physical done thursday and there was this girl that freaked out while doing the excersise tests.  Supossedly(from what I overheard) she never told them she was pregnant(she even said it was because she was raped) and they found out so she went crazy.  The doctors had to have a few other people come in and talk to her to get her to calm down.  After that, she was crying the rest of the day.

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:35:03 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Well since I haven't shipped yet (Shipping out to Ft. Jackson, SC on Aug 16) I don't know how the Army will be, but I can tell you that some of the people that run MEPS aren't  too bright.

The people who go to MEPS arent that bright either.

I went and got the physical done thursday and there was this girl that freaked out while doing the excersise tests.  Supossedly(from what I overheard) she never told them she was pregnant(she even said it was because she was raped) and they found out so she went crazy.  The doctors had to have a few other people come in and talk to her to get her to calm down.  After that, she was crying the rest of the day.

lol There are some weird ones aye.  We had the wife of one of the enlistee's running around MEPS all day in her PJ's I shit you not, pink bottom's with a white top covered in blue duck's.

The guys and myself all agreed she should have dressed a little bit more decently then that.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:45:46 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

ETA: start physical training NOW, i cant stress enough.

Yes. Train. Hard. Now.

It will only help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top