Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2004 11:48:40 AM EDT
I posted this in GD, but it was suggested that I post it here as well, as I might get good responses.

I did a ride along with the police the other day and during our conversation, he mentioned a guy that got his degree in Criminal Justice and did great on the test, etc. During the polygraph it came out that he had driven drunk a number of times. Not arrested or convicted, just did it. Not sure how recently. In the past (I was young/stupid) I drove after drinking. Am I out now?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 11:56:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I knew a handful of cops bfo and after.  Before, they bragged how drunk they were waile they drove.  After, well,  they are jerks.  Just try to be shoot for justice.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:48:26 PM EDT
[#2]
jvic,

Not necessarily. Now I can only speak for my state but I believe it would hold true for most. Admitting to driving after drinking should not be a disqualifying factor by itself. Even a DUI conviction would not be.

Now you didn't state the frequency and recency of these activities. That may be a factor depending on the agency your applying for.

Just be honest about it and be prepared to discuss it. Don't get worried when you start getting raked over the coals even if the investigator leads you to believe you committed a most vile offense. It's just part of the process. What WILL disqualify you is lying about anything. They are looking for honesty.

You might be surprised what oozes out of some closets. We were all "young and stupid" once.

Go for it! You'll be fine. Good luck!

BTW, I didn't respond to the poll since I don't believe it to be a question which a black & white answer is appropriate. As it is with many issues faced in Law Enforcement.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 1:00:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the great answer...

I used to do it more often when I was younger, many times.  The most recent was over a year ago and dumb on my part.  I didn't feel I was unsafe to drive, but I think I might have been over the limit at the time.  It's hard to say.   I think the best approach now is to stay on the right track and give it a try.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:48:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Ahhh, from your poll I thought you meant having gotten caught!  Down play it, but if asked, be clear that there were times you drove after you had drank alcohol, and maybe you shouldn't have.  You aren't an expert on how drunk you were or weren't.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:10:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I did it alot when I was a teenager. Now I'm married so my wife can drive my drunk butt around. But I don't drink much anymore,I'm a cop there for i'm pooooooooooooooor.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 1:21:21 PM EDT
[#6]
2-5 years in recent past will usually disqualify.  Just shop around for an agency that is short-handed, their rules are usually more lenient.  www.apdonline.com  Albuquerque Police Dept.  I work for AFD, but know lots of cops.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:52:12 PM EDT
[#7]
If you were not arrested for it than dont worry. The poligraph test is not all its cracked up to be. They are just checking to see if you tell the truth, not what you did while you were a kid.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:45:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks all for the replies.  I figure I will just give it a try and if it's ok, then it's ok, if not, there is nothing I can do to change the past anyway...
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:54:30 PM EDT
[#9]
You'll do fine! If you do run across an agency looking for blessed Angels and they have a problem with your admission, you're probably better off going to another agency anyway.

There are very few people that haven't drivin after drinking. People that come across like they have NEVER violated any laws are either cave hermits, liars or just foolin themselves. We are human and I would prefer to work with and officer who has actually been around and lived life as a mere mortal. You will be better prepared to understand those who you will come into contact with.

Not everybody out there is a scumbag. Some are, some are just being "young and stupid" or human.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:29:49 PM EDT
[#10]
One time in the younger years would not be a disqualifier in my Dept.  More than one, yes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top