Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/14/2010 5:26:43 PM EDT
Talk me into/out-of it! My current Verizon contract is up, and I've been really eying the EVO 4G, but that is a little hard-to-get at the moment, and a bit more than I'd like to spend. So, I'm now looking at the HTC Hero. (I know, bad timing: the price just went up to $150. ) Anyway, playing around with the phone in the store, it is much nicer than the Samsung one that was next to it. However, the Hero will be limited to Android 2.1. No more updates. Is this going to affect things in the future? Should I spend the extra $$$ for the Evo?

Should I forgo this escapade and switch to prepaid since I might change my mind about the whole thing within the next 2 years?

Link Posted: 7/15/2010 8:52:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Nobody?

Link Posted: 7/15/2010 8:54:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I've had an Evo since launch.

Amazing phone, the only negative aspect is poor battery life.  I bought two extra batteries and a wall charger off of ebay for ~$20.

Been very happy with it and would recommend it.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 8:56:29 AM EDT
[#3]
I have the hero, wish I had the Evo.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 8:56:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Just got an EVO.  Dear god how did I function with out this thing before?

Granted, I'm not a techie phone guy.  But this phone has made so many aspects of my daily life easier.  Hell, the speak to text feature alone is a god sent.  My wife joked I'm like a 14yo girl the speed I sent text messages now.   If 4G is available in your area I say GO FOR IT!  The week I've had my phone my tech friends are all amazed at the internet speeds on it.

Link Posted: 7/15/2010 8:59:16 AM EDT
[#5]
The Hero is already obsolete, you'll be hating yourself for choosing it by the time the 18 month upgrade rolls around.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 9:01:14 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Amazing phone, the only negative aspect is poor battery life.  I bought two extra batteries and a wall charger off of ebay for ~$20.

Interesting, got a link?

Link Posted: 7/15/2010 9:02:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Got EVO on rollout day - love it - but the battery life is a little short.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 9:03:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Interesting, got a link?

Yep

Here are the ones I bought, generic but they have worked well.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 9:03:42 AM EDT
[#9]
think again.  iphone 4
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 9:06:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
think again.  iphone 4

Watch the news lately?
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 9:07:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Launch day EVO owner here, couldn't be happier.

Quoted:

My battery life has been great, I got 17 hours out of it yesterday with quiet a bit of usage and the only reason I plugged it in was because I was going to bed.  There are a few things you may need to do to make your battery life better.

Link Posted: 7/15/2010 9:08:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Later this month when the Evo finally becomes available for Sprint Employees....a HUGE number will be buying them
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 9:09:11 AM EDT
[#13]
The Driod X came out today, have you looked onto it? It seems to be Verizon's direct competitor to the EVO. I'd say it is worth a look to you.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 9:09:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Dude, i just had a thread on this last night.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1065879

I like the Hero and I think I'll like it more eventually, but so far it has been a gigantic pain in the fucking ass.

EVO is an extra $10/per line/per month BTW.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 9:11:53 AM EDT
[#15]
I have the Eris, same as Hero. Loved it before but when we got the 2.1 update it screwed the thing up. Turned it into nothing more than a paper weight. I did a factory reset and that fixed most of the problems. Still get a silent call bug. People can't hear me and I can't here them. Also have people call me all day long but my phone will never ring. Only way I know is if they leave a VM and that sometimes takes a half hour or so to beep. POS since my job is on call. I have missed work because of this this update.

I'd stay away from the Hero.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 9:13:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Sounds like I should start saving for when the Evo becomes available again.

I'd look at the Droid X if Verizon weren't so darn expensive.

Link Posted: 7/15/2010 9:14:43 AM EDT
[#17]
I've had both got evo at launch had the hero prior since october. Hero was a pretty decent phone but hardware wise its at the end of its life and will no longer be recieving official support past 2.1, XDA has some 2.2 roms for it but none that are 100% functional. As a new Sprint customer I'm not sure if you can get premier status(full discount upgrades yearly compared to 2 years) No way would I want to be stuck with the hero for 2 years starting now even the Evo and Epic will be outdated in a year.  I do love my Evo best phone I've owned by far. If the Hero's going for $150 its well worth an additional $50 for the Evo and the 4g tax. They are hard to find but some Best Buys around here still have a few in stock, and you get instant rebate compared to mail in from sprint stores/website.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 9:16:23 AM EDT
[#18]
My brother loves his Evo, if Sprint coverage wasn't so rotten here, I'd probably consider it myself

Link Posted: 7/15/2010 9:17:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have the Eris, same as Hero. Loved it before but when we got the 2.1 update it screwed the thing up. Turned it into nothing more than a paper weight. I did a factory reset and that fixed most of the problems. Still get a silent call bug. People can't hear me and I can't here them. Also have people call me all day long but my phone will never ring. Only way I know is if they leave a VM and that sometimes takes a half hour or so to beep. POS since my job is on call. I have missed work because of this this update.

I'd stay away from the Hero.

Try rooting it and getting a new rom off XDA? I was running 2.1 for a few months with out any issues before I got my Evo.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 9:18:50 AM EDT
[#20]
It f*cking prints money.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 9:24:18 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

It f*cking prints money.

I don't care.

Link Posted: 7/15/2010 9:57:15 AM EDT
[#22]
I just bought the the htc hero for sprint it seems ok so far
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 9:57:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I've had both got evo at launch had the hero prior since october. Hero was a pretty decent phone but hardware wise its at the end of its life and will no longer be recieving official support past 2.1, XDA has some 2.2 roms for it but none that are 100% functional. As a new Sprint customer I'm not sure if you can get premier status(full discount upgrades yearly compared to 2 years) No way would I want to be stuck with the hero for 2 years starting now even the Evo and Epic will be outdated in a year.  I do love my Evo best phone I've owned by far. If the Hero's going for $150 its well worth an additional $50 for the Evo and the 4g tax. They are hard to find but some Best Buys around here still have a few in stock, and you get instant rebate compared to mail in from sprint stores/website.

Is it still worth the extra $120 a year if 4G is not available in your coverage area?  I am looking at the Hero because 3G is all that is available in OK so 4G really isn't of use to me.  What does the EVO do over the Hero when limited to 3G and does it justify an additional $120 a year if you can't use the 4G service?

ETA:  I am currently using a Sanyo Katana LX so anything will be an improvement over this.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 10:05:51 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is it still worth the extra $120 a year if 4G is not available in your coverage area?  I am looking at the Hero because 3G is all that is available in OK so 4G really isn't of use to me.  What does the EVO do over the Hero when limited to 3G and does it justify an additional $120 a year if you can't use the 4G service?

ETA:  I am currently using a Sanyo Katana LX so anything will be an improvement over this.

That's my dilemma. It looks like Sprint's rolling out 4G in Richmond now, but it won't reach me till they hit the outskirts. My guess is that the size, quality, and upgradability of the phone do make it worth it, but I'm not entirely sure.

Link Posted: 7/15/2010 10:07:23 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Later this month when the Evo finally becomes available for Sprint Employees....a HUGE number will be buying them

I can't wait to pick mine up.

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 2:01:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Well, I did it!
Bought one an hour ago. Now I'm waiting to activate it till Verizon ports the phone number.
(Taking way longer that it should, IMHO...)
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 2:12:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Go for the EVO, HUGE screen and blazing 3g speed.....faster than my previous Iphone somehow......prolly that the network is less congested. As has been said if ur in an area with 4G then its a no brainer. Cant imagine how fast 4g would be on this thing.

MUCH better device than iphone. Period.

Only downside is batter life....iphone was about 25% better.

This battery is supposed to be double the life of the factory battery but makes the phone a bit bigger.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 2:25:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Get the EVO a friend of mine has one and if I wasnt on a dirt cheap Sprint SERO plan ($30 a month) I would probably get the EVO.

If you use it like a typical phone the battery should last long enough. That being said you wont use it a like a typical phone because you will have alot of fun playing with all the features and will probably kill the battery in 4 or 5 hours. However unlike an iPhone you can have an extra battery charged and ready to go when/if you need it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 3:03:18 PM EDT
[#29]
speed tests net 3G and 4G results:

3G: ~720 to ~870kb

4G: ~2200 to ~2500kb
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 3:42:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Launch day EVO owner here, couldn't be happier.

Quoted:

My battery life has been great, I got 17 hours out of it yesterday with quiet a bit of usage and the only reason I plugged it in was because I was going to bed.  There are a few things you may need to do to make your battery life better.  

Same here, my Evo goes all day long without a problem.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 4:11:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Still won't activate!
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 7:01:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Looks like we might have too....Employees were notified a few days ago that they can't get the Evo for another month...at least
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:49:43 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Looks like we might have too....Employees were notified a few days ago that they can't get the Evo for another month...at least

I'm sick of waiting.  I'm not even an employee - just on one of the friends and family plans.  This shit is starting to grate on me.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top