Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
7/8/2020 3:01:36 PM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/16/2015 4:17:08 PM EDT

I need to upgrade from my current single cab S10 to help haul the new family around. I have been looking hard at the Kia Soul due to the size being big enough for our needs; but not oversized like other vehicles on the road and the cost point. Around here I can get them new for around $16K and used ones with anywhere from 40K-80K miles on them for around $12k.

Anything I should know or be wary of before I get serious on this model?

Link Posted: 8/16/2015 4:18:31 PM EDT
I bought the plus model brand new in 2012.  I have no complaints
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 4:22:39 PM EDT
From what I hear from owners, pretty solid value. No real complaints.

I guess as long as you plan on holding onto it for the long haul. I see late models going very cheap with low miles on them. Like ridiculous prices for one just two years old.

I want to learn more because I'll be buying my son a car when he gets out of the USMC and it just might be an option.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 4:24:17 PM EDT
I am in the same camp.
I live in Portland Oregon an i see similar used pricing.

The new models. Have an added $2,000 adjusted market value increase attached to them.
See weston kia of gresham..  Nearest my residents.

Horse shit an all....
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 4:24:27 PM EDT
Great cars, hold up in our rental fleet pretty well.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 4:25:07 PM EDT
If the price is within your budget, I'd look at a Scion XB.  They are in a similar size class and because they are Toyota they are probably a bit longer lived.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 4:27:11 PM EDT
My mom has one. I think she's not the target for their advertising, but apparently she and every other retired woman didn't get the message.

It's a good little vehicle, even if you do look like an octogenarian in one.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 4:29:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/16/2015 4:30:53 PM EDT by DocBach]
Beyond the fact that Kia's are gay and I hate boxed cars like that, and the only person I know who drives a Soul is a coworker who I find to be one of the most annoying, dense person I know. Beyond that I have little opinion or experience on the Kia Soul.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 4:34:14 PM EDT
I can tell you're not a red head.

Red heads are only allowed to steal souls, not have one themselves.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 4:37:40 PM EDT
I had to rent one, it was horrible and super slow.

Link Posted: 8/16/2015 4:43:08 PM EDT
They look like the box a car came in to me, but if you like it... it's your money.  Have fun.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 4:44:11 PM EDT
zero drama with any of them I've retailed.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 4:44:43 PM EDT
Do you own an Olympic Arms AR15, OP?
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 4:44:44 PM EDT
My dad and I test drove one a few years ago.  I liked it, he didn't but he's a truck  I like it, he didn't but he's a truck guy.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 4:46:21 PM EDT
Coming out thread?
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 4:47:14 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DocBach:
Beyond the fact that Kia's are gay and I hate boxed cars like that, and the only person I know who drives a Soul is a coworker who I find to be one of the most annoying, dense person I know. Beyond that I have little opinion or experience on the Kia Soul.
View Quote

Cool story, bro.

Adults are talking.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 4:47:29 PM EDT
Mom loves hers. It wouldn't work very well off pavement where I live, but it wasn't designed for that.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 4:49:59 PM EDT
Not a huge fan of the styling.

I'd probably look at a Nissan Versa or Ford Focus hatchback.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 4:50:19 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 9:09:20 PM EDT
Originally Posted By FennRx:

Cool story, bro.

Adults are talking.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Cool story, bro.

Adults are talking.

My first car was a cheap Korean beater, a previously used as a rental Hyundai Elantra.

Now that I'm an adult, my $65,000 F150 eats Hyundai Elantras and shits out Kia Souls.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 9:13:28 PM EDT

My first car was a cheap Korean beater, a previously used as a rental Hyundai Elantra.

Now that I'm an adult, my $65,000 F150 eats Hyundai Elantras and shits out Kia Souls.
View All Quotes

Cool story, bro.

Adults are talking.

Let me get this right.  You're bragging about spending $65K on a half ton pickup?

Link Posted: 8/16/2015 9:17:32 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Chairborne:

Let me get this right.  You're bragging about spending $65K on a half ton pickup?

View All Quotes

Cool story, bro.

Adults are talking.

Link Posted: 8/16/2015 9:22:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/16/2015 9:26:19 PM EDT by DocBach]

Guess I ought to go trade it in for a Kia, now I can be cool like the gangsta mice hamsters in the picture.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 9:28:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/16/2015 9:29:37 PM EDT by ScottyPotty]

Guess I ought to go trade it in for a Kia, now I can be cool like the gangsta mice hamsters in the picture.
View Quote

hamsters
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 9:29:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/31/2015 6:53:02 PM EDT by America-first]
My wife's got a 2013 Exclaim Model and its a very nice little car.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 9:31:01 PM EDT
Can't comment on that model, but the GF really likes her Forte. It's a 2011 and there's been zero problems.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 9:32:40 PM EDT
Does it come in the color "vagina"?
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 9:33:07 PM EDT
You can fit 3 car seats across the back. One of the only compact cars that can.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 9:39:51 PM EDT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYWHsOeDf3M
If you have little kids they might like it.....
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 9:44:03 PM EDT

View Quote

Not a recovery, at all. 65k for an F150 is one the biggest ass rapings I could imagine. Did you even attempt to negotiate the price? I was feeling great until I read your post and now my stomach is all in knots feeling bad for you.

As for the OP, I recently bought a Toyota Camry as the family car and the thing that steered me clear of the Kias was when I looked up reviews, there were LOADS of them that said the motors loved to grenade around the 100k mark and if buying used the 100k warranty is not transferable. I never looked at the Soul, but I imagine the powerplant for the Optima is identical, if not majorly similar.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 9:45:26 PM EDT
My SO just got a 2015. Gets about 31 mph ,fits us and the 2 German sheps and some luggage for weekend trips, and runs very smoothly. Pretty nice little commuter car IMO. A service at 7500 miles including oil, tire rotation, vacuum and wash costs $45.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 9:48:22 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Snkn_and_Pkn:

Not a recovery, at all. 65k for an F150 is one the biggest ass rapings I could imagine. Did you even attempt to negotiate the price? I was feeling great until I read your post and now my stomach is all in knots feeling bad for you.
View All Quotes

I didn't spend $65,000 on an F150, it was sarcasm because of the fact that all of arfcom believes that F150's only come in that flavor.

I have Z plan pricing, so my F150 (which wasn't a Plazitinum model) was under dealer pricing before rebates.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 10:03:16 PM EDT
They don't get very good fuel mileage.  2015 is rated at 24/30.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 10:05:08 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Thayldt21:
I am in the same camp.
I live in Portland Oregon an i see similar used pricing.

The new models. Have an added $2,000 adjusted market value increase attached to them.
See weston kia of gresham..  Nearest my residents.

Horse shit an all....
View Quote

Hah I live right by there.
Hello neighbor!
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 10:15:29 PM EDT
My wife bought a brand new Kia Rio in 2012 (same running gear as Soul).
90,000 miles not one problem. I think the gas mileage estimates were unfortunate.

But they made it right.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 10:17:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/16/2015 10:28:49 PM EDT by Sabrelad]

I didn't spend $65,000 on an F150, it was sarcasm because of the fact that all of arfcom believes that F150's only come in that flavor.

I have Z plan pricing, so my F150 (which wasn't a Plazitinum model) was under dealer pricing before rebates.
View All Quotes

"Now that I'm an adult, my $65,000 F150 eats Hyundai Elantras and shits out Kia Souls."

What an adult thing to say...

Link Posted: 8/17/2015 1:15:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/17/2015 1:15:52 AM EDT by 501st]
Originally Posted By Omni:
I need to upgrade from my current single cab S10 to help haul the new family around. I have been looking hard at the Kia Soul due to the size being big enough for our needs; but not oversized like other vehicles on the road and the cost point. Around here I can get them new for around $16K and used ones with anywhere from 40K-80K miles on them for around $12k.

View Quote

Honda Fit.

Link Posted: 8/17/2015 1:38:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/17/2015 1:39:52 AM EDT by anesvick]
My only warning would be that parts cost on KIAs can be pretty obscene ($750 for one of the Keyless entry FOBs, $300+ for an alternator).  They seem to be pretty nice vehicles for what they are, though I don't really like the styling.  

Maybe look at a Honda Fit as mentioned, or a used CR-V if you want something larger.  

Link Posted: 8/17/2015 2:09:25 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 501st:
Originally Posted By Omni:

Honda Fit.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/22/Honda_FIT_13G_%28GK3%29_front.jpg/800px-Honda_FIT_13G_%28GK3%29_front.jpg

Honda Element.

Link Posted: 8/17/2015 2:14:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/17/2015 2:15:17 AM EDT by tcrpe]

View All Quotes

Cool story, bro.

Adults are talking.

Link Posted: 8/17/2015 2:41:17 AM EDT
Ive rented two for long distance trips.
No general complaints and enjoyed driving them.
I would rent another one with no hesitation.
If I was in the market for a small suv like that I would definitely pick the Soul over the Honda.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 2:44:24 AM EDT
Not a very interesting car, but definitely a useful one.  The interior is vast for such a small car.  Not much get up and go, but not really supposed to either.  My roommate has one, and while my fiesta gets waaay better mpg, I'm jealous of her cargo space.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 2:55:12 AM EDT
I have a base 2012 with the manual, absolutely no complaints. Good little car. It does what I need it to do: haul me to work and to get groceries and shit. I'm married and have a big cock, so unlike some of my fellow arfcommers who happen to have white-framed sun glasses, "tribal" tattoos, a wet noodle, and $50k+ bro trucks, I feel no need to use a car to compensate for anything. I'd rather have the extra $35k for my retirement fund.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 2:57:59 AM EDT
I rented one recently for business, drove it to Las Vegas (5 hours) and used it for a week.  Had three huge guys in the car, plus our gear.  No issues on the flats.  Peppy, and the A/C worked good.  Turns very quickly.  Straight simple dash.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 3:40:10 AM EDT
Originally Posted By jekbrown:
I have a base 2012 with the manual, absolutely no complaints. Good little car. It does what I need it to do: haul me to work and to get groceries and shit. I'm married and have a big cock, so unlike some of my fellow arfcommers who happen to have white-framed sun glasses, "tribal" tattoos, a wet noodle, and $50k+ bro trucks, I feel no need to use a car to compensate for anything. I'd rather have the extra $35k for my retirement fund.
View Quote

Wow, nailed me to a T except you forgot my flat billed hats.

Link Posted: 8/17/2015 4:11:27 AM EDT
Rappin hamsters, whats not to like ?

I have had a rental for about a week. I thought I looked ridiculous in it so went back and asked for a different car

Then I got one for a one day rental. I kingd of liked it. It was the newer one with the rounded front. Then again maybe I'm thinking of 2 different cars.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 4:32:22 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 4:36:22 AM EDT

Link Posted: 8/17/2015 4:40:31 AM EDT

base model Patriot is cheaper and has more room for a family.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 4:40:59 AM EDT
If the price is within your budget, I'd look at a Scion XB.  They are in a similar size class and because they are Toyota they are probably a bit longer lived.
View Quote

We have 175k miles on a Scion xD. Replaced a water pump, otherwise a very trouble-free car.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 4:43:46 AM EDT
Drove one halfway across the country, and occasionally since then. I hated it. Buzzy, high-revving to keep speed, and one of the worst cars to handle in a crosswind. Just goes all over the road. Very light and high profile is an unpleasant combo.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top