Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/27/2005 10:22:10 PM EDT
This is pretty lame, but I feel the need to vent.

I moved in with a buddy of mine in March. I'd just lost a roommate, end of my lease, wanted to find something closer to school eventually and was looking for a place to stay for a couple of months. My buddy had also just lost his 50k+ a year job and could only find work doing catering for $7 an hour. I needed a place for the short term and he was going to have to move out if he didn't rent out his spare bedroom. (two bedroom house @ $800/month rent, of which I pay half)

Now I've been working my ass off all summer, 70 hours + a week, dealing with other shit that popped up, haven't had time to find a new place and move in. I originally told him I'd be moving out by 1 August but that didn't happen. As soon as I leave I guess he's going to have to move, tho, so he's not pushing me out the door by any means.

I get a call from a female friend of mine who's going to be flying in from CA and wants to come catch a game at the University. She'll be coming down with 2-3 of her hot friends, one of whom I'm interested in, and they are be looking for a place to stay. I, of course, offer up my humble home, which is really kind of a shithole. I then call up my roommate to let him know they'll be staying next Saturday night, sorta seeking his approval but more or less letting him know that I'd already given them permission. The first thing he says, flat out, is "No, I don't want that many people staying at my house." He then kinda wobbles, and I get off the phone with him before I tell him to go fuck himself. He then calls back saying he might have to work the next morning at 0500 and he (27 years old) can't stay at his girlfriend's house (35 years old) because her parents will be in town. I tell him we'll talk about it when I see him tomorrow.

Keep in mind that I've had exactly one houseguest in the last five months of living there and that I see my friend from California maybe twice a year. This is totally irrespective of the possibility that I might get to know the other chick coming down a little better. Now, were this me, I would go out of my way to accomodate my roommate in such a situation, either sucking up the fact that I would probably be awakened by folks rolling in from the bars at 2 a.m. or even going so far as to stay at another friend's house.

This sounds pretty petty and overly dramatic, I know, but c'mon-am I not right to be pissed off here?
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:35:50 PM EDT
you can be my room mate and bring hott chicks home anytime you want as long as they have friends
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:39:27 PM EDT
Tell him you are interested in this chick and it is imparative she stay at your place. It's in the guy code he MUST, no matter what, oblige you then. Otherwise it would be considered cock blocking and is a severe violation!
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:42:32 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:42:50 PM EDT
Soooooo it sounds like you are telling us that you have ZERO negotiating skills
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:43:16 PM EDT
He's gay.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:45:51 PM EDT
How far away are you from Liberty EDU? I've thought about going there but costs are somewhat prohibitive.

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:48:12 PM EDT
3 chicks....motel room with hot tub.... and you.

Fuck the roomie. He'll only make matters worse. Now is the time to be selfish and hoard the hotties.

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:48:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By David_Hineline:
In a partnership the person who say no always gets thier way. So yes you are wrong. Put your friends up in a motel.

I may be forced to do so, seeing as how I've already offered. But I shouldn't have to-altho I moved into a house he'd been renting for several years, my paying half the rent entitles me to some rights, doesn't it?

I can probably negotiate this to an amicable conclusion, but shit-should this really be a point of contention? The work excuse is bullshit. The principle reason he's bitching is his personality-MY house, MY way.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:50:14 PM EDT

Originally Posted By fadedsun:
How far away are you from Liberty EDU? I've thought about going there but costs are somewhat prohibitive.

I'm in Charlottesville, about an hour north of Lynchburg where I believe Liberty is located. Don't really know much about the place.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:50:38 PM EDT
His house, his rules. You are the tenant.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:52:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/27/2005 10:53:37 PM EDT by glockguy40]
both your house... fuck his way.

As for the hot chicks....

this thread is useless without pics
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:53:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ARDOC:
His house, his rules. You are the tenant.

Well, I wouldn't be raising a fuss if he owned the place. But I acknowledge that he was there first and in that sense it's "his". Doesn't mean that it's still acceptable behavior that I have to stand for and I'll be out before the end of next month, but it's still a shitty of him.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:53:13 PM EDT
Man I've had some weird roommates, but I'd deal with it if I could have girls in my dorm. I always wanted to make Jess a big texas dinner but because of my school's taliban-esque rules we're not even allowed to touch or talk after 9pm....

I had a roommate once that took FORTY caffeine pills. He was in a trance for four days. He pretty much "slept". He looked liked he was sleeping but he was actualyl moving around on his bed talking to us and doing stuff. We told him to punch his alarm clock (gift from a friend) and he reached up and just started hitting it with wild abandon.

Another roommate of mine used to run around the rooms after lightsout and jump on people while they were sleeping while shouting "ARR! I AM THE BUTTPIRATE, SURRENDER YOUR BOOTY! ARRR!"

This is at a christian school, mind you.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:55:31 PM EDT
If you pay rent he has no right to tell you know. Just doit or her or both.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:56:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/27/2005 10:56:53 PM EDT by glockguy40]

Man I've had some weird roommates, but I'd deal with it if I could have girls in my dorm. I always wanted to make Jess a big texas dinner but because of my school's taliban-esque rules we're not even allowed to touch or talk after 9pm....

I had a roommate once that took FORTY caffeine pills. He was in a trance for four days. He pretty much "slept". He looked liked he was sleeping but he was actualyl moving around on his bed talking to us and doing stuff. We told him to punch his alarm clock (gift from a friend) and he reached up and just started hitting it with wild abandon.

Another roommate of mine used to run around the rooms after lightsout and jump on people while they were sleeping while shouting "ARR! I AM THE BUTTPIRATE, SURRENDER YOUR BOOTY! ARRR!"

WTF... that's cause for a beatdown if I ever heard one.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:56:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By glockguy40:

Sorry. Maybe after next weekend.

I think I might just go with NAM's suggestion. Fuck 'em, I'll party it up and then move out the next week, leave my roommate high and dry. If he doesn't have a contingency plan, that's his problem: he knows I was planning on leaving already and if he wants more notice maybe next time he'll show some courtesy.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:58:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By METT-T:

I think I might just go with NAM's suggestion. Fuck 'em, I'll party it up and then move out the next week, leave my roommate high and dry. If he doesn't have a contingency plan, that's his problem: he knows I was planning on leaving already and if he wants more notice maybe next time he'll show some courtesy.

Or you could always scare him out of the house by jumping on him in the middle of the night and yelling "ARR! I AM THE BUTTPIRATE, SURRENDER YOUR BOOTY! ARRR!"
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 11:00:08 PM EDT

WTF... that's cause for a beatdown if I ever heard one.

yeah, imagine how much fun they'd be if they were drunk all the time. I couldn't stand college kids when I was their age and I have absolutely no patience for them now.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 11:01:43 PM EDT

Or you could always scare him out of the house by jumping on him in the middle of the night and yelling "ARR! I AM THE BUTTPIRATE, SURRENDER YOUR BOOTY! ARRR!"

I'd be afraid to see how that went over. If it wasn't for his burly, mustached girlfriend I'd say he was gay....mmm...hey, wait a minute....
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 11:04:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 22bad

I can probably negotiate this to an amicable conclusion, but shit-should this really be a point of contention? The work excuse is bullshit. The principle reason he's bitching is his personality-MY house, MY way.

I don't know his personality or your track record(for fixing damage that you cause)
but, I don't think that I would be thrilled to have several "guests" that I didn't know in my home

Everyone is different, work with what you got(make lemonade)develop that skill and it
will serve you well as you get older, many life situations are GREATLY IMPROVED by
a little bit of "negotiating" skill. I feel the same way you do, it shouldn't be a problem
but that is not the way the world usually works, get used to it, deal with it, HAVE A GOOD TIME
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 11:13:05 PM EDT
Just tell him that none of them will leave your room for the duration of their stay. Since you pay some of the bills, this is certainly your right.

This way, you both have what you want; he keeps his privacy, and you get all the nookie one man can stand!
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 11:50:08 PM EDT
Have the one you are interested in stay with you. The rest can stay with me.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:04:57 AM EDT

(two bedroom house @ $800/month rent, of which I pay half)

Thats the key phrase.

Tell him that you will be bringing the girls to stay and he can go pound sand. You pay half the rent, he doesn't pay it all, and therefore doesn't wear the proverbial "daddy-pants".
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:11:02 AM EDT

Originally Posted By MuRDoC:
you can be my room mate and bring hott chicks home anytime you want as long as they have friends

Heck yeah. I think we need to revoke the roommate's man and/or buddy card.

"What's that? A friend of yours is coming into town and bringing hot chicks with her? You might get pie? I might get to see half-nekkid pies walking around the house? Hell yeah! Bring 'em on!"
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:30:39 AM EDT
If you throttle your roommate post pics and the police report.

JK

Max
Top Top