Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/28/2013 8:51:37 PM EDT
My step dad sold his father's Colt Delta Elite for $300 to a gunshop when he died.

My great aunt let a logging company clear first growth cherry and oak from her property in VA, "no charge".

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 8:58:20 PM EDT
[#1]
My mother kept house like it was a marine barracks.  She couldn't stand to have stuff in storage..... even in places that she hardly ever went like the garage.

She gave away my grandfathers hand made tool chest. It was made out of Oak and he was an excellent carpenter. It was a large chest FULL of very good old hand tools. Saws, planes, augers, hammers, those folding wooden measuring tapes, etc.

When I was young, I used to go thru that chest and wipe down all the tools.  I came home from college one break and went down the basement to find it gone.  I freaked out and was furious.

She sold my dads old 30-40 Krag for 35 bucks.  

I purchased her a nice freezer that she gave away..... I would have taken it.

Some other stuff that I can't think of right now.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 9:05:08 PM EDT
[#2]
My Grandpa sold an officer's sword he found in a burned out cave in Japan. I think he got $1,000 for it. He did the same with an antique slot machine.
I don't know what he got for the slot machine, but I think both would be pretty cool to have. Damn shame.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 9:06:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Oldsmobile 442......  

Very rich uncle that sold it because be was board of it before he knew I was getting into cars.
He is the kind of guy that would have given me the car in a second. Rich toss money around for love type.

Missed it by 6 months... Had the hood scoops and everything. This guy wouldn't buy a car unless it was a major show winner.

What can you do!

Karma would have bit me though. In the end he went to federal prison for 15 years for setting up fake medical studies and embezzling over $25 million of government grants...

He faked all the results and published too! The only recovered $4 million.  

Uncle Rob had some fun!
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 9:09:11 PM EDT
[#4]
my uncle sold a john deere B ,   worth 10-12 g  in mint shape for 3 g..    the guy came back in 5 minutes with the cash....  and hired a local tow truck was there in 15 minutes,      no kidding uncle    he stole it, that why  he was off so fast........  I would of gave him 10g  without thought .
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 9:09:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Grandpa and his 3 brothers/sisters sold the family land that had been passed down for years. Worth about $300k and they let it go for $50k without even talking to any of us grandkids that would have bought it in a second!
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 9:13:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Had a great uncle who sold out the family land of 500+ acres of prime hunting in the hills outside of town w/o consulting everyone else

Beautiful spot too
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 9:15:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Had a great uncle who sold out the family land of 500+ acres of prime hunting in the hills outside of town w/o consulting everyone else

Beautiful spot too
View Quote

What part of TX?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 9:18:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I gave my mom a dog I raised and had in my family for 8 years because hers had died and she was depressed and lonely. She grew attached so I let her keep her and she put her down without giving me a chance to say goodbye. I need to let go of it but I've never quite been able to forgive her for it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:28:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Back in the 90's my mom gave away all my GI Joe's and Star Wars figures when I went into the Army. I had a huge trunk full of the action figures, accessories, and vehicles. I was planning on giving them to my kids one day but she didn't like the trunk so she called the junk man to come and get it out of her house. She did not tell me for 4 years and when I told her how much they could be worth she told me I could just buy some new ones... WTF!!!

I am pretty sure the junk man was excited to see what he was getting for free. Oh well, they are gone now so no point in crying over spilled milk.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:42:49 PM EDT
[#10]
My aunt sold my grandpa's gun collection just to spite her siblings.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:46:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Baseball cards. Mint baseball cards. I was mad about collecting cards when I was a kid. Had several boxes full of cards from the 60's, 70's, 80's, a few from the 50's. Probably 3-4 thousand. Some I know were pretty valuable.

She sold them all at a garage sale for like $5 a box.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 11:11:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Another land-sale here.  I was too young to even know about it, but my father was perturbed.  His uncle had around 100 acres of land in a rural town about an hour from where we lived.  When he died, it went to my grandparents.  There was a house on the property, but they only went there on the weekends.  As such, they kept getting burglarized.  Whoever it was took a lot of furniture and a few firearms.  One day, they sold it, without asking if anyone in the family would have liked to have purchased it.  My father would have, but never got the chance.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 11:52:58 PM EDT
[#13]
'Stan', my Siamese twin... I think he was given to a med school.  We were so close, it was like we were attached at the hip.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 1:02:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Great grandparents farm land, 180 acre's.

My dad inherited it and sold it for $4000 in the early 60's .

It is now full of gas wells.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 1:34:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Great grandparents farm land, 180 acre's.
My dad inherited it and sold it for $4000 in the early 60's .
It is now full of gas wells.
View Quote

Oh man.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 1:43:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Nothing overly valuable, but there were alot of sentimental things that were either given away or possibly stolen when my parents "befriended" the contractors who were renovating their house..
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 2:45:26 AM EDT
[#17]
My mother got a 1962 MGA MKIII in the divorce....actually dad gave it to her free and clear because he built it for her....it was essentially done just needed reassembled from paint...all new or reconditioned stuff....numbers matching, limited numbers and with some rare options.

When they split mom put it in her new garage with the intent on getting it reassembled and finished and there it sat for years...years ago I put a bug in her ear and said that though she didn't intend to sell it now that IF she ever did I want first crack.

Recently, (last month) she had some pretty serious health issues that set her back...not knowing any other way to help I offered to buy the car again...I gave her a high valuation for it and told her, that while it was her desire to get the car running for herself I would get it going and finish it and at least she would be able to enjoy it...I also guaranteed that I would never sell the car.

Here is where I obviously failed....I told her the reason I wanted it....even though the car was hers, dad built it and I helped (I started "working" on it when I was 5)

I have fond memories of working on that British hunk of Lucas Electric shit....and it's the only car that me and pops worked on together left in the family...

A week after she assured me that she was still not interested in parting with it she sold it to some unnamed guy who offered $500 more than I did....hell I would have paid her that and then some....

The only reason I found out about the sale is cause my sister told me it was gone.....I asked my mom about it and the bitch bold faced lied to me and assured me that she had not sold it...unfortunately I have a pic of it on the trailer leaving....

Honestly it ain't the thought that mom sold it as much as she lied and filled my ass full of smoke....hell if I would have owned it I wouldn't even been able to drive it as I'm too tall....I just wanted it for the memories really...

Never expected my mom to sink to that low....2000 miles away ain't even far enough I guess...
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 2:54:28 AM EDT
[#18]
My Dad sold his 1967 GT500 a year before I was able to drive because "it's too dangerous for me"
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 2:58:04 AM EDT
[#19]
A Glastron Ski boat
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 3:27:00 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

My Dad sold his 1967 GT500 a year before I was able to drive because "it's too dangerous for me"
View Quote

Oooohhhh fuck.

Gay dude. Super gay.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 3:37:13 AM EDT
[#21]
some bad ones here...
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 4:22:02 AM EDT
[#22]
A Korean War M1 Carbine bring-back.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 4:33:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Every one of my relatives has done their best to make any family heirlooms disappear before/after someone has passed. anything I was promised or money put away for education ect. has disappeared. It was comical watching them sucking up to/ fighting with each other/ over an ailing relative to make off with every little crumb.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 4:37:45 AM EDT
[#24]
A Winchester Model 1873 rifle that belonged to my great-grandfather.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 4:41:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Mom gave my dad's 38 Special to the BIL. She also gave away my old fishing rods and reels and surfboards.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 4:42:47 AM EDT
[#26]
My dumb assed aunt sold all of my grandmother's Depression glass for pennies on the dollar.............some of it was worth quite a bit of cash
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 4:43:11 AM EDT
[#27]
My grandfather fought in Europe. Apparently killed an SS soldier or officer or something and had his luger as a trophy. It eventually made it home. He passed away when I was very young and the gun eventually ended up in his brother in law's (my dads maternal uncle) hands. He lived in Florida t the time and took it to "shoot snakes" in his yard. Thing is, he's a crooked lying son of a bitch and while he claimed years later that it was "lost" I know good and damn well he sold the damn thing.

I'm the only person in my family for generations with any interest at all in guns and hunting. My father was the eldest son and handled settling grandpas estate. No doubt the gun would eventually been mine to be properly preserved and maintained if that bastard hadn't swiped it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 4:44:41 AM EDT
[#28]
My mom gave away my trumpet (it was a nice Olds) to my younger brother. I didn't care if he used it but it was mine, mine!
I think he eventually pawned it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 4:46:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Well, I was deployed to Bosnia in 2001.  My Dad passed away right before Christmas.  I came home for the funeral etc.  I went back and didn't get home until April 2002.  Sometime during that timeframe by brother in law swooped in.  He wanted something to remember Dad by he said.  My dad's carry pistol was a Taurus .357 magnum.  Now, it's not the most high priced or sexy gun, but it worked well and he liked it.  Anyway, BIL caught mom emotional and she let him have it, unbeknownst to me.

I get home and life goes on.  I thought about it but never asked for it, I figured it was poor taste so I let it go for then and wanted to get my life straight before I took on something like that.

Fastforward to 2005, I'm in Iraq, Katrina hits the coast, where I lived at the time, I lost a couple Arisaka rifles, an old Winchester 44.40 lever action, and an SKS.  I didn't come home, mom told me no need too since all was lost and she was gutting the house.

I got home in late Dec that year.  Started working on my house.  A little while later I asked about dad's gun.  She told me what she did and that she was regretting it.  I was pissed to say the least.  I let it go for awhile.

In 2008 my sister told us she was divorcing my BIL.  I once again took on the cause of dad's gun.  He refused to give it back and said ma gave it to him.  My reply was it wasn't hers to give away, we can do this nice or we can do this ugly.  He just kinda scoffed, whatever.

I went to Illinois for the 4th of July that year.  One, to help my sister move, second to retrieve my gun.  Mission one was accomplished fairly quickly.  Mission two, well it involved blading at 45, knife handing, and grabbing him by his neck.  Nonetheless after much adieu that Taurus .357 magnum is resting comfortably in my safe in my home

Hope this helps the thread with the feel good part, I know it made me feel better driving home with it.  We still talk and bullshit everyonce in a while too, no hard feelings and he admitted he was wrong and I said I handled it the wrong way as well (mostly to make him feel good )
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 4:49:01 AM EDT
[#30]
My step mother kept every single one of my fathers guns about 20 total.My brother and I to this day talk about them.We want our birth right heirlooms.Oh she gave some of them to here fucking 3rd husband.My dad was #2 he died while they had been married.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 5:01:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
My step mother kept every single one of my fathers guns about 20 total.My brother and I to this day talk about them.We want our birth right heirlooms.Oh she gave some of them to here fucking 3rd husband.My dad was #2 he died while they had been married.
View Quote

That's rough. But did you know, the most common causes of death at home are falls, poisonings, fires, inhalation and suffocation, and drowning?

For Christmas, may I suggest you get her a ladder, new cookware, and a swimming pool?
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 5:36:19 AM EDT
[#32]
My grandmother on my mothers side had a running, all original tourqouise and white '57 Chevrolet. Fins. Chrome. I was maybe 7  or 8 tops, but I remember agitating for that thing. Of course no one took an 8 year old seriously, Dad had zero interest in cars, and they certainly didn't  have the time or money to have it trailered from Georgia to Texas. I think the family sold it for $300.00

To this day I continue to buy back firearms from my BIL that he got when my  wife's father passed away, he has no kids, and I feel like I need to preserve her family's legacy, since there's not much on my side.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 5:40:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Can I get a list of names and phone numbers from you people?
I'd like to meet your relatives. I have cash.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 5:45:59 AM EDT
[#34]
My FIL gave away a WWII jeep and sold the hunting land it was stored
on well below market value without talking to anyone.  

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 5:46:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Bring back 98k Mauser, a Jap 7.7, that were my Grandpa's but were promised to me when I was old enough.

An original Burton Woody 110 Snowboard, supurb condition...given to the neighbor's kids I don't even know.

My friggin Lego's. Naw...really Mom? I *doubt* your 10 year old grandson and 7 year old graddaughter would care for them.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 5:49:10 AM EDT
[#36]
My Dad once sold a bunch of antique fishing lures that he had been collecting since the 1930s. When I found out, I said; "Gee Dad, I would have like to have kept those" His response was; "I had no idea you would be interested in those". This was despite the fact that we had done a LOT of fishing together from the Gulf of Mexico to Prince William Sound, AK and everywhere in between.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 6:00:56 AM EDT
[#37]
My grandma gave my grandpa's guns to my junkie cousin who pawned them within a week. This was after they had been promised to me several times, in front of several witnesses (including grandma). Wasnt anything super nice, couple of 38 revolvers, a 30/30, maybe an old shotgun or two, can barely remember...but they were what I learned to shoot on what I killed my first squirrels with etc. The best part is after I calmed down I went to my cousin and offered to buy them and he told me he pawned them for basically nothing I could just go get them out. Well it was too late and the shop had sold all but one. Still pisses me off 20 years later.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 6:02:35 AM EDT
[#38]
My grandfather traded his dad's Auto 5 for a new production 870 20G!? After that we had a talk about offering me right of first refusal on firearms he wanted to sell or trade. He didnt know any of his grandkids were interested in firearms, he does now.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 6:06:44 AM EDT
[#39]
My grandfather brought back a Japanese Shin Gunto from WWII.  I thought it was the coolest thing in the world when I was little.  He died when I was 7.  My mom asked about the sword about 6 months later... turns out that the local junk collector came to buy some tools and assorted junk out of my grandpa's shed.  My grandma showed him the sword and told him how scared she was that one of the kids would find it and hurt themselves.  She tossed it in with his junk purchase for free, just to protect all of us.  A major family ordeal ensued.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 6:09:41 AM EDT
[#40]
My SO hates clutter.  The problem is, she doesn't understand the value of "guy stuff".  We have been together a long, long time and I had gotten two Honda Trail dirtbikes to restore for the two bows.  The blue one I had running in no time and was getting the parts together for the red one.  I came home from a business trip to find the red one gone.  GONE!!!!  She said she was cleaning the barn, something she wasn't allowed to do, for obvious reasons, and noticed that it hadn't been moved or worked on to her recollection.  I took her over to the workbench and showed her all of the parts, cleaned and ready to go.  

Another time I came home and noticed she had had a garage sale.  Most of the clothes hadn't sold, so she had called in the Easter Seals truck to come and take it away.  As I walked up the guy was carrying my tie rack.  ALL of my ties were on it.  All of them were silk, back when silk ties were expensive as hell.  She said since I didn't wear ties to work anymore WE didn't need them...  

On a happier note.  When my paternal grandfather died I learned something of old southern traditions.  I am the last of my line, as such, ALL of his possessions passed to me, not to my dad.  When I arrived in Alabama for the funeral, the entire family was waiting for me to tell them what I wanted to do with his possessions.  Anything I said pertaining to them was law.  I made three decisions.  All WW2 memorabilia was to go to my dad, all guns were to go to my dad, and I took one old beat up Boker Hawk bill pocket knife that grandpa ALWAYS carried.  The rest of the family got everything else.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 6:15:03 AM EDT
[#41]
1967 Cadmium yellow Porsche 911

Dad bought it while we were overseas...brought it back to the US and left it at his Mom's for 8 years..eventually towed it out and had it fixed up and running. Threw a rod in Atlanta on a cross country trip and left it in a shop for a few years..went back and sold it for $1000

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 6:25:09 AM EDT
[#42]
My sister looted my dads house after he was killed,. She got thousands of dollars in silver coins , including pre communist Russian rubles. She got about $450k in bank accounts. And she took things he made like a lamp from a mortar shell . He was in a mortar unit on d-day . She pawned lots of tools and at least two guns . The bright side is karma has caught up and she is now broke living in a south Georgia rental house that belongs to her in laws .

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 6:27:55 AM EDT
[#43]
My grand parents donated my great-grandfather's OSS uniform to a museum.  Only upside was that I got to sit in the tank that Arnold rode in when he served in the Austrian military.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 6:34:28 AM EDT
[#44]
Fender Lead II Guitar

My uncle played guitar when he was younger, and had a few that he wanted to give away. For me? The one who has been playing since he was 12 and loves Fenders/Strats? I got the $100 Sears special. My cousin, who has never played any musical instrument and who will sell shit as soon as he needs money, gets the Fender. He promptly sold it to my friend (who also plays guitar) for a couple hundred bucks, and my friend won't sell it to me

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 6:35:15 AM EDT
[#45]
Dad sold a Honda Dream Machine with white walled tires for "parts" since he couldn't find a new float bowl for it.   ARGGHHHHHHH . . . .
I sorta wanted it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 6:38:28 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I made three decisions.  All WW2 memorabilia was to go to my dad, all guns were to go to my dad, and I took one old beat up Boker Hawk bill pocket knife that grandpa ALWAYS carried.  The rest of the family got everything else.
View Quote

If only all such decisions were handled so well in Alabama we would be much better off.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 6:44:19 AM EDT
[#47]
My wife's father's aunt willed him a real suit of armor.  Not wanting it, he gave it to is aunt's neighbor without asking anybody in the family if they wanted it.  We gladly would have paid to have it shipped from Chicago where his aunt lived to here in Dallas where we live.  When we told him what it was worth and that we really wanted it, he was not happy with himself.

ETA....The armor had been in the family for many many years.  

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 6:45:03 AM EDT
[#48]
7 figures in cold hard cash.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 6:58:38 AM EDT
[#49]
Dad sold my grand parent's farm without asking any of us.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 7:03:28 AM EDT
[#50]
I have yet to experience this yet but I know I will.

My grandparents have accumlated a lot of nice things over the years.
1970 Ford Torino w 429 cobra jet drag pack.
1967 Plymouth Fury III that was brought back from Panama. Fully restored.

Some family heirloom guns etc..

I have an aunt and her children. They are thieving, low lifes' that will pawn or take whatever for a few bucks.
My dad allowed my aunt to live in his extra house he owned. It took 100,000$ off the sale price after she moved out.
Walls tore out, doors gone, house smelled of cat piss. It was gross.
My dad (after my mom moved out, Mom needed space from his bipolar and drinking), let my two male cousins (yup from the above aunt) move in the house because he was lonely.
They stole my dads cash, and cell phone, and pretty much anything else they could get their hands on.
Luckily my dad caught on quick and before it got worse.

My grandparents told me after my dad passed away that I was the only executor, of their wills'.
They also own a pretty good storage and moving business.
I pray they go together. I honestly do not think my grandmother or grandfather could make it without the other.

I know that being a executor is a burden, but to make sure that the family heirlooms are passed down correctly and not pawned off I will accept it.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top