Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/1/2007 12:09:56 PM EDT
So as not to hijack Johninaustin's thread;

What are some things your kids have said/done, mostly because you were a cop?

I was watching a Walker Texas Ranger episode with my then 8 year old daughter. Some BG tried to stab Walker's honey, and Walker tackled the guy who fell on his own knife and died.  She commented about it, and I started to say that some people just need killing, when she interrupted me and completed the sentence.  

An officer on another forum told about once when he, his wife and daughter were driving somewhere they saw a prison bus (old school bus painted gray) and his daughter said out loud, "hey look dad, those scumbags are gong to school!".

Link Posted: 12/1/2007 1:41:31 PM EDT
[#1]
My daughter (4) wandered in while Dallas SWAT was on one evening.

"Daddy... are those bad guys?" she asked, pointing to the guys in full kit.

No sweetie, those are police officers who are going to try and get the bad guys.

"Are they gonna kill them?"

Maybe sweetie - but police officers try not to kill folks if they don't have to. It's better to try to take them to jail.

"Is that why they have guns like you?"

Yes sweetie.

"Well, they need to be careful in case the bad guy has guns."

I'm sure they'll be careful honey.

Link Posted: 12/1/2007 3:08:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 5:48:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I tell my son I'm a fireman, but he is smart for 5yo. He knows daddy is a cop. He even has a little badge he wears on his jacket.  When he was younger, he would call other cops daddy when he saw the uniform, and then go up and hug them.  I said to my wife, "is there something you want to tell me."
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 9:49:43 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't have any kids, but my wifes uncle has a set of twins who are 4 and female. We spend alot of time with the kids and her uncle. Both the uncle and I work LE.

When the show COPS comes on they sing along with the Bad Boys song. When they are playing the will put each other in arm bars and pretend to arrest each other.

Its pretty funny!
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:42:16 AM EDT
[#5]
One day I home from work and I took my uniform shirt off and my 4 y/o girl saw my vest and asked what it was for.  I told her it in case a BG shot me I would live and be Okay.  She says "Why would anyone want to shoot you?  You are just my daddy"

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:09:13 PM EDT
[#6]
One of my good friends at the PD has a 4 year old son.  The three of us drove over to his house one day and as we got to the front door his son said, "Can I, daddy?"  My friend smiled and told me to watch what happened.  He opened the front door and his son started running through the house with his hands made into a gun yelling, "Get on the ground, scumbag!"  The kid cleared every room giving commands.  I still laugh thinking about it.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:50:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I tell my son I'm a fireman...

Why would you do that?

Jokingly, and seriously, just curious.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:50:44 PM EDT
[#8]
GSD17,
Several years ago, A cop was in a bank when it go robbed. His young daughter blerts out, "stop my dad is a cop". Then the robber shot and killed him.  That is why.  I took a Street Survival course in 1995(Atlantic City), and the instructors profiled this case.
I don't take my son into banks, but unfortunately my parents live in my patrol area.  I take him there to visit grandma.  I am overly causious when I am with him there.  Many of the folks I deal with are in the area.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:14:58 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
GSD17,
Several years ago, A cop was in a bank when it go robbed. His young daughter blerts out, "stop my dad is a cop". Then the robber shot and killed him.  That is why.  I took a Street Survival course in 1995(Atlantic City), and the instructors profiled this case.
I don't take my son into banks, but unfortunately my parents live in my patrol area.  I take him there to visit grandma.  I am overly causious when I am with him there.  Many of the folks I deal with are in the area.  

Gotcha!

Yeah, I don't much like going out in public in my area either.

I'm always packin, and my hat stays low on my brow.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 1:11:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Last Friday, I was walking out of the house with my rifle and pistols to go qualify as my son and daughter were still eating breakfast.  My wife asked me where I was going so early.   I told her and she jokingly said, "Well, don't shoot yourself."

Later, when my wife picked my 8 year old daughter up (from Catholic school), the teacher told my wife that my daughter had asked that the class pray that her Dad didn't shoot himself today.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top