Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/17/2002 7:02:53 PM EDT
I went to a good sized gunshow yesterday, in Orlando, FL at the Orlando fairgrounds.  

A nice show, all things considered, but I have to rant about the best and worst of the show:

THIEVES:

I hate thieves who are disguised as dealers. Here are a few examples of the sort of thievery I saw at the show:

1: Some clown selling an ultra-pimped-out Colt 9mm SMG, class III (full auto), in the most ridiculous multi-colored finish over a PINK base anodize that I've ever seen...and he wants FOURTEEN THOUSAND for it!    That's tops on my list for being a thief without actually breaking the law!

I was looking for a decent condition used A2 buttstock to replace an even worse one.  I found ONE dealer who had a few in the whole gunshow. They're not 'decent', they're TRASHED.   He wants 'only' EIGHTY BUCKS EACH for them.  Yes, they're complete with buffer tube, buffer, spring, etc...but a BRAND NEW ONE from Bushmaster RETAILS for $74.95!     What's this guy's problem???

Yet another clown is trying to sell old, used, rusty, beat-to-shit .223 stripper clips for sixty cents EACH.   I'll pay a nickel each and I could use a few hundred of them if they're in good shape.

Hero of the show:  The ammo dealer who's selling Winchester white box (Q3131) 5.56 ammo (WCC01 headstamp) for $3.75 a box.   I've paid more than that for PMC .223 when I bought a full case!   I bought all that WCC ammo I could afford!

It's amazing how different the prices can be for the same item at different tables.   USGI M16 cleaning kits, brand new, as low as 15 bucks and as high as 30.   Get a grip, man!

Funniest at show:   The people who come in all dressed up in their 'coolest' cammies with their 'coolest' AR-15 with a billion gadgets on it, and aren't there to buy, sell, or trade, but just to look 'cool' and display their toys and actually get to carry their rifle in public for once. Geeks, of a sort.

Scariest at show:  The occasional individual who would meet any 'profile' of a gang banger you could come up with, and it doesn't look like he's up to any good.  Seems mostly interested in chrome plated, low cost guns that look good when fired with a horizontal grip.   Takes pains to avoid looking in the general direction of any police officer or deputy at the show.

Disappointment:  I didn't see ONE dealer that was selling individual components of AR's.  Uppers, lowers, grips, buttstocks, etc. yes, but no small parts at all.   I was hoping to buy a spare set of fire control parts. None there that I saw, though.

Oh well, at least I found somebody selling green AR mag followers for a buck and a half each.  I bought enough for all my mags plus spares.

CJ

Link Posted: 2/17/2002 7:11:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Even with the high prices and the ripoffs and the weirdo's, gun shows are still better than going to the Dentist!
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 7:13:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I think you got screwed.  Most gun shows I've seen had at least one dealer who would sell the green followers for $1.00 if you bought ten or more.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 7:14:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I promise, I really was looking to buy another gadget to hang from my AR........looking for another set of cammies too!
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 7:50:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I know you guys all want to slam gunshows, but I am still glad we have them.

FU Sen. McCain, the Manchurian Canidate.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 8:02:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I went to a gun show today in Richardson, TX. Nobody was there! What a waste of $5! Anyway, I got to talk with couple who owns their own business-- I am a repeat customer...

I did see some very strange things though.

1. A guy had a label on his "AR15" marked in plain letters: "PRE BAN $2000". I took one look at it and said WTF is this???? it was a post-ban Colt Upper, so I picked it up and looked at the receiver-- it was a Match Target. Correct me if I am wrong, but Match Targets are not pre-ban are they???

2. A drunk guy was walking around asking where he can get ammo for his handgun that it looked like he just bought-- in a glock box. He smelled BAD and was stumbling around!-- you could tell he was drinking, and someone either let him in the show with a gun, or someone just sold a drunk a handgun!
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 8:27:07 PM EDT
[#6]
i got that beat.

Sioux falls, SD. huge show for this area. i picked up a nice PWA prevan,but thats beside the point. anyhow, a guy has a AR15 with triangal handguards flash supressor, and bayo lug (could have been of an old colt. or a PWA comando)it was pretty bet up. this showed great contrsat to the brand knew OLY PCR lower half. do i smell an illegal AW? he wanted 650 too, some poor guy will but that.
Link Posted: 2/18/2002 6:34:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
1: Some clown selling an ultra-pimped-out Colt 9mm SMG, class III (full auto), in the most ridiculous multi-colored finish over a PINK base anodize that I've ever seen...and he wants FOURTEEN THOUSAND for it!    That's tops on my list for being a thief without actually breaking the law!
View Quote

Heh, I've seen that SMG at the Tampa area gun shows.  Has the "RAD" took to it [rolleyes].  I cannot imagine anyone would ever fork out the money for that hideous beast.  Perhaps some rich guy will buy it for his skateboarding punk-ass kid or something [whacko].

[>:/] LL [>:/]
Link Posted: 2/18/2002 6:53:00 AM EDT
[#8]
The one you saw HAS to be the same one.  I can scarcely conceive of someone doing that TWICE.

The bad part is, somebody had to have done that recently to an existing transferrable SMG.  That's VANDALISM in my book.

A transferrable Colt 9mm SMG is intrinsically cool, but in this case, the finish adds a 'stupid factor' that outweighs the cool factor.

That clown really should consider having it stripped and refinished to the correct mil-spec finish, and maybe then somebody will actually BUY it.   It's too hideous to bring home as it is now!

CJ
Link Posted: 2/20/2002 3:48:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I think you got screwed.  Most gun shows I've seen had at least one dealer who would sell the green followers for $1.00 if you bought ten or more.
View Quote

Went to a Kentucky gun show in Lexington last weekend.  Tickets are now $7.00  parking free,  but unlike Louisville Kentucky fairgrounds  tickets $7.00, and parking is $3.00
Anyway I found only 4 green followers in the whole show from one large dealer.  They were $2.00 each.  I asked how much if I took them all, and with a smile he said $8.00  basically he ment just give me money or don't bother me, and go away.
Know we all know there are some really nice friendly dealers at the shows, and I say "I'M GLAD TO DO BUSINESS WITH YA!
Link Posted: 2/20/2002 3:59:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Went to a Kentucky gun show in Lexington last weekend.  Tickets are now $7.00  parking free,  but unlike Louisville Kentucky fairgrounds  tickets $7.00, and parking is $3.00
Anyway I found only 4 green followers in the whole show from one large dealer.  They were $2.00 each.  I asked how much if I took them all, and with a smile he said $8.00  basically he ment just give me money or don't bother me, and go away.
Know we all know there are some really nice friendly dealers at the shows, and I say "I'M GLAD TO DO BUSINESS WITH YA!
Link Posted: 2/20/2002 5:02:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I went to the fun show, by myself, BOTH days last weekend. I even paid to get in twice because the handstamp I got on Saturday had washed off completely.

I am dedicated to fun shows and always find something positive while attending them. I even ate some foods from new vendors at the last show.
Link Posted: 2/20/2002 6:26:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I went to one this past weekend
most people selling mags had tham at $20-30 with a lot of the finish missing
one table had them for $15, with more finish. Guess who I bought from
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 4:03:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Heck, I went to a Beanie Baby and Jerkey show and some guys had the nerve to set up and try and sell guns and ammo.
[img]http://www.beaniebabiesofficialclub.com/images/newbboc/headertophome.gif[/img][img]http://www.cache.net/rms/jerky.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 4:23:23 AM EDT
[#14]

Hero of the show:  The ammo dealer who's selling Winchester white box (Q3131) 5.56 ammo (WCC01 headstamp) for $3.75 a box.   I've paid more than that for PMC .223 when I bought a full case!   I bought all that WCC ammo I could afford!
View Quote

I believe that was the same person who was selling the case for $179 out the door.

This was the first show in a long time that I actually found something of interest at a good price. Including the case of ammo, there was a used Sig 220 for $425 and a HK 9mm for $475 that I could not decide upon which to get. After closer examination they were a bit too used and worn for my liking. Plus I am looking to sell a NIB Mini-14 before making my next purchase.

So, if you are looking to help out a fellow AR-15 member, you can purchase a Mini-14 Ranch NIB to help me make my next purchase.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top