Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Posted: 3/3/2008 5:12:02 PM EDT
news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080303/ap_on_re_us/bankruptcy_gift_cards

Essentially they're printing their own currency.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 5:15:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I buy the Walmart ones ay work at 90cent on the dollar all the time.

I dont see the Walledmart failing before I use them
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 5:17:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Good way to wipe out 26.3 billion in liablities
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 5:24:10 PM EDT
[#3]
What a great way to avoid debt.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 5:27:40 PM EDT
[#4]
How about outlawing bankruptcy instead?

The whole "reorg" thing is bullshit.  It mainly a way for company executives to be rewarded for stealing a company blind.

Link Posted: 3/3/2008 5:34:06 PM EDT
[#5]
That's some serious bullshit there.

Link Posted: 3/3/2008 5:37:05 PM EDT
[#6]
But if we outlaw gift cards, only outlaws will have them.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 5:37:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Another reason I don't use giftcards.

People who give you giftcards just haven't taken the time to actually go shopping for you , or don't know anything about you.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 5:37:49 PM EDT
[#8]
time to start "educating" some CEO's

I lost a lot of fucking money at UAL (I know I'm not alone) because of some selfish greedy bastages
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 5:41:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
But if we outlaw gift cards, only outlaws will have them.

yeah where rock is criminal criminals ROCK!!!
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 5:43:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Gift cards/gift certificates are free money for businesses.

Always has been, always will be.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 5:48:32 PM EDT
[#11]
I think thats BS. I think they should have to refund everyone who got a gift card during the holidays. I bet they knew that this was going to happen.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 5:49:32 PM EDT
[#12]
why someone would even purchase a gift card is beyond me.  Maybe if you have a large stock in the company and wish to have the money spent there or if for some reason you don't trust the person with cash...but other wise, why?  You don't get a discount, savings or any other benefit over a check or cash.  By giving one instead of cash you are actually just making things a larger hassle for your loved one.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 5:51:57 PM EDT
[#13]
A better alternative to gift cards are the Visa cash cards.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 5:54:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Gift cards are predicated on a certain percent of people losing or forgetting to use them. Same deal with rebates. Both are sucker bets.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 5:54:14 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

gotta read the fine print on those jokers too.

They add monthly fees, usage fees, inactivity fees, etc.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 6:00:56 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Gift cards are predicated on a certain percent of people losing or forgetting to use them. Same deal with rebates. Both are sucker bets.

not surprised.  Someone gave me a Dunkin Donuts gift card with a few bucks left on the balance.  I just threw it out because I don't even know where one is around here.

If theres even just 1K more people like me, thats a couple grand in Dunkin Donuts pocket for nothing.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 6:03:03 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

or what about cash?

I know its a crazy idea, but it just might work
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 6:03:28 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
why someone would even purchase a gift card is beyond me.  Maybe if you have a large stock in the company and wish to have the money spent there or if for some reason you don't trust the person with cash...but other wise, why?  You don't get a discount, savings or any other benefit over a check or cash.  By giving one instead of cash you are actually just making things a larger hassle for your loved one.

I seen alot of them given to someone who would just blow the cash.

They might sell the card to get cash though
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 8:05:11 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I seen alot of them given to someone who would just blow the cash.

They might sell the card to get cash though

I stated that reason in my original post as I didn't think the argument would hold any weight.

If you think the person would blow the cash, then why get them anything in the first place?  I doubt the man in the article was given two sharper image gift cards as his buisness associates where afraid he'd spend the money on dope.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 8:18:35 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

In most states, the government won't even let you keep the money from an unused gift card.  Gotta give it to the state.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 8:33:03 PM EDT
[#21]
I hate gift cards.  I gave my mother a direct link to the LaRue Tactical gear I wanted instead of gift cards this Christmas.  Guess what I got?  Gift cards!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top