Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/7/2005 10:43:45 AM EDT
You know the routine. Someone's car breaks down, they come to your door and ask to use the phone. You hand them the cordless and keep a close eye on them. Everyone has been on one end of it at one time or another. You hate to not give someone help, right?

I live on a pretty heavily traveled road. See quite a bit of traffic. All kinds of traffic. Nice cars, junk cars, etc.

So about a month ago, a junky old car (that looks to be barely roadworthy) stops across the road. Some nasty woman gets out of the car, walks around it a couple of times, then heads across the road towards my house.

Knocks on the door, asks to use the phone because she has a flat tire. IIRC, she said it was a local call. I hand her the phone and watch her the living room. She stays on the phone for about 10 minutes. Gives the phone back, thanks me, and goes back to her car to wait on her help. They show up about 20 minutes later, fix the flat, and they're gone.

So earlier this morning I'm writing checks for bills. I open the phone bill, notice the amount due is a little higher than usual. Look at the detailed section of the bill, there are two operator assisted calls listed. One was for a *69 because I was calling my wife from work and hanging up.

The other had a description that I cannot understand. $2 total for the call. Same day the woman stopped according to my blog. And the funny thing is that the call was a local call, within my exchange even.

So I guess the days of being a nice person and lending someone a hand are over. Can't trust anyone to not screw you over with every chance they get.

Now I'll have to call the phone company tomorrow (surprised they don't charge you for the call) and see if I can't get the charge removed. And then see if I can't have calls like that blocked from my phone. And find out what the hell that woman did to merit a $2 charge.

Damn shame.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:54:00 AM EDT
That is unfortunate, but I don't think the phone company will undo the charge, and rightfully so. Personally if it were me I would dial the phone number for the person and etc.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:56:29 AM EDT
Sadly, no good deed goes un-punished.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:58:41 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:01:50 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Paul:
$2 isn't much punishment.

It's the principle of it to me. I don't like being lied to by skanky women. I don't mind helping someone, but I also don't like having to pay so they can call their welfare friends.

Doesn't everyone have a cell phone now?

Having a cell phone around here doesn't do you much good when there are quite a few places you can't get a signal.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:03:42 AM EDT
She may have dialed someone locally that has an out of state cell phone and you were charged for a LD call in which case you are paying way too much for LD. OTH, star 69 is pretty much 1.99 for each use, unless you pay a monthly rate to use it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:05:02 AM EDT
Got high speed internet (cable, dsl)?

Get Vonage... and never worry about high phone bills again...

$25 bucks a month flat rate ANYHWHERE in the U.S., Puerto Rico, Or Canada.
You get caller ID, answering service, 911, and call waiting rolled into the deal.
Hook it up to your internet connection and go. You can use it anywhere in the world.
I use it in Korea. I have a U.S. telephone number.

I have given my cordless phone to a new guy for a few hours and told him to make as many calls back to the states as he wants. Why should I care? It doesnt cost me anymore.

How did a ten minute call in your area code cost $2.00 anyways?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:07:08 AM EDT

Originally Posted By JeromeAvers:
She may have dialed someone locally that has an out of state cell phone and you were charged for a LD call in which case you are paying way too much for LD. OTH, star 69 is pretty much 1.99 for each use, unless you pay a monthly rate to use it.

*69 is 75 cents per usage here.

The number listed on my phone bill is the same number she called that day. Just found the number. Got it via the redial button on my phone after she left.

Local call, local exchange. There are no cell #'s in this exchange.

I'm thinking she had the operator interrupt a call in progress or something. I'll find out tomorrow.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:08:36 AM EDT

Originally Posted By pv74:
How did a ten minute call in your area code cost $2.00 anyways?

I don't think it was the call, it was whatever she had the operator do.

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:09:25 AM EDT
If it'll help you keep on being nice, I'll reimburse you
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:10:53 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Rodent:
If it'll help you keep on being nice, I'll reimburse you

I would call the damn number and have them give me $2, but they would probably burn my house down.
Top Top