Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2004 4:16:55 AM EDT

apnews.excite.com/article/20040514/D82IASP80.html

May 14, 7:32 AM (ET)

By ANTHONY BREZNICAN
LOS ANGELES (AP) - The hot new creation at the world's top video game convention may be procreation. Amid the thousands of new products at the Electronic Entertainment Expo featuring shooting, racing, punching, slashing and pummeling, a handful of upcoming titles like "The Sims 2" and "Playboy: The Mansion" have focused on "love" - or at least the physical act of it - as the player's main goal.
In "The Sims 2," a sequel to one of the most popular PC games ever, players create and manipulate a family of characters, trying to satisfy their social, emotional and
Gamers have a host of emotional categories to fulfill - and the game differentiates between love and lust.
Jonathon Knight, a producer with Electronic Arts games, showcased a family he created: Sarah, the wife who wants to spend wholesome quality time with her family; Don, her fun-loving, overly amorous husband; and their son Alex, who just wants to make the transition from childhood to adolescence (Sims characters in this version can age.)
If you want Don to keep Sarah happy, then don't let him talk to Dina, his superbly curvaceous ex-girlfriend, who comes to their son's birthday pool-party in a revealing bikini. A meter shows that Don wants to talk to his sexy ex. "But if you indulge his wish to talk to her, then he wants to flirt with her, then he wants to kiss her," Knight said as the illicit digital lovers snuggled onscreen.

When the Sarah character finds out, she has a mental breakdown - her emotional levels plummet and her face becomes a mask of agony. (A digital therapist can be hired to calm her nerves.) If you don't let Don the philanderer have his way, he'll be unhappy for a while. But the game's artificial intelligence will eventually reshape his desires. "If I played him more faithfully, he would get used to being faithful," Knight said.   The sexuality in "The Sims 2," a PC-only game which will be rated T for teenagers when it's released Aug. 31, doesn't get any hotter or heavier than kissing. Characters can have intercourse - which may lead to pregnancy, just like real life - but onscreen coitus resembles giggly horseplay and tickling, not nudity or penetration.

"You can bash someone's head in, or shoot someone in a sniper game, but you can't play a game where you try to score with a girl," he said.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 4:33:21 AM EDT
[#1]
My wife and I have the first Sims... one of the only VG's she likes. Always making characters named after us and trying to hook them up and get them married with kids. I liked it because of the nude
patches you can install. Instead of making them happy I would build four walls (no doors or windows) around the characters and let them sit there livin in their own piss puddles, bored to death and eventually starved to death. Good times.

It puts the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again. It does this whenever it's told.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 4:47:14 AM EDT
[#2]
There's a Playboy: the Mansion video game?

I take it they'll be releasing "expansion packs" and the end of every year with the last set of playmates?

/Phil

Who fondly remember Little Computer People too.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 8:10:43 AM EDT
[#3]

You are right sir!

Im glad they dont.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 11:54:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Great, just what I need.... Now I can say that I got virtually turned down, along with the real thing!!
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 11:57:04 AM EDT
[#5]

"You can bash someone's head in, or shoot someone in a sniper game, but you can't play a game where you try to score with a girl," he said.

Obviously he hasn't played Leisure Suit Larry.

That's an old school PC game.  I hear they are making a new one.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 12:07:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

One member here uses Leisure Suit Larry holding an AR15 in his membership pic.  Great series of games.

Edited to ad: Yup a new ones coming out

www.leisuresuitlarry.com/flash_index.html?host=
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 12:36:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:Edited to ad: Yup a new ones coming out
www.leisuresuitlarry.com/screens/images/pc_screens/pc_screen_02.jpg
www.leisuresuitlarry.com/flash_index.html?host=

Looks like Mario World with cleavage... I liked the graphic better a ahilw back... I'll play it again when they start making the graphics for that game like those in the Final Fantasy movie... and they have to be x-rated.

Link Posted: 5/14/2004 12:45:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

You can do all that on Grand Theft Auto.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 12:53:16 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can do all that on Grand Theft Auto.

Or in Fallout.

BUT Leisure Suit Larry is ALL about trying to get laid.

Probably the funniest game I've ever played.  I really wish they remake more of those classics, like the Police Quest, Space Quest, Kings Quest series.  Those were some good games.  But the youngin's probably wouldn't like them.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 12:57:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Give me Tempest or Defender any day!
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 1:01:41 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Police Quest, Space Quest, Kings Quest series.  Those were some good games.  But the youngin's probably wouldn't like them.

Hey now, this youngin was raised on those Sierra games

PS You forgot Quest for Glory
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 1:04:43 PM EDT
[#12]
heres a good sierra game ,56k warn

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top