Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/10/2001 5:09:06 AM EDT
Those ofyou who know me know that I have had probs with some discs in my neck.  Went to the orthopedist, and he says time to fuse some vertebrae.  I have to do something, the pain is becoming more than I can deal with, but this fused vertebrae has me spooked.  Any input?  Has anyone been thru this?  I don't want to make it worse.....
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 5:18:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes I have c3-7 fused.
It depends on your surgeon. I've had 2 good ones and has helped with the pain.
If my VA medical care would have done the surgery when I fist started having problems then maybe I would not be in a wheelchair.

My suggestion find a good surgeon and talk with them.
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 5:32:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Remember to get a 2nd opinion, and maybe a 3rd if possible. Even if you have to pay for it yourself.
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 6:15:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 6:33:01 AM EDT
[#4]
talk to someone at the Pittsburgh Back Institute.
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 6:34:58 AM EDT
[#5]
You should definitely get a second opinion. I would suggest a second opinion from a neurosurgeon. Both orthopedists and neurosurgeons do spine surgery. If you have neurologic compromise -- decreased strength or sensation in your arms-- you definitely need surgery. Pain is somewhat subjective. Only you can decide if it is painful enough to consider surgery.

docmac86
(not a neurosurgeon!)
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 7:15:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Dude,
2nd opinion is necessary, AND see if you can find some doc that will do a Micro type of surgery.
I had a micro laminectomy on my back and it was an outpatient procedure. It may not be possible with a neck fusion, but it's worth asking about.

ALso, if you can find a doc that only does NECKS, it would be a good idea....

Good luck and enjoy the morphine!

Link Posted: 11/10/2001 7:43:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Please get a second opinion before doing ANY spine surgery !

Also... here's a great resource:

[url]neuro-mancer.mgh.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=Spinal+Disorders+2&number=212&DaysPrune=1000&LastLogin=[/url]
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 7:57:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Last January I had L4/L5 and L5/S1 disks fused.  These are the two in the lower back.  Before the surgery I had lots of pain and lots of numbness in the left.  After the surgery [u]all[/u] of the leg numbness was gone and some of the pain decreased...so I consider the surgery a success[:D].  

I had a great Doctor that specializes in back, so that made a huge differance.  I still have two other leaking disk right above the ones I had fused but I just plan to live with those and let them heal on their own.  I still have a lot of pain at times, especially when it gets cold, but I rarely have any numbness.

All in all I would do it again if I had too.  But you are the only one that can make the desicion for yourself weather to have it done or not.  There really is nothing to be afraid of as long as you have a good Doctor.  And if you do get it done remember to take  plenty of time to allow yourself to heal.

Good luck and e-mail me if you have any questions.

Sgtar15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top