Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2009 4:51:27 AM EST
The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated. The bureaucracy with an army to enforce it's tyranny, has declared that it has a right not only to tax but to bind us in all cases whatsoever and if being bound in that manner, is not slavery, then is there not such a thing as slavery upon earth.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:59:43 AM EST
you are not alone.

TXL
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:23:48 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/2/2009 5:46:30 AM EST by cbrooks]
Originally Posted By TxLewis:
you are not alone.

TXL

No,I'm not.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:00:06 AM EST
Originally Posted By cbrooks:
The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated. The bureaucracy with an army to enforce it's tyranny, has declared that it has a right not only to tax but to bind us in all cases whatsoever and if being bound in that manner, is not slavery, then is there not such a thing as slavery upon earth.

God I love Thomas Paine's writings. They stir me right down to the soul.
Living in NJ, I read his stuff a lot. To think of the trials and tribulations that were occurring to our new nation with "the hour of judgment" damn near right in my back yard during the Revolution, inspires me to keep fighting when all chips are down. Right now, I can look out of my front window to the same road that Washington's troops marched on on their way to the Battle of Trenton. If I close my eyes I can see them. They didn't quit, and neither will I :)
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:01:17 AM EST
Good stuff right there.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:20:09 AM EST
Excellent, and timeless. It's right up there with 'Liberty Tree', another work by Thomas Paine as well.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:32:30 AM EST
Funny. I just posted the crisis on my site today.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:37:04 AM EST
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:39:13 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/2/2009 6:39:31 AM EST by pyro6988]
That is my sig for my email.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:45:00 AM EST
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:45:32 AM EST
Amen, these are desperate times indeed, and most Americans are completely unaware of this simple fact.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:51:24 AM EST
Amen
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:55:44 AM EST
Can you hear me now?

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:07:01 AM EST
My favorite part is when he condemns the tory tavern owner in Amboy. I've had the misfortune to meet all too many people like that.

My favorite line is "... for though the flame of liberty may sometimes cease to shine, the coal can never expire".
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:11:05 AM EST
Damn...We need 10 million men such as this!
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:16:10 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/2/2009 7:19:08 AM EST by sovereign]
I do not see a "my country." Only a planet overrun by a criminal syndicate calling themselves the government.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:48:45 AM EST
basiclly a few cents tax on a luxuary item led to a tax revolt against a standing ruling class government

we are having our freedomes assaluted, our asses taxed off, many being told how to live, told your stupid and cannot take care of living your life with out the government being involved from the cradle to the grave..
and we bicker on the net
we whine over our wine with our neighbors,
piss and moan at half time while drinking beer during football
ask where todays Thomas Paine, Samual Adams and George Washingtons are while laughing at Glenn Beck for playing Paul Revere..

where ARE the Men to stand up,,who will forsake material goods and comfort for FREEDOMwe seem tohave it happening in NY district 23, we seem to have it happeing in VA and NJ,,can we carry it thru 2010 and restart?
how do we fix the school systems where COMMUNISM has a huge foothold???

CHEF(disabled but can shout from the rooftops and load mags)
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:50:32 AM EST
I love this piece and its just as apt now as it was then...only they acted on it while we sit still.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:20:45 AM EST
Originally Posted By WhirlyGirl45:
I love this piece and its just as apt now as it was then...only they acted on it while we sit still.

Funny how much those out of touch and old white guys really did know.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:49:47 PM EST
Domestic Terrorist!
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:20:14 PM EST
Originally Posted By Terminus:
Domestic Terrorist!

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:22:04 PM EST

truth has no expiration date.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:17:36 AM EST

truth has no expiration date.

... and too often, history repeats itself. Are we about to repeat history?

Top Top