Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/15/2009 1:40:35 AM EDT
Here's the dilemma.  

I built a house this year.  The HVAC guy installed the heat pump but didn't do it well and I'm busy correcting his mistakes.  Mostly done.  Overall, the system works well now.  

Anyway, the house is a 2 story house with 750 sq ft on the downstairs part and about 1050 on the upstairs part.  There is an air return on both floors.  Idealy, the house would have a separate HVAC system for both floors.  We do not have a separate system and are not going to install a separate system.  

The thermostat is on the first floor.

Since the upstairs has more square footage, I think that the thermostat should be on the second floor.  I would like to move it from the first floor up to the second floor.  Part of the reason is that we have a pellet stove in the same room as the thermostat downstairs.  As you can imagine, when the pellet stove is running, the heat pump will not kick on due to the high temps near the thermostat.  I would like the pellet stove to supplement the heat pump in low temps.  The extra heat from the pellet stove should prevent the electric strips from coming on while still moving enough air and adding enough heat so that the house stays confortable throughout.  

So, here's the question.  Is there a wireless thermostat that I can install?  Simply put, a little box downstairs at the existing thermostat and then the actual temperature sensing unit upstairs.  The upstairs unit would send the signal to the box downstairs and the box downstairs would direct the heat pump to turn on and off as needed.

Does such a thing exist?  If so, where can I get one?

I know the other solution is to simply move the wire to upstairs.  Unfortunately that is easier said than done.  Yes it can be done but I don't want to do it!!

In today's wireless age, there is wireless everything.  So is there a wireless thermostat that I can buy???

Thanks for the help!!!!
Link Posted: 1/16/2009 5:43:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Honeywell's "Vision Pro" series 8000 accepts a remote temp sensor which over-rides the internal temperature sensor.  Some models even allow for multiple remote sensors and averages the temp.  I use this model with a geothermal heat pump so it should work in your application.  

This model needs to be programmed after you wire it.  You'll need to program everything from the time to the number of heat/cooling stages for your system.  Plan on about 15 minutes to get everything set.  

I bought mine local but they're cheaper from internet dealers.  Obviously you'll also need to buy the remote indoor temperature sensor (part #C7189U1005 in my manual).
Link Posted: 1/16/2009 6:32:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info.  

I was able to find what I wanted with about 15 mins of Googleing.

Here's what I ordered.  I ordered the T55 one complete...we'll see how it works!!

Wireless thermostat
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 6:08:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Instead of doing all that, why not just operate your system with the fan running constantly. Heat rises, with fan running it will pull the heat into your return and eventually even out both floors. You would be able to heat with the pellet stove. As far as wanting seperate systems for each floor. Not needed. Most companys can control seperate floors with electronnic dampers in the duct work. With your square footage I would just use the fan and heat with the pellet stove.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 4:34:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Instead of doing all that, why not just operate your system with the fan running constantly. Heat rises, with fan running it will pull the heat into your return and eventually even out both floors. You would be able to heat with the pellet stove. As far as wanting seperate systems for each floor. Not needed. Most companys can control seperate floors with electronnic dampers in the duct work. With your square footage I would just use the fan and heat with the pellet stove.

I tried that but it doesn't spread the heat out like I wanted.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top